After a few attempts, my Acer SW3-016 still refuses to find a bootable device, why is this the case?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,782 Trailblazer
    Check again that the F12 boot option is still enabled in the BIOS Main tab. Do you have the original bootable LinuxLite installation USB to see if it will boot from that?

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899
    Jeff7899 Member Posts: 80

Tinkerer

Ill check, I believe I have the Linux lite disk image however so if nothing works out ill try that
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Boot option menu shows nothing by the way
  • Nightshade231
    Nightshade231 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Jeff7899 said:

by the sounds of it, and from the past few pages, you might not have the Live USB set up right. Do you have ubuntu, or access to set up a VM or access to a machine running at least Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver)? i've had no problems using "Startup Disk Creator" when it comes to linux distros. note that you also need at least an 8GB USB drive for use, but i recommend 16-32GB for faster speeds and more elbow room for file checks.
  • Nightshade231
    Nightshade231 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Jeff7899 said:

by the sounds of it, and from the past few pages, you might not have the Live USB set up right. Do you have ubuntu, or access to set up a VM or access to a machine running at least Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver)? i've had no problems using "Startup Disk Creator" when it comes to linux distros. note that you also need at least an 8GB USB drive for use, but i recommend 16-32GB for faster speeds and more elbow room for file checks.

Also, forgot to add this; Did you try every port on the laptop? Sometimes Acer BIOS is picky which port is used. I know to get the BIOS to see my Windows upgrade USB, I had to plug it into the USB 3.0 port for it to get uncovered.
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Startup disk creator isn't available for me, plus I only have one USB port too
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Update:
    I managed to install startup disk creator on my OS and I flashed the GParted iso to it... However, on the acer laptop, when I attempt to boot into it it doesn't seem to detect the usb, but on my computer (the one that works), it manages to detect and boot into the USB just fine. My acer laptop model only has one USB port and it isn't faulty because it detected the usb drive when it had Xubuntu and Linux lite within it. Could it be a BIOS configuration that is causing this? I also amended the boot order, which had no effect whatsoever
  • JackE
    Go back into the BIOS menu. Go to the EXIT screen. You should be able to load BIOS defaults and exit. Then re-enter the BIOS and enable the F12 boot option. Then save F12 setting and exit again. Shut the machine off. Insert the bootable USB. Turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F12 key. Use the LinuxLite USB since you know it works. It may have the Gparted application in it's startup menu.

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Alright… I’ll try asap 
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

I managed to get gparted on the Ubuntu budgie iso and this is what it shows for my laptop info 
  • JackE
    Click on the drive dropdown to see if the bootstick shows up OK. Should be /dev/sda or sdb or sdc

Then go back the /dev/mmcblk0. Click on View tab. Then click on DeviceInfo. Want to make sure it's still GPT partitioning.

Looks like Linux got installed OK but the EFI partition might be messed up.

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

The USB Flash Drive Shows Up With The Ubuntu Budgie ISO within it and the other drive you told me to check was GPT formatted.
  • JackE
    What Linux iso did you use to install what's on the emmc drive now?

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Uhhhhh Xubuntu I believe, but I booted into live Ubuntu budgie to access gparted 
  • JackE
    It should boot unless the EFI partition is messed up. Try booting it again with the USB stick removed. If it still doesn't work, try re-installing Xbuntu from the USB iso by tapping F12 at boot time. Don't make any changes to the BIOS menu. If still no joy, then we'll try to clean emmc with gparted and go from there. There is a possibility that parts of the emmc chip can't be reliably read or written to anymore since they fail much like a USB flash drive. They have very limited number of read-write cycles compared to a normal SSD or HDD. But they are dirt cheap and can last quite a while if not subjected to too many erase cycles.

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

alright I’ll try that 
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

I don't have the Xubuntu ISO anymore but I can try Ubuntu Budgie temporarily
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

I accidentally deleted it :disappointed:
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Could I see the gparted clean method? I installed the iso and nothing came of it, still not detecting drive other than usb 
  • JackE
    I'd remake the boot installation USB with whatever version has gparted. You may need gparted to try to salvage the emmc chip.

Jack E/NJ