Entire CPU Overheating

sergiudemian
sergiudemian Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

I own an Acer Aspire 5742 for one year now. (Intel i3 380 m @2.53GHz, 3GB RAM DDR3, Intel HD Graphics)

Not long time ago my notebook started to suddenly shut down while more stressful applications were running on it. I have noticed that the temperature in idle is high and unstable per core. In idle mode Core 0 oscilates between 40 and 55 oC

while Core 1 is between 38 and 52 oC. Also the temperature difference between the two CPU cores most of the times is higher than 5 oC which should not happen. I mostly used the notebook for programming and school research and most of the times used it on a cooling pad. The notebook's ventilation is clear, no dust blocking the ventilation areas or the fans.

[edited for privacy]

Answers

• Travis-Acer
    Travis-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 681 Acer Crew

Since you've made sure that all ventillation areas and fans are clean and operating properly, it sounds like the thermal paste may need to be replaced so that good conductive contact is made between the CPU and the cooling system.

• bilboso
    bilboso Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm having this same problem...  with the exact same laptop model.

Is there anything else that can be done, beside tearing this thing apart and risking breaking something just to put new thermal paste ?  

I search a bit, but didnt find anything working to give a bit more power to the fan...  

Couldnt Acer just add some fan tweaking to the bios ??

If anyone found a solution for this....

thanks

• The_Sad_5750G
    The_Sad_5750G Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to find out! Acer! Give us a BIOS whit fan control options!

I'm going to make a whole post about it...

• Zamboni
    Zamboni Member Posts: 3 New User

My 5742 was showing similar symptons...overheating causing shut down with no dust blocking fan or vents. Did  an OS re-install back to factory fresh twice...just couldn't figure out the problem. Wasted a lot of time running anti virus programs etc. Wish I had found this paste info sooner-the laptop died last week.

• The_Sad_5750G
    The_Sad_5750G Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

Im just hoping that my 5750G will last untill i can get some nice Noctua NT-H1 termal past

If my machine dies... I will be back to using a Pentium 4! UH!

This discussion has been closed.