[Acer Swift 3 SF314-52] Occasional crackling/reverb sound while using the speakers

ForumUser001
ForumUser001 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited April 2018 in Swift and Spin Series
I have had my Acer Swift 3 (running Windows 10) for about 6 weeks now. 

Two days ago, I was using a website with audio playback (my laptop was running for about 4 hours at this point), and the audio playback from the speakers began crackling/reverb. It continued for approximately 30-45 minutes before fixing itself. I tested other websites, I also tested audio within Windows 10 (external of the browser), and the problem seems to be global to the device itself (or maybe an issue with the audio driver, which I checked and it is currently running the latest audio driver).

This has happened at least 2 or 3 times now. One of those times, I restarted the computer, and that seemed to have fixed the problem. 

I recorded two videos to document the problem:

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017
    You can try to fix it with updating the BIOS. If doesn't help reset the battery. Here is shown how: //us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

If neither of those work, then the problem most likely is with the hardware. You can check if there is any dust or something that can cause distortion with the speakers. You can use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out.

If nothing works then you should contact Acer support.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Dsquared
    Dsquared Member Posts: 1 New User
    I having the exact same issue except I just bought mine this week brand new....restarting seems to temporarily fix it. It occasionally starts again...have you found a solution? 
  • ForumUser001

Tinkerer

No, the issue is too random right now to test for a solution. If it becomes a permanent problem, then I'll be able to try one of the solutions suggested by ven98. I think it's either an audio driver problem, because other laptops seem to have this "reverb" issue as a result of a bad driver. Or it could be related to static build-up of the battery in some way.
  • ForumUser001

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    You can try to fix it with updating the BIOS. If doesn't help reset the battery. Here is shown how: //us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

If neither of those work, then the problem most likely is with the hardware. You can check if there is any dust or something that can cause distortion with the speakers. You can use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out.

If nothing works then you should contact Acer support.

The bios is already version 1.06, which is the latest available.

Resetting the battery is not necessary, because when I restart the computer, it already fixes the problem. But while the computer is running, I cannot fix it without closing all the work I'm doing and restarting.

It's definitely not a physical issue, it's a brand new laptop, and the problem fixes itself upon restart.

I think the issue may be related to using Multiple Desktops in Windows, because I was using the laptop in single desktop mode for a few days and didn't see the issue. And then today I am using Multiple Desktops again, and the issue appears right away again. Might be something to do with high CPU usage related to this feature.
  • ForumUser001

Tinkerer

Bump. I'm still getting this problem. Speakers messed up again.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

>>>I was using the laptop in single desktop mode for a few days and didn't see the issue>>>

Is this still the case or not? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• deanos720
    deanos720 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi guys,
    I thought it was just mine. I just bought mine brand new and this started happening almost straight away. Thought I might have had to replace the speakers but happy to hear it could be hardware or software related. 

Hope someone smarter than me can post a solution soon!
  • JackE
    OK. If you folks haven't tried this yet, click start, enter "troubleshoot", click "playing audio", then run troubleshoot audio. It has helped some systems experiencing sound distortions with Win10 and its notoriously unavoidable updates. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Norde
    Norde Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I having the same issue on two Swift 3 SF314-52, under Windows 10 64bits or Ubuntu 16.04 64bits, both with 1.07 bios.
    It happen with sound speakers and headphone jack.

This sound problem started happening after first boot and occurs / disapear randomly.

Seems to be hardware related (it happen no matter what operating system is used).

Any news about this recurring problem ?

• JackE
    Norde---Try the Windows troubleshooter anyway. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MichielStrubbe
    MichielStrubbe Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited December 2017
    Hi,
    I got my new Swift 3 from last week, but now I got the same problem as mentioned above. 
    Windows troubleshooter helps to solve the problem, but after a few hours the noise is back.
    Is there an other solution to solve the problem not just for a few hours? Will there be an update in the near future  to solve it?
    I was really happy with my Swift 3, but this issue is very frustrating..

• JackE
    MichielStrubbe---I think you need to re-do the troubleshooter but test sound output locally, meaning  disconnected from the web. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Brdwygurl
    Brdwygurl Member Posts: 2 New User
     Found this thread after doing a search.  I’m having the exact same issue with my newly purchased swift 3 from Costco 
  • JackE
    Brdwygurl---Run the troubleshooter as  above. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Brdwygurl
    Brdwygurl Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    Brdwygurl---Run the troubleshooter as  above. Jack E/NJ
     I ran the troubleshooter and it was working fine yesterday. Today I’m having the same problem. Is it a hardware issue? 
  • JackE
    Brdwygurl---Less likely a hardware issue. More likely due to automatic Win10updates over which we have almost no control unfortunately. If possible, I suggest that you test this possibility by re-running troubleshooter again, then temporarily disconnect from the web (best done by turning off your router) to see if the problem returns tomorrow. Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• kipD
    kipD Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem with my Swift 3 SF314-52.  Sound distorts on both speaker and earbuds. Reboot solves it but only for a few hours before it comes back. After updating latest audio driver 6.0.1.8216 and BIOS v1.07,the problem has not returned after two weeks.  I'm hoping this has fixed it permanently, at least until the next Windows 10 comes down.
  • JackE
    kipD---Thanks for the input. Keep us posted on whether or not this annoyance returns. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MichielStrubbe
    MichielStrubbe Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Hi,
    Could somebody explain to me how to instal the latest audio drivers and how to instal bios 1.07? Seems like it worked for @kipD so i was hoping for the same result on my Swift 3!
    I would be very happy if somebody could help me out! 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Hi,
    Could somebody explain to me how to instal the latest audio drivers and how to instal bios 1.07? Seems like it worked for @kipD so i was hoping for the same result on my Swift 3!
    I would be very happy if somebody could help me out! 
    I need the full model of your swift 3. Latest realtek driver can be downloaded here, its R2.82 64bit.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!