What thickness for thermal pads can I use on GPU VRM chips for Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52)?

Options

Answers

• Citizenkane
    Citizenkane Member Posts: 48 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I put 0.5 on vmem nad 1mm on the rest...BUT i will open it again tomorrow to check for footprint i think 0.5 is not enough...
  • zerophyte
    zerophyte Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the quick response @Citizenkane , I ordered some different sizes of arctic thermal pads just in case, so I'll have 0.5mm, 1.0mm and 1.5mm at my disposal.
  • belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I put 0.5 on vmem nad 1mm on the rest...BUT i will open it again tomorrow to check for footprint i think 0.5 is not enough...
    I have the same now, yesterday replaced pink paste with 0.5mm pads with some drops of thermal paste under 
    Arctic Sliver everywhere  

But I also put wide washer on gpu screw #6 for even better pressure so it could better press through the vmem pads
  • Citizenkane
    Options
    belik said:
    I have the same now, yesterday replaced pink paste with 0.5mm pads with some drops of thermal paste under 
    Arctic Sliver everywhere  

But I also replaced one gpu screw with wide washer for even better pressure
    So you put paste on the pads ? Woww nice ...do you have any power or thermal throteling ? Is your CPU on 4.2 Ghz ? Or less ? Tx
  • belik
    Options
    On 3 vmem chips where I know that 0.5mm is not enough, I added thermal paste also, other 3 are pads only

I don’t have thermal throttling I have only power throttling on 56w

56w is enough to have 4Ghz on all 6 cores under stress test in XTU while under prime95 it will be around 3.6 that’s normal as prime use extra functions like avx 
  • Citizenkane
    Options
    @belik few questions:

1. this CPU should go to 4.50 GHz so 4 is not enough ?
    2. Is it safe to put paste on pads ? How did you put it just a drop or whole lenght of the pad ?
    3. What xtu profiles do you have ? Do you have some download links ?
    4. On chips arround CPU did you put 1mm or 0.5 ?
  • belik
    Options
    @belik few questions:

1. this CPU should go to 4.50 GHz so 4 is not enough ?
    2. Is it safe to put paste on pads ? How did you put it just a drop or whole lenght of the pad ?
    3. What xtu profiles do you have ? Do you have some download links ?
    4. On chips arround CPU did you put 1mm or 0.5 ?
    1. 4.5 possible only on single core, on 6 cores it’s 4Ghz 
    2. I believe yes
    3. Various, default profile for turbo with undervolt -125 and 56W PL1 is fine, you can increase undervolt till -165 later
    4. 1mm everywhere except vmem where it’s 0.5, I also tried 1.5mm but it’s worse 
    5. Install PredatorSense, set -125 and 56 in XTU then run stress test cpu in XTU for 5 min and share you screenshot on 5th min, you must have power throttling 56 and frequency 4Ghz
  • Citizenkane
    Options
    Do you have a picture of paste on the pads im really interested in that.
  • belik
    Options
    No, just apply thin layer on those chips where you’ll find lack of footprint, just similarly how you do it on cpu/gpu
  • belik
    edited January 2020
    Options
    if run simple cpu stress test in xtu (without avx) then PL1 56W is enough to have constant line stable 4Ghz as it utilized around 52W

• belik
    edited January 2020
    Options
    For test with avx2, it requires more cpu power and undervolt -125 was not enough and my freq was 3.96 so I had to increase undervolt till -170 (didn't try less) and I got rock stable 4Ghz also =)

• Citizenkane
    Options
    So you have zero power or thermail teoteling ?
  • belik
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Do you see thermal throtling on 2 graphs above (yellow line)? No you don’t
    Thermal throttle is at 94C while my temp 80 and I can increase fans rpm more, no single chance for that
  • Citizenkane
    Options
    Do you know if there is a way to see vram temperatures ? I want to be sure i made good contact with thermal pads. Tx
  • belik
    Options
    On which one, on every of 6? They all individual and you can fail with any of them  =)
  • Citizenkane
    Options
    ok so i opened the laptop again this morning and seen some problems. First 0.5 is not enough for Vmem it need to be 1mm ! On all chips go 1mm pads its very important. I will put pictures so others can see and maybe i can help someone. ONE THING to remember: DO NOT REMOVE PINK PASTE its excellent quality and very hard to replace, paste and other pads can be replaced but pink ones dont tuch, you can't buy this anywhere!

So im interested why do i get power limit throttling at this setting they are much lower than next picture !? If anyone can explain power limits i would be very greatfull.

With this setting i don't get ANY power or thermal throttling its stable from start to finish! And my temperatures are stable at 62'C sometimes jump to 70'C. Also if someone can explain why at this setting i don't get any throttling?

I used this paste and pads:

My last question does anyone have some stable profiles for XTU that goes above 4Ghz ? tx hope this will help someone :) 
  • belik
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Those Gelid pads are the best what I tried, very good
    Pink paste is obviously not excellent and pads will work better but yes it's difficult to apply them, I got rid of pink staff and not going to back to it anymore but for newbees it's better to keep it
    XTU cpu test is weak one and doesn't consume more that 52-55W, new versions of XTU comes with two new test cpu+avx and cpu+avx2 if you run it you won't reach 4Ghz
    And finally, most demanding app is prime95 and it eats 65W so you will never have 4Ghz under it because limit of this helios is tiny 56W

Above 4Ghz is not possible if speaking about 6 cores load I already said above, 4.5 is possible only on single core
  • Citizenkane
    Options
    In the latest XTU can you apply profiles ? What is the best benchmark i can test my GPU ? TX
  • belik
    Options
    You can apply settings in any version of XTU but if you want to bake it into PredatorSense later you'll need certain version of XTU, I explained it in thread for Helios 700 you can find which ver exactly there
    But for just testing latest ver of XTU is fine

Is you fans on auto during a test? You max cpu temp is around 72 under XTU cpu test without avx?

For GPU, I didn't tune yet, I used Timespy and Firestrike, my scores 6700 Timespy and 15100 Firestrike

• Citizenkane
    Options
    I use old version of XTU have to check what version and i wll post here.

Predator sense was off so it was default fan speed i disnt touch it, and yes it spikes max to 72'C.....is that ok ?