What thickness for thermal pads can I use on GPU VRM chips for Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52)?

Answers

• belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    That's fine, I have spikes till 79C and 74C in average
  • belik
    edited January 2020
    I found that if to place a mouse cursor over Package Temperature section, it shows statistics
    I downgraded to old version of XTU and my max temp is 79C (recent maximum)

• Citizenkane
    Citizenkane Member Posts: 48 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Do you know a way to overclock GPU except the turbo button ? Tx....some links would help if you have any....
  • Citizenkane
    I am so sorry guys i just realized this is 315 model my is 317 17" :(
  • belik
    I am so sorry guys i just realized this is 315 model my is 317 17" :(
    PH317-53?
  • Citizenkane
    Yes PH317-53-73d2
  • belik
    edited January 2020
    You know I tried to apply Noctua NT-H2 instead of Grizzly Kryonaut and so far results just excellent

With the fans on auto at 2600+2900 rpm and with PL1 56W, I have stable 4Ghz in XTU stress test and temperature peak 73C and average 66C

Will check how it will work with the time, Kryonaut had a tendency to get worse after several days but so far I am a fan of Noctua paste  =)
  • Citizenkane
    Yes Noctua is great...bdw i turned off short turbo boost and i have zero thermal or power throteling and my temperatures are just a flat line ....its so nice to see that :)
  • belik
    edited January 2020
    And made in Taiwan  btw =)

But you didn't have thermal throttling anyway, did you? You could have only power throttling and only in specific cases when system wanted to get above 56W, I know only prime95 can do it, it needs 62-65W to run at full 4ghz. XTU needs only 52W which fits into 56W limit.
  • Citizenkane
    Zero thermal throttling its perfect now....so stable nevwr seen this before on other laptops :)
  • belik
    edited January 2020
    And I checked footprint again and again conclusions the same, three chips ok with 0.5mm and for other three 0.5mm is too little but 1mm is too much so on those I used 0.5mm with some paste under, will see how it works with time

• Citizenkane
    What do u have here ?
  • belik
    edited January 2020
    Well here is full picture

but each heatsink is individual and may differ from mine
  • Citizenkane
    Do you know why am i getting power current edp limit throtteling, what is that ?
  • Citizenkane
    edited January 2020

@belik can you chek my power settings please i have no idea why  i get power limit trotteling ? tx i tried undervorl -120 -125 and -130
  • Citizenkane
    here is another image...
  • Citizenkane
    today i made some changes...i dont have any kind of throtteling, also i did AIDA64 test for about 40min. look at the picture

• zerophyte
    zerophyte Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Question for ya @belik
    how should I apply my noctua nt h2 paste? Pea dot in centre of gpu and cpu or X pattern? Or should I spread the paste all over the die? 
  • belik
    zerophyte said:
    Question for ya @belik
    how should I apply my noctua nt h2 paste? Pea dot in centre of gpu and cpu or X pattern? Or should I spread the paste all over the die? 
    I did according their instructions 
    Put one dot 3-4mm on the center cpu and one dot on the center and four small dots near angles on gpu
  • Citizenkane
    edited February 2020

I reccommend this kind of pasting over dots. My temperatures in aida 64 after 1h fans at 4500rpm 60'C