Helios 500 AMD (PH517-61-R0GX) Graphics Drivers

Options

Answers

• Kobdzio
    Kobdzio Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hello everyone ^^ 
    I'm new here and I've learned a lot reading all the replies under this thread - like the fact that my model is: PH517-61-R96B and not R0GX (and it's not on the list of FreeSync supported devices - btw can someone confim this?)

I have a few questions about static, freesync, overclocking and viable graphics drivers:

1. I get static on the newest (20.4.1) drivers - but reading everything here some said they fixed it on specific drivers some say something else. I don't know who to listen to. Any tips???
    2. Like I mentioned in the beginning - is freesync unavailable for me on this model? And if so, what is the difference between R96B and R0GX. I've tried googling it but it's a tough task. Additionally, I've been hesitant with newer drivers ever since they've sunk my fps in competitive shooters but if I recall correctly freeSync was working fine (is it just my imagination considering my model is not on the list of supported products?)
    3. If I'm not mistaken I'm on a chipset B450 and I was wondering if overclocking is even an option? I was going to try AMD Ryzen Master but what's the point if it's for nothing. 

And there we are. If there are threads that answer my questions I'll move straight to them but for now maybe someone here could help me out.
    Cheers!

• LennartF
    LennartF Member Posts: 69 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Been trying to update to enterprise driver not clean install only express install but when its done ot still says 19.6.3 on driver version and for some reason the screen becomes darker also have u tried .witg the newest enterprise driver or only the version u mention before ?
  • SRB151
    SRB151 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options
    Ok, don't know if anyone else was having problems with freesync, but found something that happened to me.    Someplace along the way, windows and/or drivers switched my monitor to "Generic plug and  play" monitor"  Tried to edit this in CRU and it would not take. Kept telling me freesync disabled.  Went to device manager and manually selected "Digital Flat Panel 1920x1080" instead of "Generic plug n play".  Was then able to use cru to enter freesync info to profile and it is now working.
  • LennartF
    Options
    I have been running heaven and 3d mark on 19.6.3 and on the enterprise driver do get about same result on both drivers but on the enterprise driver the computer start some times with dark screen  works often after a restart but sometimes not.
    But that's also odd the windows login screen has normal brightness but the windows desktop when login becomes very dark and it doesn't help to try adjust the brightness either.. anyone else with that problem?

Otherwise thinking if I should stay on 19.6.3 if I get about the same results in benchmarks games and so semms working so I'm not really sure what advantage the enterprise driver would give as said can not see any difference in fps either in games 
  • SRB151
    Options
    Ok, I don't really have the time go back and figure out what actually happened, but with the latest driver, 20.5.1 and some additional playing around, I have everything working.  I suspect it has to do with Microsoft changing the  monitor drivers, but can't be sure unless I go back to the original drivers and start looking. Who knows when/if I'll get around to it.  An earlier post got me thinking about it.  Someone mentioned changing the screen profile in CRU of the Lenovo monitor.  I realized that at one time, my screen was listed as a Lenovo monitor in device manager.  Someplace along the way, it got changed to "generic plug and play" and poof, snow on restart from sleep and no freesync.  CRU worked for a while by adding freesync range to the generic plug and play (or as I call it, shrug and pray).  Finally, with the 20 series drivers, my screen went dark on boot.  A complete wipe and clean install fixed the dark screen, but I was back to a snowy screen on sleep and no freesync.  CRU no longer worked to change it.  Fast forward to last week.  Been home, so haven't used the Predator in a couple of months.  Went to update everything on it, and still no luck.  That's when I read the post mentioning the Lenovo monitor.  I went to device manager and looked for it.  I could not find the listing in my system files, so I looked around.  In the standard monitor types (uncheck the box for show compatible hardware)  I found "Digital Display Panel 1920x1080 60hz" in the list.  I selected this panel, rebooted, No freesync.  Set freesync range with the CRU utility, rebooted (one time had to reboot twice after windows install stock driver), and Freesync was back.   Then tried to put the system to sleep, and lo and behold, it worked normally.  For the first time since I bought this thing, the graphics and display work normally with the latest Radeon Adrenalin drivers.  

Hope this helps someone,  I still don't know why any of the programs would overwrite the monitor inf file...but good luck.
  • LennartF
    Options
    I have my monitor with lenovo drivers instead of generic
  • SRB151
    Options
    LennartF said:
    I have my monitor with lenovo drivers instead of generic
    Yeah, I know..like I said, that's what mine said at one point, but can no longer find the inf file on the system anymore.  The point was that the digital flat panel solved the problems if the Lenovo monitor driver was changed along the way.

• Khelgar
    Khelgar Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 2020
    Options
    So installing the newest Radeon software on Acer's drivers (17.12) disables the freesync of the laptop's monitor. However it works with any external monitors connected. Looks like i'll revert back and stay there.

Another funny thing is when you try to report issues to AMD, this laptop's components aren't even listed. Like it doesn't exist. Such a shameful treatment from both sides.

By the way has anybody noticed broken colors on external monitors with this machine? I just connected it to a new monitor via HDMI and everything has yellow tint on it (Only pure blacks are fine but it's VA panel anyway). Monitor's image color/rgb adjustment on its OSD is also somehow grayed out along with scaling option. Color adjustment through AMD software barely changed it, even at the coldest temperature there is yellowish tint. Also Tried with different drivers to no avail.
  • Bullfrog78
    Bullfrog78 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    IT'S FIXED!!!! IT'S FINALLY F√¢¥£@# FIXED!!!!! 

Waited for a second release with the issue gone, and it is FINALLY gone!!!!!!

............. Now if we can just get the freesync driver issue we'd FINALLY have a FULLY operational monster of a laptop. Just make sure to file a few error reports with the new system and they'll get it fixed. I hit them twice a day on the sleep issue until it went away. 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    Bullfrog78 finally some great news for the ryzen beast owners :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• whitebunnyflock
    whitebunnyflock Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited July 2020
    Options
    IT'S FIXED!!!! IT'S FINALLY F√¢¥£@# FIXED!!!!! 

Waited for a second release with the issue gone, and it is FINALLY gone!!!!!!

............. Now if we can just get the freesync driver issue we'd FINALLY have a FULLY operational monster of a laptop. Just make sure to file a few error reports with the new system and they'll get it fixed. I hit them twice a day on the sleep issue until it went away. 
    What part is fixed? I tried a month ago with all the above comments and still no Freesync no matter what I do. I am using the q2 enterprise drivers and they are working good
  • Khelgar
    Options
    What's the hype is about? There also seems to be a new PredatorSense of this month but doesn't seem to contain any new feature. I really wished to be able to turn all power LEDs off and set a custom fan curve depending on the temps.
  • otori0rao
    otori0rao Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    For the internal display not being recognized as Freesync capable is simple workaround (works on every gpu driver version):
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/759471
  • whitebunnyflock
    Options
    otori0rao said:
    For the internal display not being recognized as Freesync capable is simple workaround (works on every gpu driver version):
    I have never managed to get this to work unfortunately. I have tried more than once, also have used the cru reset
  • Khelgar
    Options
    otori0rao said:
    I have never managed to get this to work unfortunately. I have tried more than once, also have used the cru reset

Same here, did not work for me either.
  • SRB151
    Options
    otori0rao said:
    Hi, you've probably seen my earlier posts, but what is listed as your monitor in Device Manager?  The thing that fixed mine was switching from generic plug and play monitor to Digital Flat Panel 1920x1280 60hz and THEN  using CRU on that display entry as outlined in the post.  Took me a few reboots, but fixed both my sleep and freesync. 

• deksman2
    deksman2 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    OK... for some of you who have been experiencing an issue with static noise and no freesync on newest drivers... 
    There is a way to go around this and you don't need to first install original drivers from Acer's website... 
    I am running 20.7.1 driver version with Freesync enabled and no issues with static noise when waking up from sleep mode.

Some people may have reported that the latest drivers did fix the static noise at waking from sleep mode... but for others, this issue persisted.
    I you are experiencing the static noise when waking up from sleep mode, read through this post and use it as a guideline:

"Ok, I don't really have the time go back and figure out what actually happened, but with the latest driver, 20.5.1 and some additional playing around, I have everything working.

I suspect it has to do with Microsoft changing the monitor drivers, but can't be sure unless I go back to the original drivers and start looking. Who knows when/if I'll get around to it. An earlier post got me thinking about it. Someone mentioned changing the screen profile in CRU of the Lenovo monitor.

I realized that at one time, my screen was listed as a Lenovo monitor in device manager. Someplace along the way, it got changed to "generic plug and play" and poof, snow on restart from sleep and no freesync. CRU worked for a while by adding freesync range to the generic plug and play (or as I call it, shrug and pray).

Finally, with the 20 series drivers, my screen went dark on boot. A complete wipe and clean install fixed the dark screen, but I was back to a snowy screen on sleep and no freesync. CRU no longer worked to change it. Fast forward to last week. Been home, so haven't used the Predator in a couple of months. Went to update everything on it, and still no luck. That's when I read the post mentioning the Lenovo monitor.

I went to device manager and looked for it. I could not find the listing in my system files, so I looked around. In the standard monitor types (uncheck the box for show compatible hardware) I found "Digital Display Panel 1920x1080 60hz" in the list. I selected this panel, rebooted, No freesync.

Set freesync range with the CRU utility, rebooted (one time had to reboot twice after windows install stock driver), and Freesync was back. Then tried to put the system to sleep, and lo and behold, it worked normally. For the first time since I bought this thing, the graphics and display work normally with the latest Radeon Adrenalin drivers. " 

That's how I am able to run 20.7.1 drivers which have been clean-installed without static noise upon waking up from sleep mode and Freesync enabled.

Once you install the Digital Display Panel 1920x1080 60hZ for the display itself... you won't have to do this every time you install newest drivers from AMD.

The only downside is that my 20.7.1 drivers aren't detecting 20.7.2 drivers automatically and asking me to update... but its not a big deal - I usually prefer manually installing the drivers.

• whitebunnyflock
    edited July 2020
    Options
    SRB151 said:
    otori0rao said:
    Hi, you've probably seen my earlier posts, but what is listed as your monitor in Device Manager?  The thing that fixed mine was switching from generic plug and play monitor to Digital Flat Panel 1920x1280 60hz and THEN  using CRU on that display entry as outlined in the post.  Took me a few reboots, but fixed both my sleep and freesync. 

I tried that too, nothing makes cru work for me, appreciate the suggestion though. Not just cru but also freesync
  • Khelgar
    Options
    Weird thing is, Freesync with any external supported monitor works fine with any driver. Just not with the own screen of the laptop. As seen on the below pic even that CRU trick with "digital Panel 1920x1080 60hz" does not enable FS for me with newer drivers.

• deksman2
    deksman2 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Khelgar said:
    Weird thing is, Freesync with any external supported monitor works fine with any driver. Just not with the own screen of the laptop. As seen on the below pic even that CRU trick with "digital Panel 1920x1080 60hz" does not enable FS for me with newer drivers.

That's very odd.

Ok, I supplied you with the image on what to do under CRU.

What does it say in the main field next to 'Edit, Copy, Paste, Delete' buttons?
    For me, it says: AUO329D - Generic PnP Monitor (active)*.
    Under 'Extension blocks (2 blocks left - your number may differ)', click 'Add', then under 'Data Blocks' click 'add' again, select Freesync Range, and type in 60 to 144.
    Apply the settings, then RESTART Windows (you need to restart for the settings to take effect).

Also, for me, under 'Monitors' in Device Manager, it says: Generic PnP Monitor (originally I simply 'updated' that driver and looked for the needed digital panel).
    The Digital Panel change is to remove the static noise problem.
    Freesync is generally enabled via CRU utility.