Is M.2 nvme ssd supported for my Acer Nitro 5 515-51-786L

Options

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    When you enable the f12 boot menu command, can you boot windows?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • gamelordo
    gamelordo Member Posts: 47

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    Exuse again, unbelieveable. I thought its post numbers but seems its how many i posted, so now will be 12th post of me. But what i mean is that my post with first 7 photos, the fifth one, theres still seagate 1tb hd displayed. But its the wrong picture i attached, it should be a picture with only the samsung showed.

I know that my usb stick with windows 10 pro on it works, becouse before i installed the new samsung 970 pro, i had formatted the orginal 128gb m2 disk and installed windows 10 pro with that same usb disk. Its formatted into FAT32, specially for UEFI.

Any ideas? I think that the samsung 970pro is working, otherwise i cant install windows onto it. But why do i still get this no bootable device error?

edited:

I go now try with F12 trick.
  • gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Theres nothing to choose in bootmenu after pressing F12:

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! I didn't see your answer, showing that you have disabled secureboot. Sometimes the page is not updated when we are responding. Try this:
    a) disconnect the hdd and leave only the ssd connected;
    b) when installing windows, press shift + f10 to convert ssd to gpt manually, using these commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x
    clean
    convert gpt
    Then exit cmd and install windows.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Answer on u reaction, second group of photos was all the time with secureboot disabled and with removed 1tb hdd from the beginning when i came with the problem.

Here more update about the progress, after failing installing windows 10, i downloaded linux debian and i can install it and get it running, but im not impressed of the speeds of the ssd, maybe have to do with the linux drivers. it were very slow.

After searching around the net, accidentaly found a youtube movie about load samsung nvme drivers before installing windows. while at setup screen of windows 10, at choosing format/delete/partitions section. Theres a button to load drivers, so i put already extracted ( ht tps://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html )  nvme drivers onto same windows usb, loaded that driver and i can install and get into windows 10, but still very slow, looks same speed as orginal seagate 1tb 5400 rpm hdd of the nitro 5 laptop. So was messing arround untill u came with another trick that worked without loading the samsung nvme drivers from the usb windows stick. Finally can install with normal way with secureboot disabled. And this way feels bit faster then before, but not faster than the orginal 128 m2 ssd of this laptop.

i tested the samsung 970 pro with crystaldiskbench. The results look good, but the overal performance feeling, its feels slower then the orginal 128 m2 ssd that where shipped with this laptop. Starting up the laptop needs 16 seconds, i didnt recorded the seconds with the orginal 128 m2 ssd, but i remember it was faster than this. its about loading of things is slower, but copying a 5 gb file was fast, but im not sure if i profit the full speed of the disk. Needed 5 seconds to copy 5 gb file to another map on same 970pro disk.

After windows install, download and installed acer drivers for this laptop and also downloaded at samsung website the samsung nvme driver and succesfull install. But overall speeds im really not impressed, looks same or even slower then the orginal 128 m2 disk of this laptop, even the crystaldiskmark results are good. What could this be? And, do i need convert to gpt everytime when i install fresh copy of windows 10?

screenshot:

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    About the slowness, have you tried updating the firmware with the samsung magician? Also, what happens when you uninstall and delete these drivers in safe boot mode?

I've seen reports that intel's ahci drivers can interfere with the performance of the ssd nvme.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, that trick seems destroyed my windows 10 complety hehe

After booting in safe mode, deleted those drivers/files succesfully. And changet msconfig into normal boot mode and then first message i got is: your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. we will restart for you.

after this restart, i get another screen message and stuck with it: preparing automatic repair but it repairs nothing.

I go reinstall windows again.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It is not necessary. You can download the drivers and use a USB stick to install in safe mode.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,735 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Do you have how to enable safe mode with networking?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Its not a problem, this copy of windows is just for messing and testing untill have good configuration with good speeds etc. If found such good configuration, then i will reinstall windows again but with another one without bloatware:

Well, almost done with reinstalling windows. now im booted into fresh copy of windows. Now i have only installed newest Nvidia gpu driver (version 441.87) and nothing more.

What is ur advice to do next?

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    now i am here:

At "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" when clicked on it will expand with only this info: Standard SATA AHCI Controller.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I suggest you leave the nvme and ata / atapi controllers with the standard windows drivers. However, there are other drivers with exclamation marks that need to be updated.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    by the way, answer on ur previous reaction about update firmware, there was no newer firmware then this one. So i think its depends on drivers about that slowness problem. I think i have to download chipset drivers from acer website for this laptop.

This driver: Chipset Driver (Kabylake)

Date:2017/07/24

Version:10.1.1.38

Vendor:Intel

Size: 2.6 MB

and

SATA AHCI Driver (Kabylake)

Date:2017/07/24

Version:15.2.0.1020

Vendor:Intel

Size:13.3 MB

I think a good start is to do this first. And then hopefully theres overall speed improvement. Becouse, after installing this new copy of windows 10 pro, i installing nvidia drivers from samsung 970pro disk and it were long, like around 4 minutes. I know from normal sata ssds, it went much faster.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In this case, I suggest that you run a read and write test with the standard ata / atapi driver provided by windows and then do the same test, using the intel sata driver.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, i did a lot of different tests. At first tested with clean windows without installing drivers then with intel atapi driver from acer site and later updated to the newest. But theres no difference between installed or not of the newest or from acer site intel atapi driver. picture attached:

After installing samsung nvme driver with newest intel atapi driver got much better results with benchmarking. The picture:

Also tried with different versions of windows 10 pro, like 1806 but that gave worse results. I am now at windows  10 pro 1909.

Well, those results looks good, but the overall performance when im working with laptop, like installing drivers, programs or games, it during so very long. Its like im installing into a old slow ssd or even an hdd. Or loading like 3dmark also loads long time.

I attached screen recording of installing Metro Exodus, the game itself is 60 gb. It took me 5 minutes to install, with such around 2000 mb write speeds, should be in one minute or less. Or im installing drivers wich its some hunderds mbs, it took also minutes. Almost everything took minimal of one minute, im totally not impressed of this disk or this laptop cant handle the speed of this disk?? I saw at youtube, theres guy with same laptop but with normal gtx 1050 and i7-7300Q and mine is with TI and i7-7700Q and he is much faster then mine with his normal type of samsung evo 970. Maybe the PRO works another way that this laptop cant handle. Here the youtube links about the installation of Metro and 3dMark tool.

I am out of idea's.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is there a function called rapid mode in the magician? If so, try to activate it and check the speed.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, been told on internet that Rapid technology is not supported by nvme ssds, because they already very fast. STill tried install that, but i see then only the 1tb but not the samsung pro.

Any solution for this?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I have seen a similar problem in the magician program, which did not identify the ssd nvme, but that was because sata mode was in rst with optane. You can send a screenshot of the magician program settings...

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• gamelordo

Tinkerer

Options
    Off course, here the screenshots of the Samsung Magician settings.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Rapid mode uses a part of the ram. However, it only works on older SSDS or SATA 3. It doesn't really work on NVM models, as you previously reported. Now, have you tried clicking on optimize drivers? Have you also turned off defragmentation?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer