[Acer Swift 3 SF314-52] Occasional crackling/reverb sound while using the speakers

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,265 Trailblazer
    Machines that won't work correctly directly out of the box should be immediately returned to the vendor for a refund, exchange or replacment. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Syndeon
    Syndeon Member Posts: 3 New User
    Update : I'm returning the notebook, last time buying acer notebooks.
  • Norde
    Norde Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Maurizio said:
    I have just called Acer after replacing all the drivers they said to send it to repair it. I only hope that it doesnt come back with more issues as many times the repairing procedures may cause other issues.

Any news from your repairing / exange procedure ?

Does it work well now ?
  • Norde
    Norde Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Machines that won't work correctly directly out of the box should be immediately returned to the vendor for a refund, exchange or replacment. Jack E/NJ

As always, the acer support team is a shame.

Lot of people got this problem and your answers alternate between crazy suggestions and "send back your product", without any other form of help.

You even say yourself that the problem is specific to windows 10 (again without proof), but without thinking of proposing a software solution.

Finally you propose to install Linux. Is it necessary to recall that ACER does not follow standards for UEFI, which causes a lot of problems with linux? (only 32-bit works fine, you can't install a 64-bit version without worries).
    cf. https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comments/5lu69k/installing_linux_mint_181_on_an_acer_swift_3/ , https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/technical/thread/5b859040/ and much more...

Your interventions are at best useless, at worst insulting,
    what a shame !

• PLux
    PLux Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Norde said:
    Your interventions are at best useless, at worst insulting,
    what a shame !

I'm as frustrated and disappointed at Acer's refusal to acknowledge anything about this issue as anyone, but keep in mind JackE is not an Acer employee but merely someone like us trying to offer help to people with Acer products. I think this is the wrong person to direct your anger towards.
  • ForumUser001
    ForumUser001 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

PLux said:
    I'm as frustrated and disappointed at Acer's refusal to acknowledge anything about this issue as anyone, but keep in mind JackE is not an Acer employee but merely someone like us trying to offer help to people with Acer products.
    Than he should stop offering suggestions and making himself seem like an Acer employee. 
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018

Have avoided this discussion in the past because am hearing impaired and have not experienced the problem. Am also Not an Acer Employee but am on the forum since I learn a lot about my machines here.

That said I've been following these discussions and the most common element I've seen is that the CPU usage has been mentioned as high when it occurs. This would make me wonder if things are being run that need A Lot of the CPU and have a higher priority than the audio system. The crackling could be dropouts/pauses caused by the tasking semaphore.

Before giving up, I would try opening Task Manager, selecting "details", find your audio application, right click on it, select "Set Priority" and try raising it particularly if below "Normal"

• PLux

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    padgett said:

That said I've been following these discussions and the most common element I've seen is that the CPU usage has been mentioned as high when it occurs. This would make me wonder if things are being run that need A Lot of the CPU and have a higher priority than the audio system. The crackling could be dropouts/pauses caused by the tasking semaphore.

Before giving up, I would try opening Task Manager, selecting "details", find your audio application, right click on it, select "Set Priority" and try raising it particularly if below "Normal"

wow, excellent observation! i've raised the priority on the audio driver and haven't had crackling noises ever since. coming days will tell if this fixed the issue permanently but so far it's looking promising. thank you!
  • PLux

Tinkerer

okay, never mind. crackling came back pretty shortly after.
  • JackE
    @PLux Even with low percent CPU & RAM usage? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    At this point my only thought is to perform triage by putting the output on a wave form analyzer or oscilloscope and see if the "crackling" is analogue or digital.
  • Markblues07
    Markblues07 Member Posts: 1 New User
    This my second SPIN with the same issue... I love the laptop but my have to return it for a Dell if Acer continues to not want to fix this for everyone.
  • ayush_92
    ayush_92 Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited April 2018
    Hey! I've purchased swift 3 SF315-41(AMD Ryzen 5 CPU with Vega 8 GPU). It have the same issue(Cracking Audio)

Tried below methods:

1)Reboot
    2)Best Performance mode
    3)Unable to change Speaker properties(Its greyed Out and blocked)
    4)Updated BIOS to the latest version
    5)Updated Audio driver to the latest one
    6)
    opening Task Manager, selecting "details", find your audio application, right click on it, select "Set Priority" and try raising it particularly if below "Normal"- Set to Normal..

Noting helped me till now.

Kindly let me know, if there is any update from Acer about the issue?
    How can we resolve it?

It's a $900 laptop and this is not expected from Acer!

• ayush_92
    Also it is happening every time when i'm trying to play FIFA 2018. It never stops

• JackE
    @ayush_92 Return the machine to the vendor for a refund if possible or arrange for ACER warranty service. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• David94
    David94 Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited April 2018
    Hi, I had the same problem it looks like i solved it. I opened the task manager, then set off the power management on both intel smart sound drivers. I haven't had the problem for a week now. I turned off 2 or 3 times (because when i rebooted it turned on again)
  • JackE
    Thanks @David94 for your solution. If it works for others, great. If not, I suggest they return their machines for a refund or arrange for warranty service. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ayush_92
    JackE said:
    @ayush_92 Return the machine to the vendor for a refund if possible or arrange for ACER warranty service. Jack E/NJH
    Hi.. Return is not possible now as it's crossed it's return period of 10 days.

However, I'm not pretty sure how to fix this using the last method- "I opened the task manager, then set off the power management on both intel smart sound drivers. I haven't had the problem for a week now. I turned off 2 or 3 times (because when i rebooted it turned on again)"

Kindly assist.

If possible, Please share some screenshots.

• JackE
    @ayush_92 Send a PM to @David94 and ask him to post his screenshot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ