Problem with Ubuntu install on Acer predator triton 500 PT515-52

Options
Andrii82
Andrii82 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,
I have an ACER Predator Triton 500 PT515-52 with 1 TB SSD

When I try to install Ubuntu it says: " In the BIOS menu, change the hard disk controller type to AHCI ". But I unable to find such menu.

Please help.

Best Answer

• Axe306
    Axe306 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Him all, i had the same issue, so i followed "R6E7980XE" (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/613190/how-to-change-sata-mode-to-ahci-no-setting-on-bios-acer-switch-5-sw512-52 ) steps and it worked fine. here is the exact and clear steps that i did:
    1. Boot system on safemode first, then uninstalled RST RAID driver once.
    2. Restart the system and during the reboot press F2 to enter the Bios/UEFI.
    3. In the Bios/UEFI interface, select second tab then hit Ctrl+S to enable hidden menu "Sata Mode" and change "Optane with RAID" to "AHCI".
    4. Save setting end exit.
    5. Reboot the system normally and it will not boot correctly (Windows can't boot). You will have a Windows blue screen with the option to troubleshoot)
    6. Use this option to boot the system on safemode.
    7. Restart the computer and it's done.

For information : My computer is a Predator PT315-52 | Model Name: PT315-52 | Part Number: NH.Q7AAA.001, the Bios/UEFI version is v1.01.

Thanks for your help guys.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Is there anything under advanced of boot? I think I remeber seeing this in the bios
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Andrii82 said:
    Hello,
    I have an ACER Predator Triton 500 PT515-52 with 1 TB SSD

When I try to install Ubuntu it says: " In the BIOS menu, change the hard disk controller type to AHCI ". But I unable to find such menu.

Please help.
    Can you list the steps you followed?

Here is the post with what I did to install Linux - shown is Nitro 5, but same I tested on my Predator too and it worked.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/585144/guide-installing-linux-on-nitro-5-an515-42

Also, the process outlined would differ slightly where i selected hard disk - i installed to an external ssd... you can try that with your internal one if you are installing to internal one.

The reason why I installed to external SSD - I could simply attach it and boot from USB whenever I wanted Linux. Otherwise it would simply go into Windows. Also windows is finicky in its updates could always overwrite my boot/grub and mess it up; so i prefered having linux on USB 3 port connected SSD.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • nesko
    nesko Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2020
    Options
    This is not working on my triton 500 because kubuntu can't find the local device.
    There is no way even in the Bios advanced menu to change RIAD setting for the system.

For sri369: Installing linux on external drive is completely different story compared to replacing windows on local computer so your guide is of no use.

• sri369
    Options
    nesko said:
    For sri369: Installing linux on external drive is completely different story compared to replacing windows on local computer so your guide is of no use.
    It shouldn't be. Instead of selecting a disk connected via USB, you'd be selecting local hard disk. But anyways, I don't own that device to comment on that.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Leostat
    Options
    The reason it is is due to the disk controller, with an external drive, the controller is usually converting data or nvme to usb and that's the thing Ubuntu can talk to as it's just a standard device in /Dev which is then exposed as a disk. With your drive internally your UEFI may treat it differently based on what it can do, for example ahci builds up on the data standard, and hardware raid is handled by some other chip to expose the disk array as one. If box doesnt have a driver to talk to the ahci controler, it can't fall back to basic sata as the UEFI just doesn't speak it by the sounds of it  (At least that's how I think it works, never really looked into it!)

If I get mine back ever I will look at it for you :)
  • LiveWires
    LiveWires Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I'm currently having a discussion in regards to Linux on ACER hardware products if its covered by warranty, as it claims according to the Tech Support it is not (warranty clause is not specific in the matter), hopefully that is of not of concern for you.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/965170#Comment_965170
    In regards to installing a Linux OS with a EFI on a UEFI bios system (unable to change), is setting up your partitions during the installation with a EFI boot partition (YouTube has tutorials) and be sure the Linux OS you are choosing supports it. There are forums and articles in regards to this. Facebook group call Linux Group may be able to help you with more details.

• Leostat
    Options
    The hardware coverage is fine warranty wise, and at the end of the day if your sending ins laptop, you are always better re flashing your is fresh, who sends in a laptop with data on!

I don't think it's the efi Ness as ubuntu 20 deffo supports this, it's the disk controller itself the stage before partitioning (you used to see this with windows xp and vista to)
  • Andrii82
    Options
    sri369:  Thanks for the answer. I suppose USB boot for Linux will work in any case(until you have the ability to chose a boot device). But it looks like there is no way to install it in the internal drive. The more disappointing thing is: to install Ubuntu on to external drive you need to use some other PC, since Ubuntu doesn't want to follow installation at the time it finds "optine raid mode".

I wouldn't recommend this type of notebooks to Linux developers/enthusiasts at all.
  • Axe306
    Axe306 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Him all, i had the same issue, so i followed "R6E7980XE" (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/613190/how-to-change-sata-mode-to-ahci-no-setting-on-bios-acer-switch-5-sw512-52 ) steps and it worked fine. here is the exact and clear steps that i did:
    1. Boot system on safemode first, then uninstalled RST RAID driver once.
    2. Restart the system and during the reboot press F2 to enter the Bios/UEFI.
    3. In the Bios/UEFI interface, select second tab then hit Ctrl+S to enable hidden menu "Sata Mode" and change "Optane with RAID" to "AHCI".
    4. Save setting end exit.
    5. Reboot the system normally and it will not boot correctly (Windows can't boot). You will have a Windows blue screen with the option to troubleshoot)
    6. Use this option to boot the system on safemode.
    7. Restart the computer and it's done.

For information : My computer is a Predator PT315-52 | Model Name: PT315-52 | Part Number: NH.Q7AAA.001, the Bios/UEFI version is v1.01.

Thanks for your help guys.

• sri369
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @Axe306 What software is that? Where did you download it from? I do not have it on any of my laptops. If that's BIOS screenshots - none of my laptops BIOSes are that advanced - Predator 300, Nitro 5 or Nitro 7.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Andrii82
    Options
    @Axe306  : Good point! I've tried "Ctrl+S" and it works. Wery big thanks for that! Will try to install Ubuntu tomorrow.

@sri369 : It is a BIOS screenshots same as on mine predator.