Is M.2 nvme ssd supported for my Acer Nitro 5 515-51-786L

Options

Answers

• gamelordo
    gamelordo Member Posts: 47

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    by the way, i just copied for fun already installed Metro Exodus to other location, file itself is 51 gb and it went 1000 mb all the time. Is that normal?

With this os i had also better results with Crystaldiskmark and overall tests. Im sure that its not OS related, only the hibernation function then.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,740 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    Options
    i haven't used the optimized operating system yet i revios  windows 10. however, it would be interesting if you tried to partition the ssd and try to install the official microsoft iso. I think the problem may be related to some configuration of the operating system.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • gamelordo

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    Yes why not, will make a new partition with orginal windows 10 pro os. With same drivers as now and try that hibernate function and copying 51 gb folder and see what speeds are. And post it ofc. What speeds do u have with ur nvme disk when copying a  50 gb file?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    the speed of my ssd is a little slower than yours, see:

In addition, I updated my ssd nvme controller driver and this option appeared to improve performance:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay, so seems normal get lower speeds then the specs of the disk says ( your disk specs: https://www.adata.com/tz/specification/597 ). But mine can 3300 mb read and 2400 mb write based on my real test, so when copying it gets 1000 mb per seconds. I dont know if its normal, but i will do some reseach like make new partition with orginal windows 10 pro and lets see if same speeds. I think i should must get more than 1000mb per sec, would be smth around 2000mb per sec or even more. Becouse have to read wich is 3300 mb and then copying wich its write, that would be minimum of 2000mb instead 1000mb if i think logic. Well, i am waking up. Go take some coffee and go ahead with the new partition with orginal windows10 and post some results and also hibernation tests. And after that i go put orginal 128gb m2 disk back to compare with this new one.

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Answer about ur last post, i made also screenshots of device manager. My nvme samsung driver is the newest. And at section "disk drives", i can not update there, it says its updated. And i can not find samsung driver for that. So im stuck with old microsoft driver from 2006.

The second, if i uncheck the first option then the second option under the first will be greyed out. So if i want to do same as u, i have to checked both. Is this good? Also screenshots:

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In fact, I did a test with the crystaldiskmark and the rate of reading and writing was similar to that established by the manufacturer. There was even an improvement after the firmware update. I would like to see the test with the microsoft iso.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Back with new update, but this time with another copy of windows, created a new partition and installed orginal windows 10 pro and after I installed first the drivers that Acer site provided for this laptop and then I updated to the newest with intel update tool and with newest Samsung drivers, screenshot of this set up:

And got this results with Crystaldiskbench and 50 gb file copy:

Well, seems same copy speeds with Revision OS windows 10 pro. I think, for such fastest ssd, I should expect more speeds then this, even double of this.

And here two screenshots with that caching enabled or disabled, options in yours and mine are bit different. This screenshot with caching on

And this with caching off wich gave me poor results:

Then the last but not the last, about fast startup in power options, it were already enabled by windows I see and I also see its faster startup then with Revision OS and seems they have removed such function (I think have to do with optimizing for gaming OS). But strange is that I can not enable powercfg /hibernate on. I will get error like this:

I think I cant make something better how it is now and that its maximized what Samsung 970 pro disk can with this combination. If so, then I will put the orginal 128gb m2 disk back that's shipped with this laptop and compare with the Samsung 970 pro. 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The error occurs because hibernation is already enabled. 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Update of results with orginal 128gb m2 disk that is shipped with the laptop:

Bit unstable, samsung 970pro were stable all times. That first photo looks like im moving from 1tb hd to this ssd, but it is same ssd that im copying 6gb file to other location. Well, i go format this and put samsung back.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you run the same test on crystaldiskmark, but increasing the test size to 32gb or 64gb?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    Update about whole progress, i know now plus/minus of the orginal 128 ssd. The differences are most with file transfers but about loading of games/windows etc is not that much faster, with same install with windows and drivers on both drives, samsung was one second faster with booting then the orginal ssd. Well that guy from that video somewhere at this post that compare the disks (samsung970pro, old ssd and hdd) have it right, if i know this then i would buy an 1tb instead but with lower speeds. Anyway it was my choice.

I have already put the samsung 970 pro back and did tests with copy/file transfers/crystaldiskbench after install of every new driver. The best results with those drivers is to install the newest for them all, also samsung nvme driver, except two Driver Booster were coming: intel xeon e3-1200, with those two installed got suddenly very poor results. Screenshots

This is with Revision OS windows 10 pro 1909. I think i can't make it even faster/better. I will buy an laptop cooler and then will use the extreme performance in power options. Already put artic silver 5 pastes to cpu and gpu, its 15 degrees lower from orginal temps.
  • gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the support and i am very pleased with the help, i can recommend others for an Acer laptop products!

Another question, is there such trick to put a password on this samsung ssd, except bitlocker? Seems in bios that doesnt support, looks it only supports hdd password? Maybe is such tool out there to enable this?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Nvme ssds do not support adding a password! Nvme ssds do not support adding a password! This occurs with all nvme ssd models.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay, thanks!
  • gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    I have small question again, do u know how thick the thermal pads is for the chips around cpu/gpu? I want put a better one, but theres different thickness of thermal pads, like 0,5 mm, 1 mm, 1,5 mm etc.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,740 Trailblazer
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I don't have access to that information. However, it is possible that this video can help you:
    https://youtu.be/aPUCYUiGWZQ
    https://youtu.be/Ph2ibK79zd8

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    I think your translator translate it wrong. I am talking about "thermal pads" for between copper gpu/cpu cooler and the chipsets.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Check this video above again.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Before that video's, it show how to install ssd and now its changed into 2 video's about how to apply cooling paste on cpu/gpu. But i mean the thermal pads around the cpu/gpu, at second video he is cutting into small pieces for the cipsets around cpu/gpu. What thickness do i need for that pads? If u don't know or dont have access such information, then i have to open again my laptop to check what thickness is of those pads and put my Artic Silver 5 again back, but much work to know only the thickness of those pads. That guy doesn't say that from second video what thickness of those pads. By the way, the first video the guy apply tooo much paste. It will give worse cooling presentation.