SpatialLabs Player: older version has better image quality?

Options
ThomSwiss
ThomSwiss Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
edited March 21 in SpatialLabs

I just played with one of the first versions of SpatialLabs Player (V 0.19). Function wise it doesn't have much less than the actual version (V 2.9.21) which obviously is still not a finished app (no language tracks and subtitles selection, no different screen ratios ..).

But what's really strange: the image quality of the older version is noticeably better!

While actual player has less ghosting (crossover) compared to SpatialLabs Go, the old player has even less of them. I can barely note any ghosting with V 0.19!

And even more astonishing: while the actual player comes with a trade off in image resolution compared to SpatialLabs Go, the old player does not! Its image resolution is pristine, clean – almost perfect in any sense. (Apart from the fact that it only supports standard image ratios, one language and many more inadequacies like the actual player does too)

Why is that?

Answers

• ThomSwiss
    Options

Dear @Acer-Blayn @Acer-Brad @Acer-Carsten @Acer-Cory @Acer-Ingrid can you have a look into it? Would be appreciated, many thanks. I'm not sure if I better should have addressed you by PM. If so, please sorry.

• ThomSwiss
    Options

ps: interestingly the actual version (2.9.21) on the other side seems to run slightly better in terms of smoothness. Meaning, that with the old version (0.19), here and there is a little bit of motion stuttering – only seen at scenes with long camera panning. May be the slight lower resolution in the newer player was a result of more efficient image handling (only my guessing of course..)? However, looking forward to receive an update to an even more finished version of the player anyway (with language / subtitle / aspect ratio handling).😉

• ThomSwiss
    Options

Well, to clear this one (and almost only) disadvantage of the older Player from 2022 compared to the current version, I have found a perfect solution: For the smooth and shutter free playback, after its installation go to Windows Settings, Graphics, add the the Player V0.19 executable file location, and set it to Energy safe mode, so that it does use Intel’s integrated GPU, and NOT Nvidia GPU.

More on that:

And to finish it up: The current player has its own integrated set of supported video codecs, which is nice and doesn't need a separate codec pack to be installed. But it does not include H.265 HEVC😏. So if you have HEVC coded 3D media files, you currently have to re-encode them or use the older Player which uses external codec packs.

There would be so much input for Acer to improve this Player APP, if some of them would only read and take up those hints, I really hope they do. Also they could cooperate with Leia Inc., who own of the former Dimenco SR technology and may develop their own Windows Player for the same tech. Sure - Acer wants to control the software experience for their products, which definitely makes sense. But for the quality of their own products Acer should continue working together with Leia Inc.