I would like to replace the PSU in TC-895-EB11 6 pin power cable/conector

2»

Answers

• jnelly
    jnelly Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2020
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Nope, that has the old style Main Power (24-Pin) connector instead of the new 12VO connectors (6&8Pin).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ABCol216
    ABCol216 Member Posts: 1 New User
    jagger said:
    Did you get the new pay to work? I got as far as connecting the new psu, the 4 pin arc-12v seems fine and got an RTX with its power fine. But it is the P1 tax-power that seems to be giving me grief. If I hack it and use the atx power from the old psu with everything else connected to the new psu I can start the computer fine (had to short the new psu to get it to run along side). 

But Used a 6 pin connector and wired it to match the require pin outs. 

But the machine won’t start when I click the power button. 

Anyone have any ideas on next steps? I checked the power, paper clip test works, voltage checked to 12 volts. 

This is the last step to getting this tc-895 into a gaming box and upgraded with a RTX-2060 super. 
    Add a ground in with the POn and it works, I've just done mine. 
  • JeremyRaevens
    JeremyRaevens Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, has this problem been resolved?
    Same issue here. Wanted to upgrade the PSU. Bought a normal one not knowing this motherboard is specific...
    Thank you.
    Regards
  • Daver
    Daver Member Posts: 1 New User
    ABCol216 said:
    jagger said:
    Did you get the new pay to work? I got as far as connecting the new psu, the 4 pin arc-12v seems fine and got an RTX with its power fine. But it is the P1 tax-power that seems to be giving me grief. If I hack it and use the atx power from the old psu with everything else connected to the new psu I can start the computer fine (had to short the new psu to get it to run along side). 

But Used a 6 pin connector and wired it to match the require pin outs. 

But the machine won’t start when I click the power button. 

Anyone have any ideas on next steps? I checked the power, paper clip test works, voltage checked to 12 volts. 

This is the last step to getting this tc-895 into a gaming box and upgraded with a RTX-2060 super. 
    Add a ground in with the POn and it works, I've just done mine. 
    This is an excellent thread, and I followed everything right up to "add a ground in with the POn".  Where do we add this ground?  In the empty P4 pin?  Thanks!
  • billsey
    If you look at my post from last September, you can see that the Power Supply ON signal pin should be paired with a Ground pin on the six pin connector.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Veryconfusedman
    Veryconfusedman Member Posts: 3 New User
    billsey said:
    If you look at my post from last September, you can see that the Power Supply ON signal pin should be paired with a Ground pin on the six pin connector.
    Ive been using this thread as a guide as i try to install a 650w corsair psu into my acer tc-875 (model d17a5) (pinouts for psu here : https://www.reddit.com/r/PCSleeving/comments/eoom3t/corsair_psu_type_4_pinout_diagram_dark_mode/).  Ive followed the steps outlined by the people in the thread, wiring ground, +12V, and P-on connections to the appropriate output, and checked them against the original psu, and with a multimeter for continuity. 

Despite trying to pair the P-on with a ground, "P-ok" and no cable at all (the configuration of the original psu) ive not been able to get the cpu to start with the power switch. Ive confirmed the motherboard is still good with the original psu, and that my new corsair psu is still good. Ive also been able to get the psu to turn on and power the machine by shorting p-on. 

It seemed like this would be the best place to look for advice since it seems like people here have succeeded with this/are familiar with the system. Any help at all would be appreciated, and i can provide pictures of setup on request.
  • Veryconfusedman
    Veryconfusedman Member Posts: 3 New User
    Ive been using this thread as a guide as i try to install a 650w corsair psu into my acer tc-875 (model d17a5) 
     Actually its a tc895. 
  • billsey
    There are two components to turning a system on. The first is the power switch, which provides momentary contact to two pins on the motherboard, usually on a front panel connector. The second is the power enable line to the PSU on it's connector. In your case the second is working fine, since you can short the power on and the PSU fires up. So we need to look at the front panel connector. Are you in the original case? Check to see if you have continuity when the switch is pressed and none when it's not.
  • Jimsky
    Jimsky Member Posts: 2 New User

I have also looked for solution to this as require Min 550W PSU for Graphics card i have !

Bought This to test :

ATX PSU 24-Pin to 6-Pin Power Supply Adapter Cable 18AWG for DELL XPS PC Compute | eBay

Works Fine, Powers up but leaves fans running constantly even when powered down! So remove the Grey wire in Pic which is the corner one that is not in use on OEM Connection! But still fans run ! any thoughts

• billsey

On the Acer's the PWR_OK isn't really used, they just ground it, so having that pin connected or not shouldn't make any difference. Here's the pinout:

Your fan issue isn't directly related to the power wiring. What PSU are you testing with? It needs to have all it's 12V on a single rail and provide enough wattage on that rail to meet your GPU needs, so likely you will need a PSU that's rated higher than the 550W target. You also need to have the second connector with four wires connected to the MB. Then likely you will also need a third (or fourth) connector for the GPU card itself.

• themero
    themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited October 2023

I've solved the fans still running after shutdown if your running a standard ATX psu with a 6 pin adaptor . Go to windows power options and set sleep button to do nothing , then disable fast startup . The idea came to me reading about pcs not shutting down just rebooting . Thought maybe it might work and it did .

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon

Great Information.

• themero
    themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon

Showing off now lol .. fitted the TC 1760 motherboard into a cheap £30 case , few green 120mm fans for £10 , I think they compliment the green motherboard too . And now I have room for the Rx 6600 , oh and the cowboy GPU support haha.

• billsey

Note that most of Acer's ATX12VO motherboard require more connections than just the 6 pin. Make sure the PSU has those as well.

• gptechman
    gptechman Member Posts: 1 New User

@themero how did you do all this? i would like to do the same i have a gtx 1660 super and use a seperate psu on top of my system (TC-1780) want to buy a case but i dont know how it will fit and what the pinout is for the front panel of the power button. i ordered a 6pin adapter & waiting for it to arrive but i'm needing to buy a case obviously, so what is the procedure to complete this mod? do i have to worry about short circuit in motherboard when mounting it inside a case?