PH315-51 showing black screen after one hour of web surfing

vkmbca29
vkmbca29 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Predator Laptops
i purchased predator helios 300 model number -PH315-51 on 16 may 2018 .After one hour of browser use screen get hanged and keyboard and track pad become irresponsive. I forcefully restarted but now its neither strating and black screen is showing with backlit key light on.

Best Answers

• Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Hi All!
    So NEW BIOS IS IN! 
    You'll find them under the following links ( for PH315-51 & PH317-52 respectively. If you have a different model, click "Find another model")
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7603?b=1
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7602?b=1

For PH315-51 you'll find the New BIOS by clicking on ALL rather than LATEST. For 317-52 by clicking on LATEST rather than ALL.
    The BIOS name is: "1. Fix system hangup issue".

📝 Steps to update:

1. Download the BIOS for your system
    2. Unzip File
    3. You'll find an executable (.exe) and a readme.txt hat shows you that your next instruction is:
    4. Click the .exe file while in windows
    Just finished mine. So far so good 😊

The process is the same as before when windows update flashed it:
    • Follow the executable's instructions to the letter!
    • Have your laptop plugged in!
    • The fans will ramp up to max while flashing the firmware.
      Then it will do 2, seemingly boot loops where keyboard lights go on and off but system won't start yet (presumably some checks)
      Then the system should boot.

Good luck all! Let me know if anything is unclear or you're stuck with something - glad to help.

❓ Windows Device Manager however shows BIOS to be v1.12 still. Will check what it says INSYDE (pun intended-get it? cause the BIOS is by Insyde corp? :P) the BIOS and report back.

So far so good though. My system used to have some mini-hangs upon boot while if i wanted to start something like chrome too soon or something it would freeze for a split second along with the mouse and that seems gone...so I'm optimistic :D 

⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓

Hi all,

The official BIOS v.1.15 update (to resolve this system hang up, force shut-down then black screen issues) is now available here

Special thanks to Roland_Lorinczi for keeping up with this thread and keeping everyone informed as well.

Thank you all again for your patience,

Acer-Manny 

Answers

• katty22
    katty22 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

same problem here i resetted the battery it worked, but the problem is repeating any help please?
  • palkansh
    palkansh Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I purchased predator helios 300 model number -PH315-51-574A on 17 may 2018 .It worked fine for two days and on next day screen get hanged and keyboard and track pad become irresponsive. I forcefully restarted but now its neither strating and black screen is showing with backlit key light on.
    Please help out me to solve this issue as soon as possible.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    You can hold the pin hole reset on the bottom of the laptop for 40 seconds to temporarily fix. 

Hopefully a fix is included in the first BIOs update for the 8th gen Helios
    - Hotel Hero
  • vkmbca29
    vkmbca29 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Still after bringing back from service centre again the same problem started , this time SATA hdd was also not showing into the my computer.Yesterday again given back to service centre. Is seems biggest mistake I had ever done.
  • palkansh
    palkansh Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello , I want to get the serial no. of your laptop for whom the problem is coming so that a friend of mine will contact to acer head office india and they will show interest if we get larger no. of cases.
    So please write your product id , serial no. here so I can give them to my friend and it will be so helpful.
  • arean82
    arean82 Member Posts: 5 New User
    I am also having the same problem. Any suggestions on how to resolve it.

Mine is Predator PH315-51

• Manny-Acer_Retired

Hello everyone,

We are sorry that you’re experiencing this black screen issue with your Predator units.  We would like to thank you for reporting this and for providing us with information we can use to investigate this problem.  The issue has been escalated to headquarters and is being investigated.

This topic will be updated once we have a solution for this issue.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• Red-Sand
    edited June 2018
    In the meantime I've heard reports of this helping many who faced random shut offs and black screens... 

1) Press. Pin hole reset while the laptop is unplugged and turned off, holding down the reset button for 40 seconds
    2) Before trying to turn on the laptop, remove the RAM sticks and gently clean the ram pins with an eraser then reinstall. 

It has worked for 10+ Helios owners (8th gen) so far that I know of. 

Let me know if it helps! 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @Red-Sand Seems a bit weird to be honest. I mean I'm open to giving it a go but it's pretty odd.

Especially since:
    1: It's a pretty widely experienced issue
    2: It works for a while at a time...if it wasn't making contact somewhere I'd expect failure from the get-go rather than random crashes. I find it hard to believe the ram pins might be coated in something that would interfere, especially in so many isolated cases.
    3: I just ran a memtest86 with 4 passes and it came back with zero errors. To me it looks like each pin indeed makes adequate contact.

I'll still give it a go though.....I'm becoming pretty desperate... Please inform of any new leads as to what might be causing it.

We just bought a PH317-52 and PH315-51 with my gf less than a month ago. I've experienced the issue 3 times since then and I was happy that my girlfriend got lucky and she didn't at least.

Buuut she just got her first black screen a few minutes ago...It's not what we expected when we got them...

But the thing is, I also understand: new chip, buggy 1803 windows 10 build, driver incompatibilities, outdated BIOS...something could be off and they had to rush with the launch and couldn't test extensively - I can get that!

I'd just appreciate if we'd have some follow-up, at least informing us what may be causing it...like say "hey everyone, a CPU driver is having a conflict with windows...the boys are working on it...you'll be sorted in a week or two" or something.

The worst thing is, not knowing what's up...

So @Acer-Manny, if you happen to have any updates: please let us know.
    Thank you for escalating the issue in the first place by the way!

Thanks in advance!

Instructions for FIX

💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • therealsujith
    therealsujith Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

@Red-Sand Seems a bit weird to be honest. I mean I'm open to giving it a go but it's pretty odd.

Especially since:
    1: It's a pretty widely experienced issue
    2: It works for a while at a time...if it wasn't making contact somewhere I'd expect failure from the get-go rather than random crashes. I find it hard to believe the ram pins might be coated in something that would interfere, especially in so many isolated cases.
    3: I just ran a memtest86 with 4 passes and it came back with zero errors. To me it looks like each pin indeed makes adequate contact.

I'll still give it a go though.....I'm becoming pretty desperate... Please inform of any new leads as to what might be causing it.

We just bought a PH317-52 and PH315-51 with my gf less than a month ago. I've experienced the issue 3 times since then and I was happy that my girlfriend got lucky and she didn't at least.

Buuut she just got her first black screen a few minutes ago...It's not what we expected when we got them...

But the thing is, I also understand: new chip, buggy 1803 windows 10 build, driver incompatibilities, outdated BIOS...something could be off and they had to rush with the launch and couldn't test extensively - I can get that!

I'd just appreciate if we'd have some follow-up, at least informing us what may be causing it...like say "hey everyone, a CPU driver is having a conflict with windows...the boys are working on it...you'll be sorted in a week or two" or something.

The worst thing is, not knowing what's up...

So @Acer-Manny, if you happen to have any updates: please let us know.
    Thank you for escalating the issue in the first place by the way!

Thanks in advance!
    this is my exact same feeling.
    If @Acer-Manny knows something please update the information on this problem.

• Roland_Lorinczi
    @therealsujith I'm trying everything I can find to troubleshoot while we wait for official responses.
    My latest lead for what we could try (just applied the changes and waiting to see if it helps):

Could you guys also try this please so we have a more conclusive test to see if this is indeed the issue we're facing?
    @vkmbca29 , @take2rohit, @katty22, @palkansh, @arean82, @Red-Sand.

And again, @Acer-Manny please keep in touch and update us.
    I've also been added to a WhatsApp group (named Acer sucks...) with 33 participants...I think it's safe to assume it's a pretty wide-spread problem and a lot of us care to know what you may know that we don't...

Is it a software/driver/bios/hardware issue?...will we get an update or will a hardware recall be issued?

And mind you, I'm one of the patient ones trying to help and enough of an Acer fanboy (been using Acer laptops since 2010 / 8 years) that I didn't run back to return my unit as many have in the WhatsApp group... But of course I am worried and a bit on edge facing these issues days after the purchase of a brand new laptop. And I know it's not the most expensive but It's not a budget laptop either...It's just a bit of support we're asking for with a product that isn't working as it should out of the box... I do hope you understand how it's not personal or anything but we ARE concerned...and some people might phrase it more harshly....bu for now I don't think it's warranted...but every day that passes and I open the forum and there's no official update from Acer on the matter I'm a bit more disappointed than the day before...

I don't think we're asking for much...Just let us know what's up every day or two till it's figured out, please...We can still work this out, I believe in you guys...Please don't brake that trusts with at least ~40 people that i know of with this issue...

Thanks for your patience, anyone who took the time to read this through   :)

Instructions for FIX

• Roland_Lorinczi
    Sorry for the false hope guys: the turn off SSD set to never didn't solve it :)

Instructions for FIX

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi Roland_Lorinczi,

I can certainly understand the frustration, however, at this time have do not have an ETA from headquarters yet. I can assure you that we are working diligently on this issue and I follow up every day for an update. As soon I get any response with more information from Taiwan I will update the thread immediately.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • praveen001
    praveen001 Member Posts: 23 Networker
     today Acer service center contacted me and stayed that they will provide me a software that will solve this issue. i am looking forward . if issue get solved i will update you. 
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @Acer-Manny Thank you for following up!

At this stage it is all I expect, just to know you guys still care and are on it.
    I can understand that it can take some time, and that errors happen - those are frustrating, yes, but understandable.

I also understand your position as representatives, taking the heat, and people maybe even yelling and cursing at you in their frustration...Frustration as you said is understandable but I know it doesn't get us anywhere if i'm hostile with you - you're doing your job and you have to wait on replies from others.

Yet the mere knowing that someone still has their fingers on the pulse here and checks in is comforting so thank you for your reply despite any major developments in the case!

Please do let us know if we can help with any troubleshooting (sending logs, testing troubleshooting steps...) and do let us know if you have any leads on even what the issue might be even in the absence of a solution as of yet.

Just knowing if it's a hardware or software or driver or BIOS issue, just knowing what layer has the issue is a piece of information I'd value a lot as may others. In case you get word.

Thank you for your patience and help Manny! I might still write here every now and again till this is solved - don't take it as pestering as much as a slight need for emotional reassurance...thanks for your patience in advance in the coming days as well - hope to see you around :) (and/or colleagues of yours...as long as we don't have to feel abandoned with our issue)

I think most who ran for refunds and and complaints were most frustrated with that right after being so with the issue itself.

Please be our voice and try to get action taken on our behalf.

Thank you again for the patience and understanding Manny!

Regards,
    Roland

Instructions for FIX

• Red-Sand
    edited June 2018
    I would like to add I have a Helios group on Facebook with 2600+ Helios owners and a fix for those with the Intel SSD is to update the SSDs firmware. 

But I do know that the issue isn't only for those with Intel SSDs.. 

The reason I suggested the pin hole reset is because again I run that Helios group and there's a large number (but not all) that have tried the pin hole + eraser on ram pins because a member of the group had a Acer technician do that for him and everything worked perfect. 

There still are however some still facing the issue. 

So 2 things to try in my experiences (I have a 7th gen so I'm limited on troubleshooting) 
    1) Pin hole reset + Ram pin eraser trick
    2) If you have an Intel SSD go here: 
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27656/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox
    And use that tool to update your firmware. 
    The others will have to wait for Acers response. 

Sorry I can't help more guys. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Hi everyone! As I see @Acer-Manny consolidated the discussion regarding this issue into this thread from the 3 that I know of that had this same topic.

This is a sort-of "Public Service Announcement" to tell you that you can keep being informed of developments to this case via e-mail notifications by hitting the star icon and bookmarking the discussion topic/thread.

I think it's a useful thing to do seeing as how this will be the thread where further developments and discussions will continue.

You can also tweak and customize your notification preferences under "Profile" > "Notification preferences":

Instructions for FIX

• Roland_Lorinczi
    Thank you @Red-Sand for trying to help.

Could you elaborate perhaps a bit on the "eraser trick"? What type of eraser should be used? Harder, less hard? what exactly is the procedure and what could be the explanation for it? I ran memtest86 with 4 passes and had 0 ram issues.

I also have an SSD. The laptop didn't, out of the box, but i bought a brand new WD Blue for the M.2 slot for both my and my girlfriend's laptop (PH317-52 & PH315-51, i7 8750H, GTX 1060).

Is there a fix similar to the intel SSD ones that you know of perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

Instructions for FIX

• CathodeRayTub
    CathodeRayTub Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I'm having the same issue with the Helios 300 - 571 (have had the laptop for a little over a month, purchased from amazon.)

When the laptop is plugged in, there are not many problems.  But if I have it unplugged, it will give me a blue screen of death within minutes, sometimes seconds.  After a battery reset, I get the blue screen of death again.  So it has to be plugged in to work... Fine.. but then why did I buy a laptop?

I haven't reached out to Acer yet and it's too late to return it to Amazon.  I just wanted to add my experience to the list.. AND wanted to see if the people who are having a problem are running into issues on battery power only.  Like I said, while plugged in this problem does not occur.

I sort of wish I did a little research before I spent my money on this thing and purchased a fully functioning laptop instead.
This discussion has been closed.