Aspire ES1-523 stuck on BIOS

Answers

• hellobilly
    hellobilly Member Posts: 62 Troubleshooter
    edited February 2019
    JackE said:
    As I understand it, Mint is actually Ubuntu seasoned with dashes of Debian spices. :) What apps don't work? One of the best I found on the Mint forums is a user named Altair4. No nonsense, straight to the point. If the Mint forums can't get you apps to work,  I'm sure they can suggest alternatives that are at least as good or better. Jack E/NJ
    Well, some apps are not compatible with Linux Mint. (or .deb) I tried (at least) to use Wine (with PlayOnLinux), but I probably failed. :astonished:
    The app I tried to install is actually for a TV controller, (superior-electronics.com #notsponsored) but no luck. I'm not going to talk about Roblox, since it probably wouldn't work with Wine. Anyways, Mint is the best girl Linux OS. (personal option)
  • hellobilly
    I guess this topic became a Linux hangout spot, eh?
  • hellobilly
    JackE said:
    As I understand it, Mint is actually Ubuntu seasoned with dashes of Debian spices. :) What apps don't work? One of the best I found on the Mint forums is a user named Altair4. No nonsense, straight to the point. If the Mint forums can't get you apps to work,  I'm sure they can suggest alternatives that are at least as good or better. Jack E/NJ
    Well, some apps are not compatible with Linux Mint. (or .deb) I tried (at least) to use Wine (with PlayOnLinux), but I probably failed. :astonished:
    The app I tried to install is actually for a TV controller, (superior-electronics.com #notsponsored) but no luck. I'm not going to talk about Roblox, since it probably wouldn't work with Wine. Anyways, Mint is the best girl Linux OS. (personal option)
    Just a question, now that I have installed an OS that isn't corrupted, should I change the Boot Setting back to UEFI?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>causing the touchpad to not work-problem. >>>

Heh-heh. In case you haven't noticed, they often don't work too well in Win10 either. The secret is often a gentle touch, sometimes with moistened fingers, and waiting a few moments with fingers on the pad, before it wakes up and behaves itself particularly if you're also using a mouse. I gave up on touch a long time ago. Turn it off. Just give me a mouse and a keyboard and all is well. =)  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    NO! Don't change back to UEFI or you won't boot Linux anymore. If you installed Linux in Legacy mode, you must leave it in Legacy mode. If you want dual boot with Windows, you must re-install Linux in UEFI mode.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    >>>causing the touchpad to not work-problem. >>>

Heh-heh. In case you haven't noticed, they often don't work too well in Win10 either. The secret is often a gentle touch, sometimes with moistened fingers, and waiting a few moments with fingers on the pad, before it wakes up and behaves itself particularly if you're also using a mouse. I gave up on touch a long time ago. Turn it off. Just give me a mouse and a keyboard and all is well. =)  Jack E/NJ 
    When I got this laptop, I thought it would be fine to use a touchpad, but my parents' insisted that I buy a mouse. Using it daily since then. Gotta love parents!

👵👴
    Morden problems require morden solutions
  • hellobilly
    JackE said:
    NO! Don't change back to UEFI or you won't boot Linux anymore. If you installed Linux in Legacy mode, you must leave it in Legacy mode. If you want dual boot with Windows, you must re-install Linux in UEFI mode.  Jack E/NJ
    That's what I thought, to be honest. I doubt I'll be able to see Windows again due to the corruption etc. (without having to buy it, of course.)
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    I take that back. Once you converted it to legacy mode and the HDD to MBR partitioning, you're committed to Linux on an MBR disk. Jack E/NJ

PS: If it came with Windows pre-installed, the license is embedded on your mainboard so you won't have to buy it. Just load the generic installation version on a USB stick from the Microsoft site https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    I take that back. Once you converted it to legacy mode and the HDD to MBR partitioning, you're committed to Linux on an MBR disk. Jack E/NJ

PS: If it came with Windows pre-installed, the license is embedded on your mainboard so you won't have to buy it. Just load the generic installation version on a USB stick from the Microsoft site https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

Oh, yay. Please ignore my dance moves.

💃  
    Hop to the left!
    💃
    Hop to the right!
                💃   💃          
              💃    💃
    Windows Cross!
  • hellobilly
    JackE said:

Oh, yay. Please ignore my dance moves.

💃  
    Hop to the left!
    💃
    Hop to the right!
                💃   💃          
              💃    💃
    Windows Cross!
    I installed the media on my USB. Should I go back to UEFI, and somehow install Windows again or should I install Windows through Legacy?
    I don't know anything about computers, so I need help just to open a link, that's how dumb I am with computers. Actually, GPT is the newer version of MBR, that's what I understand.
  • JackE
    You can try legacy if you want to keep Linux as-is. But you'd have to create space for another Windows partition using parted or gparted before hand. If you don't prepare the disk properly, the Windows installation would probably try to wipe out Linux. My suggestion is to purchase another HDD to experiment with. Huge HDDs are incredibly cheap nowadays. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    You can try legacy if you want to keep Linux as-is. But you'd have to create space for another Windows partition using parted or gparted before hand. If you don't prepare the disk properly, the Windows installation would probably try to wipe out Linux. My suggestion is to purchase another HDD to experiment with. Huge HDDs are incredibly cheap nowadays. Jack E/NJ
    I actually want to go back to Windows because: apps. Most programmers create .exe files and it's quite hard to use Wine, even with PlayOnLinux.
    I also feel a little weird with Linux, because I used Windows as long as I can remember. Sometimes, yes, a change is good but I don't feel like Linux is the best operating system for me.

Wait, why am I typing this?
    Well, that means it's easier for me, right?
  • hellobilly
    JackE said:
    I actually want to go back to Windows because: apps. Most programmers create .exe files and it's quite hard to use Wine, even with PlayOnLinux.
    I also feel a little weird with Linux, because I used Windows as long as I can remember. Sometimes, yes, a change is good but I don't feel like Linux is the best operating system for me.

Wait, why am I typing this?
    Well, that means it's easier for me, right?
    All I gotta do is plug that media, and magically get Windows 10 again, right?
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    You have three choices.
    (1) You can create the Win10 USB installation stick via this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. UEFI mode is best but you can probably install in Legacy mode and possibly save the Linux, no guarantees.
    (2) You can purchase the original ACER-flavored Win10 USB stick with all the correct drivers from the US or Canadian ACER online store for about $50. This is the fastest and easiest way back.
    (3) You can save your Linux installation guaranteed by purchase another HDD and install Win10 on it.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    Sorry for the portrait mode, my phone's having a bad time lately. Should I delete the drive and add a new one? (The drive is the one I have installed Windows on)
  • JackE
    hellobilly>>>The drive is the one I have installed Windows on>>>

What do mean by Windows? You installed Linux on this drive. What installation method are you trying to use? Is the BIOS set to UEFI mode? Is the USB installation stick GPT partitioned? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    hellobilly>>>The drive is the one I have installed Windows on>>>

What do mean by Windows? You installed Linux on this drive. What installation method are you trying to use? Is the BIOS set to UEFI mode? Is the USB installation stick GPT partitioned? Jack E/NJ

Legacy Mode, GPT. Whoopsie daisies, I should make the USB MBR partitioned! 🌼 (I use Rufus)
  • JackE
    Your machine probably won't be fully-functional unless you install Win10 in UEFI mode with a GPT-partitioned USB stick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Your machine probably won't be fully-functional unless you install Win10 in UEFI mode with a GPT-partitioned USB stick. Jack E/NJ
    Well, I'll try to boot with UEFI.  (p.s I accidentally wrote Windows ;-;)
  • hellobilly
    No bootable device. Normal, since I deleted Ubuntu.