Fan Control Problems With 5750G And similar machines

The_Sad_5750G
The_Sad_5750G Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

Lets start of stating that the 5750G (And other models with same case design) has a lot of GPU and overheating problems:

As well as mysterious GPU problems:

This problem is happing on computers between 12 and 20 mounts old. Even though that the user

• Is using a fresh windows install.
  • Is using the newest GPU driver.
  • Is using the newest BIOS (1.21 for my 5750G).
  • Has cleaned dust out of heatsink and fan.

So THIS is the problem! Thermal past, and non-functioning fan control!

So it goes like this:

After a year your PC begins to slow down: This is because the cheap thermal past that's acer puts on their laptop is starting to degrade. Meaning that even though the fan is trying to cool the CPU and GPU. The heat from the CPU and GPU can't be transferred to the heatsink. As a result the CPU and GPU lower their performance so that the computer doesn't get so hot that it can't run. And risk damaging the CPU and GPU.

After a bit more time the PC starts to shut itself off when you are using more intense programs / Games:
This is because that the thermal past has degraded so much that the computer is getting so hot that its shutting itself off to avoid damaging itself.

So what's the deal?: I mean Acer can't just replace every buddy's thermal past? So what can they DO?

Here's what Acer should do: Make a BIOS 1.22 WITH CUSTOM FAN CONTROL SETTINGS!
It would be easy! While the main problem is the thermal past. There is another problem:

The fan WON'T go to 100%: when my 5750 hits 95 degree Celsius. It still spins the fan at ~60-70% speed!
When it hits 103 degree Celsius. Just 2 degrees short of shutting itself off to prevent critical damage. It is STILL running at ~60-70%!!! Acer... I know that the the Fan can spin at a higher speed. Because when I turn on my 5750G after it just has shut itself off because of overheating. It spins the fan extremely fast! But just for a few seconds. Then it goes back to being to slow to cool enough.

Acer... Why don't you do this??!: Come on Acer! Do it! Make a new BIOS I would be happy. And I would know that Acer isn't a **bleep**ty company. But actually listens to their customers! If your afraid that some people would go into the BIOS and set the Fan settings so that they brake the laptop. Then just have a big warning: "Warranty will be woid by entering this options" or a   "To enable this option go to Acer.com/XXXX and type the code". Followed by the "Warranty will be void" warning

Please Acer. Give the people that know what they are doing the option to do so!

Im going to end this with a quote from another post on you forum:

"I search a bit, but didn't find anything working to give a bit more power to the fan...  
Couldn't Acer just add some fan tweaking to the bios ??,,

Quote from this post: http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Notebooks-Netbooks/Entire-CPU-Overheating/m-p/12211/highlight/false#M2975

Answers

• PascalR
    PascalR Member Posts: 3 New User

+1!

I'm having exactly the same problem with my 5750G.

I can play for around 20mins. when my laptop shuts down.

This issue happens with games it should easily handle.

• pytciu
    pytciu Member Posts: 4 New User

Me too , My 5750G does the same thing, fan never running at 100% capacity, and laptop shuts down in games like assassin's creed. Acer come on, please hear us, listen to what we are saying cause you know we are right. It would be so awesome to be able to use this laptop to its fullest, lsiten to your customers and you will gain respect, be responsable.

• atm
    atm Member Posts: 1 New User

I think they actualy made unworking fan for some reason. It just can't be such a super-hard-imposible-to-solve problem. I gave myself a promise 'never deal with acer'. Warning my friends about acers as well.

• berrada_9
    berrada_9 Member Posts: 4 New User

I had my GPU burned 3 months after buying the computer playing a medium-system-requirement game . I sent it to repair so they've changed the motherboard. Now i'm a bit affraid about playing more than 1h ( although I purchased it only for that) , because it gets really hot and I dont want to burn it again.Such a good GPU is completely useless if not well cooled. Thanks for bringing us a solution as soon as possible ( I think it would be much cheaper for acer to do than all the computers on warranty they have to repair).

• klarkent
    klarkent Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi this post is getting old and Acer is not taking any action to solve these overheating problems.
    I have Acer 5755G and have same problems, my GPU while playing runs at 100 C° and obviously I got throttling and poor gaming experience.

I contacted Acer support and I'm waiting for reply, but I know that they will say that I have to bring the notebook to the service center. I need it for studies... and as I know the service repair took at least one month causing me a lot of damages. What should I do in your opinion?!

• st3ph3nnity
    st3ph3nnity Member Posts: 220 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I`m just adding my pennies worth here...but surely it would be advisable of Acer to take note of the growing issues...

I have several Acer Aspire One machines...all differing versions and they are all still working fine...I`ve never really had any problems at all with them aside from the odd hard drive replacement...but...I was recently looking for a new laptop and thinking of getting an Acer...after reading the comments both here and hearing of the problems various friends etc have had,and the lack of any real support,I would not consider buying a new Acer of any kind...in fact recently I bought an Asus...seems a shame that there is such an obvious lack of support.

• berrada_9

If they are undervaluing this thread and all the claims related with cooling system, they are pushing us not to buy any acer product again in the future and also advising all our friends to not do so.And Asus would probably be a good alternative to acer . So the ball is now in your field.

• piratawww
    piratawww Member Posts: 2 New User

Same problem here!!!

• rulmismo
    rulmismo Member Posts: 1 New User
  • PsyCat
    PsyCat Member Posts: 1 New User

Agree... same problem here... unbelivable Smiley Sad

• SunnyDK
    SunnyDK Member Posts: 4 New User

Well iam "happy" owner 5750g machine,and gues what?Same problem here,i replace termalpaste+keep coolingsys clean,but in BF 3 after few maps got 90-100c*on all cores....Plz update Bios,atleast termalsteps,cooler never hits 80% power.

• recaacer
    recaacer Member Posts: 1 New User

Another 5750G with the same exact problems described above - fan just doesn't spin up when needed and goes silent during games, and the whole left side of the machine gets super hot after 5 minutes of any moderately-demanding game (eg, TF2), even with all in-game graphics settings turned down to minimum.  Then the machine cuts off and does a hard shutdown a few minutes after that.

I've tried everything software-related I could think of (updated drivers, bios, turned down all settings, shut down all non-essential processes), no help at all.  Next step will be taking the thing apart and trying to re-do the thermal paste, but I'm not too optimistic.

• trarl4
    trarl4 Member Posts: 1 New User

Acer v3 571g. The same problem here:

"The fan WON'T go to 100%: when my 5750 hits 95 degree Celsius. It still spins the fan at ~60-70% speed!
    When it hits 103 degree Celsius. Just 2 degrees short of shutting itself off to prevent critical damage. It is STILL running at ~60-70%!!! Acer... I know that the the Fan can spin at a higher speed. Because when I turn on my 5750G after it just has shut itself off because of overheating. It spins the fan extremely fast! But just for a few seconds. Then it goes back to being to slow to cool enough."

• SunnyDK

Anything from Devs\acer stuff?Guys Please fix it.At lest say something about that like - Yes we try help you guys or no.

• berrada_9

I replaced the thermal paste too . Playing BF3 the temperature of the GPU went from 93ºC(max) before TP to 81ºC now. I still dont know if 81 is a good temperature . I've also noticed that the manufacter thermal paste was not the best quality , because it was decomposed and I guess , conducting less heat . The TP on the CPU and GPU aren't the same.

• berrada_9

This thread has already a year and its unbelievable that acer hasnt give even one answer to our problem.Shame on you Acer

• SunnyDK

I cant undestend it...Rly like they dont ***  about that forum\users...

[word filter avoidance] 

• zzrezz
    zzrezz Member Posts: 1 New User

Same problem here. I've been working on trying to fix the problem, but only bothered by the fact that it can be so easily fixed. BUT ALAS, with the little knowledge I have...

Anyway, the fan speed runs at FULL speed when the BIOS doesn't load anything, apparently. I've noticed that the speed goes on full when in the middle of installing a new BIOS update or something. I've used a modified BIOS in order to change the temperatures of which toggle certain fan speeds, but it seems as though there's some sort of hard cap on the fan speed once passing the load of the BIOS. While in Windows, the speed of the fan never passes 60-70%, as other users say.

So, Acer. We do need some sort of BIOS update to fix this. Really. It's incredibly annoying to know that my computer performance is hindered because of a damned BIOS screwup. At this point, I don't think it matters much how the outcome turns out. I don't think I'll be purchasing any other Acer computers and blahbalhbablha...

In conclusion, many, many users need this fixed. Don't be inconsiderate, please. At least give us an explanation on why this is such a problem for so many users, and what could be done to solve the issue.

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter

If you all have some time and knowledge, here is a link that may help you in unlocking

the BIOS fan control. There are a lot of topics on this so it will take time to explore

and possibly come up with a cooling solution.

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/search.php?action=finduser&uid=35925

There is also this link which is not for the faint of heart as it involves modding

the fan controller with some possible success or not, but it's worth a look.

http://forum.techinferno.com/acer/2143-aspire-5750g-cooling-mod-soldered-fan-controller.html

• SunnyDK

Most of this unlocked bios's are wont do anything,also as i know,one or two can damage your laptop,soo i dont recommend use it till its 100% working solution.And about this topic - i will keep it in first place till someone from acer stuff reply to this,bcoz i wanna know why they are soo disrespect 5750g owners.