Helios 500 AMD (PH517-61-R0GX) Graphics Drivers

Options
12346»

Answers

• SRB151
    SRB151 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options
    AU Optronics makes the panel.  That part is the panel model number...Just like we said...nest to it, it says "Generic plug and play".  That won't work.  You didn't change the driver in Device Manager
  • deksman2
    deksman2 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    SRB151 said:
    AU Optronics makes the panel.  That part is the panel model number...Just like we said...nest to it, it says "Generic plug and play".  That won't work.  You didn't change the driver in Device Manager
    To whom was that directed?
    I changed the driver in the Device Manager just fine (had to restart Windows as a result too), but it still kept saying 'Generic Plug and Play'... but it DID get rid of the static noise problem.
  • dcmod
    dcmod Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    IT'S FIXED!!!! IT'S FINALLY F√¢¥£@# FIXED!!!!! 

Waited for a second release with the issue gone, and it is FINALLY gone!!!!!!

............. Now if we can just get the freesync driver issue we'd FINALLY have a FULLY operational monster of a laptop. Just make sure to file a few error reports with the new system and they'll get it fixed. I hit them twice a day on the sleep issue until it went away. 
    So what is fixed ? The wake from sleep without static and Freesync ?  If so, what AMD driver fixed both of this issues ?
  • LahqJaw
    LahqJaw Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Any news here??? I sure would like to update my graphic drivers without any static returning from sleep???? Please help.
  • LahqJaw
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Any news on an updated graphics driver that works????
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    LahqJaw I would not recommend using sleep mode on any windows laptops never worked and never will work properly its microsoft fault to never wanted to fix it use hibernate instead and disable fast boot also o dont see the need of using the sleep mode the ssds are fast enough to boot everything under 10s

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• LahqJaw
    edited October 2020
    Options
    xapim said:
    LahqJaw I would not recommend using sleep mode on any windows laptops never worked and never will work properly its microsoft fault to never wanted to fix it use hibernate instead and disable fast boot also o dont see the need of using the sleep mode the ssds are fast enough to boot everything under 10s
    Then maybe I don't know the difference between hibernate and sleep. When I close the lid of my laptop...sleep / hibernate??? No clue, I just expect when I open the lid back up, that I actually can get back to work with a screen that isn't a garbled mess.

I've never had that problem on any other laptop. Open it, close it...no problem. Why am I supposed to sacrifice that same quality of life convenience, if it's fixable?

Hence the reason for me being here and asking questions. It appears that a couple people have mentioned there is a fix, well if that's the case...I'd ask that they would please share it. 
  • dcmod

Tinkerer

Options
    Rebooting mode from Sleep mode is definitely faster than rebooting from hibernate mode. There is a big difference in the time 
  • SRB151
    Options
    LahqJaw said:
    xapim said:
    Then maybe I don't know the difference between hibernate and sleep. When I close the lid of my laptop...sleep / hibernate??? No clue, I just expect when I open the lid back up, that I actually can get back to work with a screen that isn't a garbled mess.

I've never had that problem on any other laptop. Open it, close it...no problem. Why am I supposed to sacrifice that same quality of life convenience, if it's fixable?

Hence the reason for me being here and asking questions. It appears that a couple people have mentioned there is a fix, well if that's the case...I'd ask that they would please share it. 

Well, you can set Windows to do whatever you want.  When I had sleep causing it to reboot to a snowy screen and it locked up, I just set mine to shutdown when the lid was closed.  I haven't needed it in a month or so, but it's been working fine for about 6  months now in sleep mode.  Not to put too fine a point on it, but don't pay any attention to xapim, he's acting as if we're still on Win95 in the dark days...as I said earlier, I've had gaming laptops for the past 10+ years, and all of them slept properly as well as had no issues with driver updates.  According to him, you should never deviate from the shipping configuration in any way or it will crash and burn.  Needs to get into the 21st century.
  • dcmod

Tinkerer

Options
    SRB151,,  can you tell us what version of the AMD Adrenaline software you used that does not have the static screen issues when wakeup from sleep and support the FreeSync ?
    I am still stuck on the original drivers from Acer 

• SRB151
    Options
    dcmod said:
    SRB151,,  can you tell us what version of the AMD Adrenaline software you used that does not have the static screen issues when wakeup from sleep and support the FreeSync ?
    I am still stuck on the original drivers from Acer 

HI,  I'm currently running 20.10.1 as of today.   Sleep and everything working normally.   The problem I had was two fold.  1st, the ***** firmware is setup so that Windows update keeps reloading the 2018 driver, which is what I think screwed me up  in the first place.  Second, the key for me was to go into device manager and change the monitor type from generic plug n play to Digital Flat Panel (1920x1080)60hz.   Select monitor under device manager and tell it to manually select.  Uncheck the recommended devices box and scroll up and select the digital flat panel.   Reboot it, and use CRU to set the freesync range as outlined earlier (it may still say generic pnp,  but it seems to work.  Reboot one more time, turn on freesync, and try sleep.  Mine's still working fine and I just tested  it even after applying a bunch of windows updates (haven't had it out in a  while) and having to uninstall that *()#@& 2018 driver that windows puts  in.  Good luck.
  • Khelgar
    Khelgar Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Anyone else keep getting this? Happens with the most recent and previous software version and factory reset as well. Everything's fine at first setup till the next day you get this error.

• Imir10
    Imir10 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I don't see the picture but I am assuming its the "AMD drivers don't match" error. I've been getting this **** error for the last couple of months. Tried a bunch of different fixes found online, but like you said, the error comes back a day or two later. I am going back to 19.5.2 for a few days to see if it solves it.
  • SRB151
    Options
    Imir10 said:
    I don't see the picture but I am assuming its the "AMD drivers don't match" error. I've been getting this **** error for the last couple of months. Tried a bunch of different fixes found online, but like you said, the error comes back a day or two later. I am going back to 19.5.2 for a few days to see if it solves it.

If this is what I think it is, it's because after you install the current drivers, Windows update will go back and install an older driver because it thinks the wrong one is installed.  Once that's done, the Radeon control panel version doesn't match the installed driver.  Make sure windows is up to date, install the latest driver, and then turn off or suspend windows updates and see if that doesn't solve your issue.
  • Imir10
    Imir10 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Already tried this and unfortunately it did not fix it for me. 
  • Khelgar
    Khelgar Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Imir10 said:

Yes that error. I also reverted back to older 19.11.3 and it hasn't been happening for like a week. Seems like the newer drivers are not good for this laptop. This hardware really deserved better software support, don't know if i should blame AMD or Acer.
  • evolucion888
    evolucion888 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    A brief summary of my experiencie.

The static after sleep never got fixed no matter what drivers I used. It got fixed when I upgraded my Windows 10 to 2004

2) I can upgrade my GPU drivers without issues, as far as I don't use the Factory Reset. If you do that, Freesync no longer work, but does not require the installation of the original drivers, by just using CRU add the Freesync Support range with the tool after installing the drivers, delete the unused monitors on the list, reboot and voila, it works.

3) Don't use the Ryzen power profile, it is meant for first gen Ryzen to allow the CPU to be stuck at 90% so the CPU can control its power states, not needed for second Gen. If you use the Ryzen power profile, the CPU will be stuck at 3.40GHz no matter what. If you change it to balanced, it will allow the CPU to idle at 1.5GHz but ramp the clockspeeds up to 4.10GHz during light workloads, allowing the system to feel snappier on lightly threaded applications as the Windows power scheme already contains the fixes for the second gen Ryzen. Ryzen 3x00 series clock behavior works the same no matter if you use generic balanced or the Ryzen performance as it already supports CCCP and does its own lol.

4) The latest Ryzen Master tool works like a champ and allows you to ramp up the memory clocks when you upgrade the RAM in the case that it only runs at 2,133MHz. Not tested with higher than 2,400MHz.

5) Battery life depletes quickly, already 30% in less than a year, those Panasonic cells aren't really that great.
  • enderbsd
    enderbsd Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    To future google searchers, do this:
    I couldn't get a single driver version working past 20.10.1

And make sure you disable your windows update from both the control panel, and using the regedit key. Doing the control panel only, was not enough to stop windows from changing drivers out from under me. Even then, im pretty sure it only stopped because i paused all updates for 7 days. If anyone has a solid proven way to stop windows 10 from changing the drivers, past the control panel setting, and regedit please let me know. Thanks.

SRB151 said:

HI,  I'm currently running 20.10.1 as of today.   Sleep and everything working normally.   The problem I had was two fold.  1st, the ***** firmware is setup so that Windows update keeps reloading the 2018 driver, which is what I think screwed me up  in the first place.  Second, the key for me was to go into device manager and change the monitor type from generic plug n play to Digital Flat Panel (1920x1080)60hz.   Select monitor under device manager and tell it to manually select.  Uncheck the recommended devices box and scroll up and select the digital flat panel.   Reboot it, and use CRU to set the freesync range as outlined earlier (it may still say generic pnp,  but it seems to work.  Reboot one more time, turn on freesync, and try sleep.  Mine's still working fine and I just tested  it even after applying a bunch of windows updates (haven't had it out in a  while) and having to uninstall that *()#@& 2018 driver that windows puts  in.  Good luck.

• whitebunnyflock
    whitebunnyflock Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Enderbsd I couldn’t get it working for the longest time but I finally did using these steps: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/999683#Comment_999683