When will we see an update for the SpatialLabs Movie Player? MKV video files are not supported.

SFMike
SFMike Member Posts: 4 New User
edited July 14 in SpatialLabs

I'm enjoying using the Spatial Labs Movie Player on my LED 27 PSV27-2TI 3D Monitor, but it needs support to show MKV encoded video files. Also, the player is really bare bones and needs to be able to change aspect ratios, choose soundtracks, turn subtitles off and on and make other more robust adjustments. This amazing product needs a more amazing app to show off its true potential. Also, a 3D photo viewer needs to be provided for viewing SBS still pictures too.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,650 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

The Acer Predator SpatialLabs View 27 monitor supports 3D gaming and media playback, but the built-in Spatial Labs Movie Player has limited functionality. To play MKV files and access more advanced video controls like aspect ratio, audio tracks, and subtitles, you will need a more robust media player application.Some recommended options include:

• MKPlayer - A media player for macOS that can play MKV files and supports features like custom subtitles, video adjustments, and AirPlay.
    • ArtPlayer - A JavaScript-based web player that can play MKV files in the browser without plugins.
    • VLC Media Player - A free and open-source media player that supports a wide range of video and audio formats, including MKV.

These players should provide the additional functionality you need to fully utilize the 3D capabilities of your Acer Predator SpatialLabs monitor, such as aspect ratio controls, subtitle management, and 3D photo viewing. With the right media player, you can unlock the true potential of this advanced display.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566

Answers

• GAMING6698
    Answer ✓

The Acer Predator SpatialLabs View 27 monitor supports 3D gaming and media playback, but the built-in Spatial Labs Movie Player has limited functionality. To play MKV files and access more advanced video controls like aspect ratio, audio tracks, and subtitles, you will need a more robust media player application.Some recommended options include:

• MKPlayer - A media player for macOS that can play MKV files and supports features like custom subtitles, video adjustments, and AirPlay.
    • ArtPlayer - A JavaScript-based web player that can play MKV files in the browser without plugins.
    • VLC Media Player - A free and open-source media player that supports a wide range of video and audio formats, including MKV.

These players should provide the additional functionality you need to fully utilize the 3D capabilities of your Acer Predator SpatialLabs monitor, such as aspect ratio controls, subtitle management, and 3D photo viewing. With the right media player, you can unlock the true potential of this advanced display.

• SFMike

Thanks for the information. I still feel that Acer needs to support their product with a better all-around player in the name of branding and good customer service. I'll be interested to see the kind of player they will provide with the upcoming SpatialLabs Eyes camera and hope it will integrate well with the PSV27-2TI 3D Monitor.

• SFMike

I downloaded the VLC Media Player which works great but can't figure out how hook it's features to the monitor to view SBS 3D. Is there a FAQ on this somewhere or could you guide me through?

• GAMING6698

To view SBS (Side-by-Side) 3D videos on your Predator SpatialLabs View 27 monitor using VLC Media Player, follow these steps:

1. Open VLC Media Player and go to Tools > Effects and Filters.
    2. In the Adjustments and Effects window, click on the Video Effects tab.
    3. Click the right-pointing arrow to show the Advanced tab, then tick the checkbox for Anaglyph 3D.
    4. Load your SBS 3D video by going to Media > Open File or pressing Ctrl+O. Make sure the video is in the proper SBS format.
    5. Put on your 3D glasses (red/cyan anaglyph type) and enjoy the 3D movie playback in VLC.

Note that VLC supports viewing SBS 3D videos using anaglyph technology since version 2.1.0. However, this method may not provide the best 3D experience compared to the monitor's native 3D capabilities.

• SFMike

Thanks for the response but this is no solution for viewing SBS (Side-by-Side) 3D videos on your Predator SpatialLabs View 27 monitor or other Asus 3D devices. To not use Anaglyph 3D is the whole point of getting a native 3D monitor. You can view anaglyph on any run of the mill video devise. I'm really hoping the engineers at Asus will put in the work to make improvements to the monitors 3D capabilities. Perhaps get help from the makers of the MoonVR app, SkyBox Player or other video app developers to make an Asus 3D app that will help sell products and not seem like a tech demo rather than a finished experience.

• GAMING6698

Probably due lack of MKV files support. You should watch MKV files normally using vlc. Also I did some reresearch And found there' no specific plans by Asus or the Spatial Labs team to add support for playing SBS (side-by-side) 3D video files natively on the Predator SpatialLabs View 27 monitor or other Asus 3D devices.The key points are:

• The current Spatial Labs Movie Player application is described as a "bare bones" experience that lacks important features like MKV video support and advanced video controls.
    • To view SBS 3D videos, users are currently relying on third-party media player apps like MKPlayer, ArtPlayer, or VLC, which can handle the 3D format.
    • The search results do not mention any collaboration between Asus and developers of 3D video apps like MoonVR or SkyBox Player to create a more robust and integrated 3D viewing experience for Asus 3D displays.

Without any indication of planned improvements or partnerships from Asus, it seems the Spatial Labs Movie Player currently falls short of providing a fully-featured 3D video playback experience that can take full advantage of the Predator SpatialLabs View 27 monitor's capabilities. Users will likely need to seek out third-party solutions to access the advanced 3D video features they desire.

• ThomSwiss
    ThomSwiss Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter

See:

and:

It's a shame, Acer only sells hardware and doesn't bother about the Software needed to run them. If there's no real update to the SpatialLabs Player coming soon, I'll sell this junk @Ingrid-Acer .

• lucopoulos
    lucopoulos Member Posts: 3 New User

In fact, the player can play mkv files, so maybe it's something else in your file that the player doesn't support, like the h.265 (or hevc) codec, or perhaps the audio codecs.

But I agree that the player is almost useless at this point, since you can't change audio track and it cannot display subtitles.

To view files in 3D with any other media player, you have to use the SpatialLabs Go, so you can launch the video on any player that can change aspect ratio (I use MPV, but VLC or MPC-HD should work too), make the video in fullscreen on the 3D monitor, and turn on Go (alt + G by default). Make sure Go is set to Side by side, as it's set to 2D to 3D by default, this setting is in the SpatialLabs Experience Center general settings.

That only works if your video is in SBS (side by side) format, both full and half if you change aspect ratio. If you have 3D videos in any other format, like TB / OU (top bottom / over under), you can use a specific 3D video player like sview, stereoscopic player, and change the output to Half SBS. There is also a great free video payer that can do that, it's called Potplayer, but the 3D settings are not obvious, you have to know it's there to find it.

If that sounds too complicated, it may be easier to reencode your videos to a supported codec, like h264 or av1 with a tool like handbrake, and keep only the audio track that you need, then you can open it with SpatialLabs player.

• ThomSwiss
    ThomSwiss Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter

By using SpatialLabs Go you will accept a lot more ghosting. Especially in night scenes with lights. The image quality is way better with the dedicated SpatialLabs player (and was even better with its 2years old, first version that initially was made by Leia (formerly Dimenco) and was named SR Player. But yes you're right, it does play mkv files.