Acer Veriton M Desktop - VM4660G-I3810H PSU 24-pin to MOBO 6-pin conversion

Options
psupinoutquestion
psupinoutquestion Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hello -

I have a an Acer Veriton M Desktop - VM4660G-I3810H1 that I'm trying to put into a SFF HTPC case. The Acer MOBO standoffs match mATX, but the PSU / MOBO power connectors are these 6-pin things: 

I found these threads but it doesn't seem like a solution was reached as there aren't any "SUCCESS!" follow-up posts from OPs:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/614670/tc-895-eb11-6-pin-power-cable-conector/p2
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/661080/wich-kind-of-atx-24-pin-to-6-pin-adapter-you-recomend-to-use-for-an-acer-aspire-tc-390
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/630408/what-power-connecter-do-i-use-for-a-24-pin-500-power-supply-to-6-pin-motherboard-acer-tc-875-ur11
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/656952/24-pin-to-6pin-motherboard-adapter-nitro-n50-620

Is there anyone who has successfully done a standard 24-pin to Acer 6-pin conversion? From reading around, it seems like the Acer 6-pin is different than HP/Lenovo/etc 6-pin? 

Or do we think this would work?
https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Power-Adapter-Workstation-12-inch/dp/B06XW7RWNH

Thanks!

[edited the title to add model name]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options
    It is tough to tell on those, they don't give the actual pinout for their adapters... Here is what Acer uses, and it's pretty standard for the 12VO designs, except for those few that merge both connectors into a single 10 pin, or those gaming rigs that use a second ATX_12V four pin to handle the extra load for GPUs:
    Note that you need a PSU that has a single rail for the 12V output and that that 12V output needs to have enough current to drive your power needs. Also be aware that some older PSU designs expect there to be a load on the +5V rail, so stay away from those since you won't be using it at all.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • psupinoutquestion

Tinkerer

edited August 2022
    Options
    @billsey

Thanks.

So which way is the pin layout:

And do you know why there's an empty pin? Do I need to care about that?

Also, the label on the case says "6-pin ATX Power". Do you know if that's a standard? Can I buy any 24-pin to 6-pin ATX adapter and be fine?

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,442 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    You can use an ohmmeter to find your ground connections.
    I think pin 1 is where the key is located on your MB picture of the power connector.
    Newegg shows a few for ATX 
    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=atx+PSU+24-pin+to+MOBO+6-pin+conversion

• psupinoutquestion

Tinkerer

Options
    @Larryodie

Thanks. Are we sure those newegg adapters will work for Acer? They all say Dell/HP.
    Is that 6-pin ATX a standard layout?
  • billsey
    Options
    The 6pin 12VO is standard, but ATX supplies also use a six pin that has only 12V x3 and Gnd x3, which is quite different.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • psupinoutquestion

Tinkerer

Options
    @billsey

So will ANY 24-pin to 6-pin adapter work? Even if it says it's for HP/Dell/etc?

Also, which way are the pins numbered?

Thank you

• billsey
    Options
    The best I could get blowing up the illustration in the SG is this:
    Notice the shape of the holes in the socket. Some have a rounded side to the plug can only go in one way. Next look at the colors of the wires going to the socket from the stock power supply. There should be two yellow wires (+12V), three black wires (Ground) and one that's likely purple (PS_On).

• psupinoutquestion

Tinkerer

edited August 2022
    Options
    @billsey
    @Larryodie

First, thank you both for responding and trying to help me.

Second, I feel like my questions aren't being directly or clearly answered and that's frustrating. I could also be misunderstanding what you're trying to tell me. I think I need to ask them in a better way.

Let's say I'm going to make my own adapter and splice everything together myself. So I need to know which wires from the 24-pin PSU connector go to which holes in the 6-pin connector.

QUESTION #1

How does this chart:

Transfer to this plug:

Is it numbered like on the left or the right? Or is it numbered in a different way? Which pin is pin #1? 
    @billsey I get that the connector can only be plugged in one way. I'm trying to understand which orientation it's numbered so I can make sure the right wires are going to the correct pins. Again, pretend I'm going to make my own adapter.
    @Larryodie what's the 'key' you mentioned on the mobo?

QUESTION #2

In the photo of my 6-pin connector above, one of the pins is empty (bottom right) - there is no wire going to it. It is a 6-pin connector with only 5 attached wires.
    What is the open/empty pin and is it important?
    All of the 24-pin to 6-pin adapters online have all 6 pins full and connected to wires. 

Thank you for your patience with me.
  • Larryodie
    Options
    In Billsey's latest picture, I think that the rib would be pin 1. If you use an ohmmeter, it'll show you which pins are ground on the MBO. 
  • Larryodie
    Options
    How about Jagger's post on this thread. It looks messy but it worked on his unit. Just tape them good or use shrink thermal if you have it. Billsey says to tie down the Pwr-on 
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/614670/tc-895-eb11-6-pin-power-cable-conector/p1
  • psupinoutquestion

Tinkerer

Options
    @Larryodie

What do you mean by the 'rib'? In Billsey's image (edited below) which one is the 'rib' - A, B, C, D, E, or F?

I did see that other thread by @jagger but I don't think I ever saw a 'SUCCESS' follow-up post so I wasn't sure if it ever worked. I'll re-read it closely later tonight.

Thanks!
  • Larryodie
    Options
    Rib guide next to C: 
    They are lots of 24 to 6 pin cables on Amazon. I searched the questions and saw one that said it'd worked OK on an Acer TC-1660. 

• billsey
    Options
    OK, based on the one hole missing a wire we can assume that one is the GND matched with the PS_ON signal. So, the numbering is neither 654/321 or 123/456. It's likely 321/654. The easiest way to tell though it to look at the connector in your computer. As I said earlier the +12V are yellow, the Gnd black and the PS_ON is a third color, likely purple.
  • Zerrebi
    Zerrebi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I can confirm (as I made the modification and it works) the below wiring.

However, the PS-ON signal from the board is not delivering a shorting signal (ground) but a .5V.
    So my replacement PSU didn't recognize it as most need an impuls short or stable jump between PS-On and GND as the ATX std call. you so have 2 solutions :

1- easy way: make a jump with a wire between #1 & #2 but you will loose the ability to shut down your PSU by software (the Motherboard will shut, but the PSU will continue running)

2- add a impulse switch between the 2 so it start the PSU but doesn stay jumped together so the software can still send the shut down and reboot signal.

I'm currently at option 1, moving to option 2

I will try to splice the front switch, so when I push on it, it send the signal to the motherboard but also short the PS-On from the PSU so it will be as a normal computer :).

Also the computer came with a 4 pins accessorie ATX12V plug connector from the original PSU, but the card has a 8 pin socket. The standard 8 pin auxialiary ATX connectors fit and deliver the correct voltages in my case.

I made the replacement to be able to use an RTX as the original PSU didn't have any PCIe auxiliary power supply and didn't deliver close to the right power to run it. obviously I had to make some hole to fit the PSU and have enough air flow, but at the end I have cute beast that cost me half the price of the what it cost from a shelf.

OFF COURSE THAT WOULD BE IDIOTIC TO TRY ANY OF THIS MODIFICATIONS WITHOUT VALIDATING BY HIMSELF WITH THE APPROPRIATE TOOLS THAT WHAT I WROTE APLY TO THEIR CASE AND WITHOUT ANY UNDERSTANDING OF BASIC ELECTRONIC. PLEASE ALWAYS USE CAUTION AND PROTECTION.

• MartinBorcin
    MartinBorcin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi @Zerrebi

re: I'm currently at option 1, moving to option 2

Have option 2 worked, please?

Same story here - bought a new PSU to support a GeForce RTX; and with 24pin to 6 pin reduction I can game like a king, but the PC wouldn't turn off

thank you