[Acer Swift 3 SF314-52] Occasional crackling/reverb sound while using the speakers

12346»

Answers

• pingu17black
    pingu17black Member Posts: 4 New User
    so basically the method i posted 2 days ago just above^^ plus its in english
  • pingu17black
    (copy and paste from the link i posted above)

PERMANENTLY RESOLVE HP SPEAKER COMPRESSION (HISSING, CRACKLING DISTORTION WHEN PLAYING VIDEO, MUSIC, ETC)

The problem is caused by Bang and Olufsen audio correction compression - you need to change the driver from Realtek, 
    to the normal high definition device driver. This affects a lot of HP models with B&O sound. The first part disables the 
    Realtek driver - the second deletes it permanently.

It's simple and takes 2-3 minutes.

CLICK START - GO TO DEVICE MANAGER
    IN THE LIST CLICK 'SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLERS'
    RIGHT CLICK 'REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE' - CHOOSE DISABLE - IGNORE WARNING AND CONTINUE
    RIGHT CLICK SAME FILE CHOOSE 'UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE' THEN 'BROWSE COMPUTER FOR DEVICE SOFTWARE'
    CHOOSE 'LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER'
    HIGHLIGHT 'HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO' (NOT REALTEK) CLICK 'NEXT' AGAIN IGNORE WARNING AND CLICK 'YES' - 
    RESTART / REBOOT WHEN PROMPTED

PLAY A FILE - YOU NOW HAVE NORMAL LAPTOP SOUND!

***IMPORTANT - THE DRIVER WILL REVERT TO REALTEK THE NEXT TIME YOU REBOOT, UNLESS YOU DO THE SECOND PART BELOW)***

AFTER REBOOT (TO **PERMANENTLY GET RID OF THE PROBLEM**)

CLICK START - GO TO THE CONTROL PANEL - 'UNINSTALL A PROGRAM'
    HIGHLIGHT REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE AND UNINSTALL

IT'S AN IDEA TO CREATE A RESTORE POINT BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS IN CASE YOU MAKE A MISTAKE - IF YOU HAVE AN EARLIER
    RESTORE POINT YOU CAN SIMPLY ROLL BACK TO THAT. IT IS SIMPLE THOUGH IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. MAKE SURE YOU WANT
    TO PERMANENTLY GET RID OF B&O BEFORE UNINSTALLING.
  • lblake368
    lblake368 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi all, thanks for the useful advice, I purchased a Swift 3 today and have noticed the crackle straight away.

I am trying to follow the steps above, however when I get to 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer' the only option seems to be the Realtek one. How can I locate an alternative?

Thank you!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,265 Trailblazer
    @lblake368 If you're getting stuck on "HIGHLIGHT 'HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO' (NOT REALTEK) CLICK 'NEXT' AGAIN IGNORE WARNING AND CLICK 'YES' -" try sending a PM to @pingu17black for advice. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pingu17black
    UPDATE: i hear a little bit of crackling which has just started, and the audio has also started to cut out which i can fix temporarily by switching between spatial sounds. update again: my sound cut out completely so i tried to switch between the drivers but now the High Definition Audio driver has a orange warning triangle and it wont work so ive had to resort back to the realtek driver and now i have crackling all the time
  • JackE
    @pingu17black >>> i hear a little bit of crackling which has just started>>>now i have crackling all the time >>>>

Please check Control Panel for a WinUpdate restore point when this just started again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DisposableHero
    DisposableHero Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2018
    FWIW, this looks like a Windows 10/driver issue. I dual boot Mint and Win 10 on a Swift 3 Core i5 Gen 7. I usually use Mint for surfing and Youtube etc so I only just noticed the sound issue on Windows after about an hour of youtube the other day. Switched it back over to Mint to check and no crackling so I don't think it is hardware related. Acer need to talk to Microsoft as it is really annoying and I was about to send the laptop back (it is under a year old) lol.
  • JackE
    Yeah. Microsoft and a lot of different mfrs need to talk amongst themselves about the adverse effects its heavy-handed rapid-fire Win10updates seem to be having on device drivers. Or some cinnamon flavored OS might become the new GUI standard for pcs in a year or so. :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AlecFerris
    AlecFerris Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've found the crackling comes up with everything on my Swift 3, right down to changing the volume and on earphones too :/ One BIOS file had no effect and the other refused to run (the ROM wasn't newer than the file?). 

I'm inclined to just send the laptop back at this stage - how likely is this to be a hardware rather than software issue given the failed fixes? 
  • JackE
    @AlecFerris The only way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is a factory reset preferrably outside Windows by the ALT+F10 cold boot method as shown in the video below before any Win10 updates are installed. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• Andrew19891989
    Andrew19891989 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi guys!
    I was to buy SF315, then i read about this audio issue: has Acer either solved this, or has anybody found a permanent solution?
    Do you think i would experience the same issue?
    Thanks (excuse me for my english)
  • JackE
    @Andrew19891989 >>>I was to buy SF315>>>Do you think i would experience the same issue?>>>

You must buy to see. Make sure your vendor has a good return policy for a refund or exchange if it has the same issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• fawadlatif
    fawadlatif Member Posts: 2 New User
    It happens often that speaker of laptop starts crackling. It has many reasons like bad drivers, unsuitable audio settings, or some other hardware device issue. Mostly it starts when you update your system. Sometimes this error appears if by mistake you throw water in the speakers or laptop falls. Here are some solutions to resolve this error but for detailed solutions you can visit this website https://appuals.com/fix-laptop-speakers-crackling/.

Method 1 Checking DPC Latency: At times the audio error is caused by DPC latency as it deals the hardware drivers. After installing DPC Latency Checker if the latency is in green or yellow bars, then it means to say that there isn’t any latency error but if it is in red then some driver are causing problem. You can resolve it by enabling and disabling each driver one by one.

Method 2 Disabling third-party programs: Sometimes this audio error occurs because of third-party program. You can fix it by checking all third-part program in your system like Sonicmaster, Smartbyte etc. In case there are many apps then you can boot your PC in safe mode and try to troubleshoot. Method 3 Installing High Definition Audio Device). Tap Windows + X to run the quick start menu and choose the option of Device Manager and extract Sound, video and game controllers option. Right-click on your sound device and pick Update Driver. Here they would ask you to install drivers manually or by automatic processing will appear just choose Browse my computer for driver software.
    Go for Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer. Now unchecked the option “show compatible hardware” to confirm that all the results are listed in your drivers find the option of High Definition Audio Device and choose it and tap Next. Go for the commands till the installation ends and reboot your PC.

• kakasab
    kakasab Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2019
    Hoilaaa, it seems this is an universal problem with ACER and they really dont care about it.
    I bought my brand new Swift 3 SF314-52 in October and from day third i had problem of cracking sound and I tried all the possible way and tried contacting the vendors and ACER online support, but nobody cares about this problem, they just cleaned my laptop and told its working now. but a week later my 11 yrs old son found that the problem can be fix with RESTART and we are doing that only from last Three months.

And I strongly believe that there is NO ACER EMPLOYEE here to listen or answer, except VEN98 and unfortunitely he is not an ACER EMPLOYE and infact with not the right answer too.
  • JackE
    kakasab Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that aren't currently available'. Scroll down to uncheck the box for fast startup to disable fast boot to see if that helps. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yerbluez
    yerbluez Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

UPDATE ON THIS PROBLEM... Give this a shot before messing with drivers etc..>>>>>

I've had this same issue for awhile now. This information I found is what worked for me, before having to deal with drivers and BIOS and what not. Just go the sound icon, select the sound device and then click properties. Go to advanced tab and adjust the sample rate to 16 bits. There may be less choices and the Hz number may vary on your device, but don't worry about that, just select the first 16 bit option. This solved the headphone crackling issue for me.  Follow the below steps..

1. Change Sound Format 

The sound format on your PC could be the cause. To change it: 

1) Right-click the sound icon at the bottom right corner of your desktop and select Playback devices.  

2) Highlight your default audio device, which should have a green tick on its icon, then click Properties. 

3) Go to the Advanced tab. Select from the drop-down box 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality). Then click Apply and OK to save the change. 

If CD Quality option fails to help you solve the popping sound issue, try to choose another audio format and see what happens. 

• ahsanul_438
    ahsanul_438 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Click image for larger versionNameimagepngViews27Size210 KBID125525

Try this and it should fix the freezing and buzzing problem!

• canem_EM
    canem_EM Member Posts: 1 New User
    Welp, I just deinstalled the "Acer Optimized" ****-drivers, installed the generic Realtek-drivers and called it a day. I still experience very minor rattling, but this could be the result of a small fall on my behalf. https://www.realtek.com/en/downloads Perhaps Realtek Chips are rather poor in performance, but at least they update their drivers every so often. I'm just disappointed with acer. They last updated the driver a year ago. Optimization? Who needs that stuff? The VGA-Drivers were also a joke, luckily AMD (my Swift3 uses a 2500U) decided to roll out generic drivers, which fixed tons of issues. If you don't give a fuss about us customers, why even bother releasing these *****-shoot-drivers and force us to install them? Well, I hope that rather easy fix solves the problem for you guys. Take care. 
  • torantella
    torantella Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2022
    ====================BANDAID FIX FOR NON TECHNICAL PEOPLE ====================

As of 2022, the solutions that seemingly worked here aren't reproducible exactly as described because of updates renaming/moving things from exactly where they were. If you're not a technical person and can't work around the suggested fixes, keep on reading!

You can open up any program that plays audio like youtube/spotify, and play looped audio at a low enough volume that isn't audible, but isn't 0. This will use your audio drivers non-stop so that you don't hear that crackle in your audio when your computer starts/stops playing audio.