Does Linux Void Warranty in Australia?

Options
LiveWires
LiveWires Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited March 20 in 2020 Archives
Date:21/12/2020
Does anyone know any specific details on their warranty and what is voided and not covered/covered to Operating System "Software" changes?

I've been looking for what warranties cover on the ACERs website in Australia in regards to changing the operating system "software" from Windows to Linux (or any OS) as I can not seem to find one in regards to what is covered and not. I had contacted the ACER team and they emailed me in regards to this matter and refused to tell me where such clause is located on the warranty from their website and the warranty card that is given with my newly purchase laptop and from any contract of purchase from store of what operating system "Software" is limited to my device.
Below I have provided an email and what is available online with the Australian warranty listing as this is the closes to anything related to an Operating System "software".

Edited the content to hide sensitive information.

Answers

• LiveWires
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Recent reply in no clarification of location in regards to Operating Systems and dedicated to Windows only or what is specifically covered in the warranty if an Operating System is changed, what is voided. I accept that software and Windows support would no longer be covered, but does Manufacture Hardware excluded as well. In previous documentation from email one ACER tech support team member states it is covered providing the Operating System is not the cause of said hardware issues.

• LiveWires
    Options
    So far, there is 2 different responses on what is acceptable for ACER warranty in regards to changing an OS to a recently purchased laptop.
    With no clarification on this documentation supplied by them or what is specific.

Source of warranty information:
    https://static.acer.com/up/Resource/Acer/Docs/AU/20200130/Acer_Warranty_ANZ.pdf

General Provisions and Exclusions
    Acer warrants that the device you have purchased is free from manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship when dispatched from our warehouse. During the warranty period as indicated above, the Acer Authorised Repair Centre will, at no additional charge, replace defective parts with new parts or serviceable parts that are equivalent to new parts in performance. All replaced or exchanged parts, which are taken out under this warranty, become the sole property of Acer. *Onsite services are strictly limited to a distance not exceeding 50 km from an Acer authorised service provider. All onsite servicing and repairs will be carried out within standard business hours of between 09:00-17:00 Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays. It remains the users responsibility to ensure they make their device ready and available at the time of the scheduled onsite service, and to provide a clear working area for the onsite service provider to complete their repairs. All requests for after-hours or weekend onsite service will be quoted at current applicable hourly rates to you, and strictly dependant on after-hours or weekend service availability. In the event where an onsite service provider is not available, Acer will make arrangements to have your device repaired at our service centres, using one of our nominated logistics partners. In the event of a return to base warranty repair, it remains the users responsibility to ensure they suitably pack their device to ensure safe transit to our service centre.

Any damages resulting from improper and/or inadequate packing shall not be considered as product faults and may incur a charge for rectification, if repairable. Acer reserves the right to undertake its own inspection/assessment of any Acer-branded device and further reserves the right to complete its inspection or assessment at our nominated service centres as deemed appropriate. Acer reserves the right to deem any device as Beyond Economical Repair (BER). All goods must have a repair authorisation number issued by Acer, prior to being sent into our service centres. This warranty does not extend to any product purchased from other than an Acer Authorised Reseller. This warranty does not apply and, at Acer’s discretion, becomes void if the product has been physically damaged or rendered defective: (a) as a result of accident, misuse, or abuse, or other circumstances beyond Acer’s control; (b) by the use of parts or peripherals not manufactured or supplied by Acer; (c) as a result of normal wear and tear; (d) by use within an improper operating environment; (e) by modification of the product; (f) by the serial number being removed or defaced; (g) as a result of services rendered by anybody other than an Acer authorised repairer; (h) as a result of the product being operated otherwise than in accordance with Acer’s instructions or; (i) as a result of liquid/chemical damage, exposure to bodily fluids and/or solids, or damage resulting from vermin, insect or other pest infestation.

Software-related faults resulting from incorrect software installation or usage, viruses or other malicious applications, or other computer program errors shall not be considered as product faults and may incur a charge for rectification, if requested. It remains the users responsibility to keep useable archive backups of all data and to reload all software following any maintenance or repair work (except the operating system). Acer is not responsible for damage to, or loss of, any programs, data, or removable storage media, including any consequential loss or damage. Acer is also not responsible for future upgrades of software products bundled with Acer Products and make no assurances or guarantees that devices will support or be compatible with any software releases or updates, or hardware not configured and provided by Acer Computer. All devices repaired by Acer’s service centres will be restored to their original factory configurations. Repairs made by Acer Authorised Personnel will be chargeable at current applicable hourly rates to you if: (a) the technician finds the problem is user related; (b) caused by change in normal settings of the computer, or (c) software issue not covered under our standard warranty. This warranty is given in addition to the other remedies that are conferred to you by the law. As part of Acer’s validation and/or verification process, we reserve the right to undertake further assessment of the device, or ask the user to undertake simple and reasonable troubleshooting measures to test their device. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. 

Pixel Policy
    The LCD screen is manufactured using high precision technology. Due to the complex nature of the manufacturing process, the screen may have cosmetic defects that appears as (bright, dark and colour) dots on the screen. This does not impair the performance of the product and is not considered defective in the industry. Acer reserves the right to refuse a warranty claim for repair or replacement of the LCD panel if the number of defective dots falls within the manufacturers specification. 
  • LiveWires
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Another email, as I stated to them before, I have not made any changes to the operating system, only stated I wish to install a Linux OS and where in the warranty is it located about changing an OS and if you use another OS is the hardware warranty covered? As previously mentioned, 1 tech support member has stated yes its covered providing the operating system was not the cause of the faults on the hardware, in regards to this I asked where in the warranty is this clause implemented before I proceed to change the OS?

• LiveWires
    edited December 2020
    Options
    With previous conversation with ACER support, in reply to a warranty question about hardware and if it's void.

Hi Francis Marla,

In response to your reply, as you have stated:
    "Based on the warranty details, there is no specific information about the dedicated OEM Windows operating system for Acer devices."

As to my understanding ACER products is not dedicated to Windows OS with information supplied, so back to my original question is the hardware still covered if the fault is not of software issue? In stating that, the BIOS stays the same default settings, hardware is still the same settings and nothing changed and original factory settings, as in per warranty clause there is no "upgrade" being done. Only "upgrades" applicable to the clause is updating software pre-installed in original purchase (may/may not be avoided due to compatibility problems with updated/upgrade patch fixes and including drivers suited with ACER hardware) of the laptop, including Windows OS (can not be avoided in Windows Operating system settings) and Hardware.

"Software-related faults resulting from incorrect software installation or usage, viruses or other malicious applications, or other computer program errors shall not be
    considered as product faults and may incur a charge for rectification, if requested. It remains the users responsibility to keep useable archive backups of all data and to
    reload all software following any maintenance or repair work (except the operating system). Acer is not responsible for damage to, or loss of, any programs, data, or
    removable storage media, including any consequential loss or damage. Acer is also not responsible for future upgrades of software products bundled with Acer
    Products and make no assurances or guarantees that devices will support or be compatible with any software releases or updates, or hardware not configured and
    provided by Acer Computer. All devices repaired by Acer’s service centres will be restored to their original factory configurations."

As its stated the software is not covered including in a Windows OS as software has to be updated/upgraded (eg: virus scanner) included with original factory software pre-installed by ACER.
    "Acer is also not responsible for future upgrades of software products bundled with Acer
    Products and make no assurances or guarantees that devices will support or be compatible with any software releases or updates, or hardware not configured and provided by Acer Computer."

Will ask the same question again in the clause that is supplied in the warranty by ACER with a Linux OS on the laptop is hardware covered by warranty that's including the fault is not caused by any software? Including under Consumer Law in Australia.

Regards
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    Wow! Why this sounds so familiar? Acer is getting close to the fruit logo company! So you have a black box and can`t do nothing with it right? Wow once again!
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• LiveWires
    edited December 2020
    Options
    batmalin said:
    Wow! Why this sounds so familiar? Acer is getting close to the fruit logo company! So you have a black box and can`t do nothing with it right? Wow once again!
    Yes, and as you can see what they have mentioned in their clause of warranty, and avoided my question in total in regards to the hardware (not software related) and in detail if it is in their warranty they had issued of purchase within Consumer Law in Australia. Only 1 tech support has stated it was ok (Request was if the hardware was covered and where would it be found in the clause of your warranty?) and the other had stated no. Still no full verification on either party, ACER so far now has only wish to communicate via phone and no longer via text based of communication.
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    How will they prove that linux caused HW failure?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• LiveWires
    edited December 2020
    Options
    batmalin said:
    How will they prove that linux caused HW failure?
    If you look at the warranty in paragraph 2 (link supplied below), they have stated it as a modification or alteration. I've just sent another email to a recent reply from them in regards to what is and what is not in the warranty and conflicts regardless of an OS and including there is nothing stating the device is, not specified to or dedicated to any operating system. Will have to wait for their reply in this matter. Will post the conversation in regards to the matter.

Warranty
    https://static.acer.com/up/Resource/Acer/Docs/AU/20200130/Acer_Warranty_ANZ.pdf
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Options

Hi @LiveWires,

I am very sorry to hear this, unfortunately, the Acer Community is not a direct portal to Customer service, the Acer Forum Discussions were designed as a peer to peer support community where Acer users help other Acer users. Many Acer employees (Moderators), read the various topics posted here and you will notice that some Acer employees interact with members when appropriate, primarily we want the community to be a place where members can exchange their own advice and ideas.

Only your local support services can help you with this, the community is not an escalation channel, unfortunately.

Note:  This thread will be now closed.

Link: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/service-contact

Sorry for any inconveniences this has caused you,

Regards,

Acer-Samuel

This discussion has been closed.