PH315-51 showing black screen after one hour of web surfing

Answers

• Jagan316
    Jagan316 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi all,

The official BIOS v.1.15 update (to resolve this system hang up, force shut-down then black screen issues) is now available here

Special thanks to Roland_Lorinczi for keeping up with this thread and keeping everyone informed as well.

Thank you all again for your patience,

Acer-Manny 

Does the newly bought laptops comes with the BIOS updated? Or should i install it in the first place?
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Jagan316 said:

Hi all,

The official BIOS v.1.15 update (to resolve this system hang up, force shut-down then black screen issues) is now available here

Special thanks to Roland_Lorinczi for keeping up with this thread and keeping everyone informed as well.

Thank you all again for your patience,

Acer-Manny 

Does the newly bought laptops comes with the BIOS updated? Or should i install it in the first place?
    Since the laptops are not "made to order" I imagine this would need to be installed on all the latest model shipments.

The process does not take long (less than 5 minutes). A small sacrifice to ensure the longevity of your uninterrupted computing experience.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Jagan316 said:
    The laptops you buy were out of the manufacturing facility about 6 months or so ago (maybe even more than that).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Jagan316
    Jagan316 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Should i buy predator helios 300 i5 8300h, Is it faulty product? If its not up to the mark can you tell me an allternative please. I need a good gaming laptop in 60k rupees of budjet.
  • Red-Sand
    Jagan316 said:l
    Should i buy predator helios 300 i5 8300h, Is it faulty product? If its not up to the mark can you tell me an allternative please. I need a good gaming laptop in 60k rupees of budjet.
    The issue the 8th gen Helios was having had been resolved via BIOs update.
    It is a purchase I think you would be pleased with 😁
    - Hotel Hero
  • ManasK
    ManasK Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi All,
    The black screen problem has vanished. But my battery life is now low almost by 20-25%. Anyone else experienced that ?
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    @ManasK Battery doesn't really last long on this device however it was never claimed to.

It's more of a portable desktop replacement - you take it with you and plug it in - kind of deal.

It can last you about the length of a movie on battery in my experience if not on full brightness and volume...but you can't expect much more than that on battery ( And I knew that going in - it is a desktop replacement gaming rig with a good bang to buck ratio in hardware...)

Of course if you're experiencing abnormal levels or a fault with it ( not going past 25% charge?...) that's another matter and you should contact your local acer repair shop.
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Eusebius
    Eusebius Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

Just let you know. I have the ph315-51 and i updated bios like a half a month ago and still got freeze and only problems. The laptop dont want to shut down and im force to force it. I tried everything on internet by far. Just going to call the service soon.
  • Nic011
    Nic011 Member Posts: 3 New User
    i just bought a acer nitro 5, same problem and issue (lag evrywhere), i cant play dota 2 csgo, i did the solution written above by Acer-MAnny (update BIOS etc.) but it didnt work at all. Please Help me
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @Nic011 I hope you didn't update your Acer Nitro 5 with the Predator Helios BIOS update though :| Also - It's a different issue entirely than what this thread had. Start a new thread maybe or see if others have done so already and join an existing thread perhaps. Also I'd try to troubleshoot if it's a hardware issue or driver/OS. try linux, see if you get the same issue (obviously with games that are optimized for linux) to rule out hardware issue. Then if it isn't hardware put a different version of windows and see and try different driver versions? Or maybe all you'l need is an SSD. Run a test on your current read & write speeds and on your ram and cpu to see what's the bottleneck - probably even less time-consuming than ruling out if it's hardware issue so maybe start with that and then check with linux if you can't make any progress checking what's the bottleneck in your current setup.

Instructions for FIX

💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • sri369
    Nic011 said:
    i just bought a acer nitro 5, same problem and issue (lag evrywhere), i cant play dota 2 csgo, i did the solution written above by Acer-MAnny (update BIOS etc.) but it didnt work at all. Please Help me
    It might help to post in nitro forums (this is predator only, and solutions here may or may not help nitro).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Nic011
    hello evryone, i have 4 gb ram, but i can use only 1.6 gb ram.. is it the reason why i cant play dota smoothly? why am i ecountering lag evrytime im playing dota or csgo? i mean dota its noy like pubg, but instead its only a basic game. My friend told me that maybe the solution for me is to extend my ram up to 8 gb, is he telling the right solution for me? please help me
     full info:
    acer nitro i5 7300 windows 10
    nvidia 1050 gtx 4 gb
  • sri369

Nic011 said:
    hello evryone, i have 4 gb ram, but i can use only 1.6 gb ram.. is it the reason why i cant play dota smoothly? why am i ecountering lag evrytime im playing dota or csgo? i mean dota its noy like pubg, but instead its only a basic game. My friend told me that maybe the solution for me is to extend my ram up to 8 gb, is he telling the right solution for me? please help me
     full info:
    nvidia 1050 gtx 4 gb
    Check if your OS is 32 bit or 64. If it is 64 bit, it won't take more than 4, even if you installed more than 8. This is the limitation of 32 bit OS.

The games you mentioned are heavy ones, so increasing RAM to 8 or 16 could help in making them smoother.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Nic011
    sri369 said:

Nic011 said:
     full info:
    nvidia 1050 gtx 4 gb
    Check if your OS is 32 bit or 64. If it is 64 bit, it won't take more than 4, even if you installed more than 8. This is the limitation of 32 bit OS.

The games you mentioned are heavy ones, so increasing RAM to 8 or 16 could help in making them smoother.
    Thanks dude, fortunately,  i have 64 bit, i guess i can extend my ram up to 8 or 12 gb. 
  • INEEDHELPPLZZZZZZZZZ
    INEEDHELPPLZZZZZZZZZ Member Posts: 4 New User
    @Roland_Lorinczi Hey, I have just recently bought this laptop the helios 300, after 1 hour of using it screen became frozen including mouse cursor and keyboard= forced shut down , now black screen and keyboard lights up

Anyway, so i need help, how do i do that bio thing, i downloaded+unzip into laptop into a usb and plug into the laptop and turned on, nothing happened, and i cant do this on my laptop, also cant connect too monitor

Plz help 

<3
  • Red-Sand
    You just unzip and run the program to update your bios.. you dont need a usb.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @INEEDHELPPLZZZZZZZZZ If you're not able to turn your laptop back on, press the pinhole in the back of the machine (the bottom part) where there's a little marking, with a sim eject tool or a pin. That should help you get far enough to turn it on again.

Then as @Red-Sand said: unzip and run the executable file. Make sure you're battery is charged and the laptop is plugged in. The fans will speed up to 100% while the process is being done - that's normal. Just let it complete and restart on it's own and it should work fine from then on.

Do you're research though. Flashing a BIOS is something that isn't completely risk-free. Though it's rare that you fail it but theoretically if you have a power-outage RIGHT during that process, then it will break your BIOS chip and I'm not sure it's recoverable. Though with laptops, the battery could be able to sustain the process even during a power outage. Not sure, and these ARE extreme cases but you want to know as much as you can going in.

Did you just buy it new? Do you still have warranty? Maybe you'd like your local Acer sevice center to do it for you. Did you make sure the model number and BIOS you downloaded are compatible (should be but just to be sure...).

Again, if you're confident in your skills this isn't complicated or anything, but you don't strike me as someone who's very experienced with such things so I'd advise you to do research to know what you're doing.

That being said, technically it's as simple as @Red-Sand said: just run it and it's good to go as soon as the process is complete.
    And you shouldn't experience any more freeze/black screen issues. Solved it for all of us.

Instructions for FIX

• INEEDHELPPLZZZZZZZZZ
    Hey @Roland_Lorinczi
    I do have warranty on the store and  Acer Service Centre

i have downloaded and extracted the BIOS and everything ran well no freezes or anything. It was when a few shutdowns later ( next day) i turned off the laptop and reopened it. I entered password and now it's just a black screen with my cursor (able to move it) .

Does this mean i did the process wrong?

ty
  • INEEDHELPPLZZZZZZZZZ
    * Also tried to do the battery reset, but that does not work

• INEEDHELPPLZZZZZZZZZ
    UPDATE!

Before enetering password, i pressed restart and after that restart it started working again, i did another test shutting down and entering password and worked, idk what the problem is, but i feel like there's something wrong. But i will keep you guys updated if anything happens
This discussion has been closed.