After a few attempts, my Acer SW3-016 still refuses to find a bootable device, why is this the case?

Answers

• Jeff7899
    Jeff7899 Member Posts: 80

Tinkerer

I flashed Ubuntu budgie to the USB, it has GParted within the live image so can I salvage it with that?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,782 Trailblazer
    First live boot budgies and try to install it on the emmc as is. If the budgie installation detects the earlier LinuxLite installation and asks if you want to wipe it, then let  it do the wiping and try to salvage the emmc.

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Alright, so the erase the operating system option then?
  • JackE
    Go for it! Good luck!

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Sorry to disappoint, but it doesn’t seem to work. When I f12 the only bootable device shown is the mass storage usb device, so idk what’s up with it. It could be my emmc drive dying but I want to know if there is any other cause. And by the way I might be able to get the gparted iso to work. I think I downloaded the wrong one (i686). I’ll try with the AMD64 one instead 
  • JackE
    The USB is the only bootable mass storage device simply because the emmc mass storage device isn't bootable. So boot from the USB stick and try to install Linux on emmc mass storage device to make it bootable.

And, BTW, you already got gparted to work last week. So if worse comes to worse we can try to wipe it clean and salvage it from gparted. But first try to make it bootable!!!!

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Alright and thanks for sticking with me through this
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

It didn’t work, could you please show me how to wipe it using Gparted?
  • JackE
    Boot from the Gparted USB stick again till you get back to this screen.

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Alright, I’ll do that now
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Alright what next?
  • JackE
    Click on device tab. Is  attempt device data rescue available?

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Yes it is!
  • JackE
    Go for it. See what happens. If it successfully completes, you may want to try to exit Gparted from the USB  by click on the File tab. Sometimes seems to take forever to shut down. Just be patient. If after an hour or so it doesn't shut down, then press and hold power button to force a shut down. Then remove the USB stick. Then turn the machine back on and hold your breath to see what happens. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

The data rescue didn't even pick up any filesystems, so I don't know what's up with this device.
  • JackE
    OK. Click on a partition. Then click the partition tab again. Then delete the partition. Do it for each partition on the emmc so they all become unallocated.

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Alright, then what?
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Because I’ve done it
  • JackE
    Please post a screenshot of what Gparted looks like now. Here's what it looked like before.

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

One second, I’ll get that sorted tomorrow because at the moment stuff is busy