Aspire ES1-523 stuck on BIOS

Answers

• hellobilly
    hellobilly Member Posts: 62 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:
    >>>I feel like it's booting too fast, any ideas? >>>

Turn it off. Press and hold the F12 key. Turn it on while holding F12. If you still get the same screen, grub seems to now be default but can't handle the input. Did you try each USB port for the mouse dongle? Jack E/NJ
    GRUB is default, for sure, but it's too stupid to handle that "task". And yes, I did try every single USB port.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Got another mouse? Maybe a wired one? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Got another mouse? Maybe a wired one? Jack E/NJ
    Nope, I haven't got a wired mouse, actually, I never had one! =D
  • JackE
    How about an external USB keyboard? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    edited February 2019
    JackE said:
    How about an external USB keyboard? Jack E/NJ
    I had* one. Forgot I gave it to my dad!
  • JackE
    Not sure why grub isn't showing up in the boot sequence. A BIOS quirk? Maybe try to wake it up by re-arranging the boot order with the empty DVD and USB in the top spots.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Not sure why grub isn't showing up in the boot sequence. A BIOS quirk? Maybe try to wake it up by re-arranging the boot order with the empty DVD and USB in the top spots.  Jack E/NJ
    Something like this? Also, I have to go now. See you in a hour or so!   :3
  • hellobilly
    1234567890 (don't mind this pleaseeeeeeee)

• JackE
    edited February 2019
    Also try changing your touchpad from advanced to basic mode in the BIOS Main tab. Some distros don't like advanced touchpad mode set. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Also try changing your touchpad from advanced to basic mode in the BIOS Main tab. Some distros don't like advanced touchpad mode set. Jack E/NJ
    Tried it. Still Insyde BIOS.
  • hellobilly
    JackE said:
    I did some research about Linux distributions and Ubuntu seems to be fine with laptops. The only problem I had with my Acer laptop was the touchpad. I decidded not to mess with it because I might destroy the computer. I tried my second laptop that my dad was gifted (lenovo G40-30 #notsponsored) and the touchpad worked fine with Ubuntu. (I don't know if it has an advanced touchpad)
  • JackE
    JackE said:

???? Of course the BIOS is the same. What do you mean by this??? Did you change the touchpad setting from advanced to basic or not? You can't hurt anything by changing the BIOS setting. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    JackE said:

???? Of course the BIOS is the same. What do you mean by this??? Did you change the touchpad setting from advanced to basic or not? You can't hurt anything by changing the BIOS setting. Jack E/NJ
    I did. 😅
  • JackE
    Quit beating your head against the wall with the non-functioning keyboard, touchpad and mouse you have there with the funky grub bootloader. The only way I can navigate grub bootloader on my SA5 is with a plain vanilla Logitech M325 mouse. Touchpad arrow moves if I moisten my fingers but tap2select or 2enter only intermittently if I really bang away at it. Keyboard doesn't work at all. All these things work fine however once Ubuntu actually loads. Get the plugin keyboard back from your Dad. Try another mouse. Try another distro. I think you're already set up for a nice dual boot once you get past this quirky 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.1. And what's with the beta grub stuff anyway? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said: 
    Quit beating your head against the wall with the non-functioning keyboard, touchpad and mouse you have there with the funky grub bootloader. The only way I can navigate grub bootloader on my SA5 is with a plain vanilla Logitech M325 mouse. Touchpad arrow moves if I moisten my fingers but tap2select or 2enter only intermittently if I really bang away at it. Keyboard doesn't work at all. All these things work fine however once Ubuntu actually loads. Get the plugin keyboard back from your Dad. Try another mouse. Try another distro. I think you're already set up for a nice dual boot once you get past this quirky 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.1. And what's with the beta grub stuff anyway? Jack E/NJ

The beta stuff is from Google. It's not from my computer.
  • JackE
    Do you mean you're not getting a grub screen? I thought this was you screenshot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Do you mean you're not getting a grub screen? I thought this was you screenshot? Jack E/NJ
    Yeah, oh my gosh I'm so sorry for confusing you! My father threw away the keyboard :/ . The only keyboard I have is a bluetooth one.
  • JackE
    OK. Back to the beginning. So what do you mean by "System setup" if it's not this grub screen. What System setup screen are you referring to? Jack E/NJ

JackE said:
    >>>I booted in System Setup instead.>>>

What do you mean by this? How exactly to did boot into System Setup? Jack E/NJ
    In Ubuntu, (dualboot) after the choice to boot into Windows, is a BIOS Setup option. Hope you can understand ;) !

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    edited February 2019

One day, I booted into (through GRUB) Windows. Stupid me, except of booting into Windows, entered the System Setup menu instead. I shutter down the computer but it got stuck in the BIOS menu. After that, I was never able to boot in Ubuntu or Windows ever again.
  • JackE
    >>>entered the System Setup menu instead. >>>

What system setup menu?  What menu? A Windows menu? A ubuntu menu? A grub menu? A window boot manager menu?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ