How to change SATA mode to AHCI, no setting on BIOS. ACER SWITCH 5 SW512-52

Options
Internetlag
Internetlag Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, Ive been trying to change my sata mode from RAID to AHCI. The computer is running really slowly and I've been told this helps with the SSD responsiveness. Ive put the computer into safe mode but hit cntrl + S does not make a secret sata option appear. I really need help with this. I love the laptop and I really don't want to send it back. I updated to bios 1.09 and its using the UEFI setup utility 5.0. 

Answers

• Internetlag

Tinkerer

Options
    if anyone has a solution please let me know.
  • laurent_14
    Options
    Hello,
    1. What is the version of Windows 10? 1903,1909 or 2004?
    2. Do you have an Intel 600p SSD?
    3. What is the version of the Intel RST driver?
    France
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you check the health of the ssd with the crystaldiskinfo program? Also, have you checked how much free space is still available on the ssd? When the ssd is running low on free space, the ssd may be slow. In addition, I advise you to activate the TRIM command.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Internetlag

Tinkerer

Options
    Can you check the health of the ssd with the crystaldiskinfo program? Also, have you checked how much free space is still available on the ssd? When the ssd is running low on free space, the ssd may be slow. In addition, I advise you to activate the TRIM command.
    The SSD health is at 100% in crystal disk info, I checked that when I first purchased the laptop. I reinstalled windows and the drivers so the ssd is practically empty. I'll try the trim command.
  • Internetlag

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello,
    1. I have windows 10 version number 2004
    2. the SSD model name is INTEL SSDPEKKW256G7, that is what is shown inside the UEFI of the laptop
    3. I have the intel RST driver thats available on the driver page for this laptop. its the version 15.2.0.1020
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hello,
    2. the SSD model name is INTEL SSDPEKKW256G7, that is what is shown inside the UEFI of the laptop
    3. I have the intel RST driver thats available on the driver page for this laptop. its the version 15.2.0.1020
    Now I remember why I updated the Intel RST application and driver. Read this Intel topic. I would suggest you to update this driver with the Setup.exe file. Here is the latest one. You should also see the update in the SATA AHCI controller:
    FYI, I own a SW512-52 (I5-7200U - Intel 600p SSD - Windows 10 1909) too and the IRST driver version is 17.5.2.1024.
    France
  • Internetlag

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello,
    Now I remember why I updated the Intel RST application and driver. Read this Intel topic. I would suggest you to update this driver with the Setup.exe file. Here is the latest one. You should also see the update in the SATA AHCI controller:
    FYI, I own a SW512-52 (I5-7200U - Intel 600p SSD - Windows 10 1909) too and the IRST driver version is 17.5.2.1024.
    So I just run the setup and update RST? Do I have to change any settings in the BIOS
  • Internetlag

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello,
    for the storage controller I dont see a SATA AHCI controller only Intel(R) SATA/PCIE RST premium controller and Intel(R) NVMe Controller.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Try this procedure:
    a) press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to system startup and activate safeboot.
    b) then restart windows. Then, uninstall and delete this driver:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Internetlag

Tinkerer

Options
    Try this procedure:
    a) press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to system startup and activate safeboot.
    b) then restart windows. Then, uninstall and delete this driver:

I tried it and it just reinstalled the same driver again. I'm going to have to return it if I cant get this sorted. I tried acers 3rd party support and acer support it self just to see how to switch a bios option from raid to ahci and I just got referred to each other multiple times without getting anywhere.  
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Are you sure that windows is installed on the ssd and not on a hard drive? Can you provide the exact model? example SW512-52-58VH.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Internetlag

Tinkerer

Options
    Are you sure that windows is installed on the ssd and not on a hard drive? Can you provide the exact model? example SW512-52-58VH.
    All I get in bios is this SW512-52. Its not on a hard drive because there is no other drive to install it on it. There is one intel SSD in the system.

• R6E7980XE
    R6E7980XE Member Posts: 145 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    1. Boot system on safemode first , then trying to uninstall RST RAID driver once. Reboot.
    2. Hit F2 enter bios select second tab of BIOS then hit Ctrl+S to enable hidden menu change Optane with RAID to AHCI. 
    3. Save setting end exit.
     B) 

Core i9 7980XE RAMPAGE 6 EXTREME BIOS 3403 Intel 02006B06 MCU 2021-03-18 VROC VMD 7.5.0.1152 RST 18.34.0.1000 ME FW 11.12.86.1877 DV 2050.100.0.1053 WHQL 64GB GSKILL @3.2GHz 16-18-18-38 2T POSEIDON 1080i GTX  + NVIDIA Driver 471.22 WHQL/ AX1200i / 3 x 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS + OMS Driver 18.34.0.1000  Intel i219 V PHY UNDI OROM / Boot Agent 0.0.29 / 0.1.16 / 12.19.1.37  AQUANTIA AQC 107n FW 4.2.32 AQC 2.2.3.0  NZXT CAM 4.25.0 
    Realtek HD 6.0.9161.1 WHQL 

Core i7 1065G7 Acer Swift 5 514-54GT BIOS 1.21 SP Intel 00000096 DATE 2020-09-09 MCU FW 13.0.40.1594 DV 2050.100.0.1053 WHQL 16GB SK Hynix LPDDR4 @ 5.32GHz 24-24-24-56 1T  Intel Iris Plus GPU 30.0.100.9684  NVidia GeForce MX250 + NVIDIA Driver 471.22 Intel NVME 600P PCIE x 4  Firmware PSF121C 1TB + OMS Driver AHCI MODE 18.34.0.100 Intel Wi Fi AX 201 22.0.40.7 Intel Bluetooth 22.0.40.7  Intel SGX 2.12.103.1 Synaptic Audio 9.0.282.110
    Smart Audio 3 GUI version 1.2.1.18 

Microsoft Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.71

• laurent_14
    Options
    Hello,
    for the storage controller I dont see a SATA AHCI controller only Intel(R) SATA/PCIE RST premium controller and Intel(R) NVMe Controller.
    Hello,
    Yes you are agree. Sorry it was a screenshot from another laptop. Did you install the latest Intel RST driver/application?
    France
  • Internetlag

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello,
    Hello,
    Yes you are agree. Sorry it was a screenshot from another laptop. Did you install the latest Intel RST driver/application?
    yes I did
  • Internetlag

Tinkerer

Options
    R6E7980XE said:
    1. Boot system on safemode first , then trying to uninstall RST RAID driver once. Reboot.
    2. Hit F2 enter bios select second tab of BIOS then hit Ctrl+S to enable hidden menu change Optane with RAID to AHCI. 
     B) 

I followed the instructions. Booted into safe mode and uninstalled the driver in device manager. Went into bios hit control on the second menu. Nothing happened. 
  • Internetlag

Tinkerer

Options
    R6E7980XE said:
     B) 

I followed the instructions. Booted into safe mode and uninstalled the driver in device manager. Went into bios hit control on the second menu. Nothing happened. 
    Control + S*
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,735 Trailblazer
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Ctrl+S in MAIN tab of bios. What is the version bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Kid_Maverik
    Kid_Maverik Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I'm having this same issue. There's no secret menu in the BIOS when CTRL+S is input. I'm running Acer BIOS v1.29. Any help with this would be appreciated. Very underwhelmed by Acer's support.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Kid_Maverik you should start your own thread with your issue. Include the full model number (like SW512-52-xxxx), the symptoms you are seeing and what you expect instead, and what you have tried so far.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.