[Acer Swift 3 SF314-52] Occasional crackling/reverb sound while using the speakers

Answers

• PLux
    PLux Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I'm also carefully positive this is a software issue, as it comes and goes. I've noticed some programs are affected worse than others: youtube for example crackles more than spotify. Also: when connecting a bluetooth speaker it plays smooth and without crackling. So the way the Acer perceives/treats audio as such isn't the issue, just the way the speakers emit it. So, speaker drivers?
    I really feel like Acer should take responsibility for that and acknowledge/solve the problem. I wish i would've read about this in one of the many Swift 3 reviews, if it's a known issue i'm sure Acer gave attention to it.
  • ForumUser001
    ForumUser001 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    PLux said:
    I'm also carefully positive this is a software issue, as it comes and goes. [...] So, speaker drivers?
    Yes, that is what I think too. Needs a new audio driver. Or maybe, an older audio driver might work? Sometimes new Windows Updates and Driver Updates will break perfectly fine and working drivers, and reverting to an older driver does the trick.
  • Norde
    Norde Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Someone know what audio chipset is used in Swift 3 and Spin 5 ?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,265 Trailblazer
    ALC255-CGT for OP's machine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Markslaughter
    Markslaughter Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi all,

Just reading through everyone's comment as frustratingly, I'm having the same issues with my new swift 3. Just wondering if anyone has managed to make any headway with the reverb issues, and if there any solutions rather than just temporary fixes? 

Many thanks!
  • MichielStrubbe
    MichielStrubbe Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Still no durable solution, I think the quickest way to solve it temporary is like @Norde said by following these steps.
    ( By the way, thanks @Norde , this solution realy helped me a lot! ;) )

" -> i.e. these steps:

Go to Start , enter Sound, and select Sound Control Panel from the list of results.

On the Playback tab, right-click (or press and hold) the Default Device, and then select Properties.

On the Advanced tab, under Default Format, change the setting, and then retest your audio device. "

• Markslaughter
    Thanks for this advice. When you say 'change the setting', is there a particular setting you recommend?

Thanks again

MichielStrubbe said:
    Still no durable solution, I think the quickest way to solve it temporary is like @Norde said by following these steps.
    ( By the way, thanks @Norde , this solution realy helped me a lot! ;) )

" -> i.e. these steps:

Go to Start , enter Sound, and select Sound Control Panel from the list of results.

On the Playback tab, right-click (or press and hold) the Default Device, and then select Properties.

On the Advanced tab, under Default Format, change the setting, and then retest your audio device. "

• MichielStrubbe
    MichielStrubbe Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited February 2018
    I always go to 16 bits, than I select yes, and if you press on the play button, sound should be working fine, after that I change back to 24 and the problem is gone for a few hours. Hope this works for you!

• Maurizio
    Maurizio Member Posts: 2 New User
    Here we go, another user with the same problem guys!
    I have just discovered this really anooying problem this week whle watching a youtube musi video mu brand new 3 months old Swift3 started cracking badly either with or without earphones.
    I have just restarted and the problem was gone but then after 2 days it popped up again! :-(
    Does anyone tried already to contact Acer support to figure out which solution they are offering? if it continues like this, Ill definitely return back to assistance hoping they dont give it back to me with more problems as usually is the risk that customers takes
  • Mahi324
    Mahi324 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the same problem with my Acer Aspire 5, crackling sound when I play some thing in Youtube. This problem is gone temporarily after I restart laptop. After few hours this issue is back. I called customer care, uninstalled the audio drivers as they mentioned but the problem is back again. I called acer customer care 2nd time, this time they asked me to reset the laptop to factory settings. After resetting the problem is same again :( . They asked me to send my laptop to get it repaired as I have 90 days software warrenty (they have mentioned that they are not responsible if there is any physical damage in transit and I have to pay for the repair as well).
    NEVER BUY ACER LAPTOP AGAIN.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

This is sounding like a heating issue since does not happen for a few hours. Does any part of the case feel hot ? HWMonitor or another temperature monitoring program might show a long gradual rise in something.

I know this is probably not a good answer since never have had the problem but if I did and could not find a source, I'd try an inexpensive USB sound adapter  and see if the issue is repeated or solved.

• JackE
    >>>I know this is probably not a good answer since never have had the problem but if I did and could not find a source, I'd try an inexpensive USB sound adapter  and see if the issue is repeated or solved. >>>

I recall an earlier report that this approach seemed to work. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Norde
    Norde Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited February 2018
    This is not a heating issue.
    It can happen at the start of the machine and it's independent from processor load.
    In addition, if the problem were due to heat, a simple modification of the default audio format would not resolve the cracking audio (see my post at the end of page 2).

The use of an usb sound adaptater will not help to resolve our problem (it's just a bypass of the problem). Plus, it's not a solution,
    even if Acer offers us the adapter !
  • delold
    delold Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

The issue is more noticeable when the Windows power settings slider is set to "Best battery life." Setting it to "Best performance" will make the cracking less annoying, at the expense of higher power usage. 

• Maurizio
    Maurizio Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have just called Acer after replacing all the drivers they said to send it to repair it. I only hope that it doesnt come back with more issues as many times the repairing procedures may cause other issues.
  • Markslaughter
    delold said:
    The issue is more noticeable when the Windows power settings slider is set to "Best battery life." Setting it to "Best performance" will make the cracking less annoying, at the expense of higher power usage. 

Don't want to speak too soon, but have frustratingly gone through every other suggested solution without success- changing audio drivers, etc etc, and almost returning the laptop, it turns out that just making sure your laptop is plugged in and simply adjusting the battery mode to 'best performance' when using more demanding music software or having multiple music platforms open seems to be the answer! It seems to be a power related issue. Thank you!
  • Syndeon
    Syndeon Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello, I bought an Acer Swift 3 with an I5-8250u and an MX150. This morning I got the same problem, fixed by restarting the computer. I wanna know, since I'm still in time to get a refund, is it an hardware problem or a software one? Thanks in advance.
  • JackE
    The only common denominator among different models exhibiting this issue seems to be Win10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Syndeon
    Syndeon Member Posts: 3 New User
    I guess I'm gonna try the PC these days, I've uninstalled the audio drivers and reinstalled them with a reboot and that seems to have fixed it for now. Will keep updated.
  • JackE
    @Syndeon   >>>I guess I'm gonna try the PC these days>>>

You could also try to dual boot it with LinuxMint. Everything works properly. Easier to install on a Windows machine than Windows but without the Win10 hassle. Not even crackling. This isn't your grampa's linux gui anymore. :)  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ