Aspire ES1-523 stuck on BIOS

Answers

• hellobilly
    hellobilly Member Posts: 62 Troubleshooter
    edited February 2019
    JackE said:
    Your machine probably won't be fully-functional unless you install Win10 in UEFI mode with a GPT-partitioned USB stick. Jack E/NJ
    Well, I'll try to boot with UEFI.  (p.s I accidentally wrote Windows ;-;)
    I booted into UEFI and used the F12 method to install 10. The disk has the MBR illness. (I'm very funny) Should I install Linux in UEFI, then install Windows and hope that the disk became healthy again and be GPT or should I  delete the drive and add a new one?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Even if you didn't delete Ubuntu, the HDD won't be bootable in UEFI mode. Your Windows installation stick won't be bootable either if it's still MBR partitioned. Your installation stick must be GPT partitioned with the Win10 iso using Rufus or it won't boot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Install Windows first in UEFI mode. It's much easier to dual boot to Linux after you install Windows in UEFI mode first. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Install Windows first in UEFI mode. It's much easier to dual boot to Linux after you install Windows in UEFI mode first. Jack E/NJ

JackE said:
    Even if you didn't delete Ubuntu, the HDD won't be bootable in UEFI mode. Your Windows installation stick won't be bootable either if it's still MBR partitioned. Your installation stick must be GPT partitioned with the Win10 iso using Rufus or it won't boot. Jack E/NJ
     😂 I think we're confusing eachother again! Again, I made another mistake! I made the USB bootable with the media! 🤪 The drive is taken by Mint, so maybe that's why Windows cannot be installed?
  • JackE
    If you can boot from the Windows installation USB stick in UEFI mode, then just delete the partition to make room for Windows. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rebit
    rebit Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Use another computer to make a USB (that will be wiped) using the MCT. Set the UEFI options to Secure Boot and plug the ***** stick in and turn it on. Acer machines will always read a correctly formatted USB stick in preference to anything else.

If you really want to make sure there are no issues, remove then plug the drive into a USB-SATA cable and use diskpart to erase everything on it before starting.
  • hellobilly
    I would like to thank everyone for the support. My Acer is now running 10.
    Just some drivers and all will be done.
  • JackE
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ
    Stuck again. I think that the BIOS Utility is corrupted. I went back to the BIOS to put everything back to normal, but instead got stuck again. My other laptop has no OS so I decided to go to the store where I bought the laptop tomorrow.
  • JackE
    >>>I went back to the BIOS to put everything back to normal, >>>

What do you mean by normal? All that matters is that it was running Win10. Why did you fuss with the BIOS? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    edited March 2019
    JackE said:
    >>>I went back to the BIOS to put everything back to normal, >>>

What do you mean by normal? All that matters is that it was running Win10. Why did you fuss with the BIOS? Jack E/NJ
    Since I wanted to use a touchpad in Linux I changed the Touchpad Settings to basic. Well, the ELAN thing was a bit annoying, but the thing that mattered to me the most out of these two were the gestures.
  • JackE
    Changing the BIOS menu touchpad from Advanced to Basic doesn't explain this? What else did you change in the BIOS menu? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Albert1st1
    Albert1st1 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    edited March 2019
    Basic option for touchpad have been removed in latest bios on many laptops so there may not be any touchpad option anymore if he flashed to latest bios.
    Is that what @hellobilly is trying to say?
    Aspire ES1-523 hasn't any newly released bios updates and it's not affected by this change.

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Changing the BIOS menu touchpad from Advanced to Basic doesn't explain this? What else did you change in the BIOS menu? Jack E/NJ
    Nothing, nothing at all. I like to use three fingers and swipe left or right to switch apps. That's one reason I like advanced touchpads.
  • hellobilly
    Basic option for touchpad have been removed in latest bios on many laptops so there may not be any touchpad option anymore if he flashed to latest bios.
    Is that what @hellobilly is trying to say?
    Aspire ES1-523 hasn't any newly released bios updates and it's not affected by this change.

Well, kind of. I actually wouldn't risk flashing my BIOS, gosh, I'm a coward.
  • JackE
    edited March 2019
    Nothing wrong with being BIOS update.  :) Now, did you try to install Win10 in legacy mode again? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    edited March 2019
    JackE said:
    Nothing wrong with being BIOS update coward.  :) Now, did you try to install Win10 in legacy mode again? Jack E/NJ
    Well, my laptop is now for repairing at the place I bought it. I paid the extra euros when I bought it, so, it's free real estate! 😂

• JackE
    Hope you get your extra euros worth.   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    The local store where I bought the machine called me, and it's fixed. Thank god, because I was worried about them charging me more money to send the PC to Athens. They also want 30€ for software, well that's a lot! Of course, shy little awkward potato me didn't ask anything about the software, so that's very good! 
  • hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Got the computer back. Apparently, the 30€ thing was a Pick&Pay Bronze thing that installed apps on your computer like:
    • Opera
    • Firefox
    • Chrome
    • OpenOffice
    • WinRar (trial edition, whoa, unexcepted!)
    • PDFCreator
    • AVG
    • TeamViewer 14
    • Google Earth Pro

Also, they didn't install any drivers, so, that's sad.