Swift 3 won't turn on

Options

Answers

• DaveG888
    DaveG888 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    My 1 year old swift 3 won’t turn on!  Tried pin reset etc.  is this just a garbage pc?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

This thread is  nearly 3 years old. For better attention, please start your own new thread by clicking the ask a question button. Also state your full swift 3 model number. For example, SF314-22? There are dozens of swift models.

Jack E/NJ

• SJBrock
    SJBrock Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options
    JackE - sadly the change you had me do had no effect and now for the third day in a row, I have had to use the pinhole battery approach to start my computer.  Power button did nothing until then
  • JackE
    Options

Press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. What is the BIOS version number in the right pane?

Jack E/NJ

• SJBrock
    Options
    Hi JackE - unfortunately the unclicking start up fast didn't work and I had to start the computer again now for the 3 day in a row using the pinhole
  • SJBrock
    Options
    Oops - sorry for the repeat comment - my bios is Insyde Corp V1.21, 2021-01-18
  • SJBrock
    Options
    BIOS mode UEFI and SMBIOS 3.2 - not sure it that helps
  • SJBrock
    Options
    Should I start a new thread as you suggested to the other person?

• JackE
    Options
    Unusual. v1.21 is later than the v1.18 but has an earlier date.

Shut Windows down normally. Then turn it back on and immediately tap the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Check the version number there. Then press F9 to load BIOS defaults. Then press F10 to save defaults and exit. Windows should start normally.

If the problem persists, the best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is a full erase-everything ALT+F10 cold boot ACER OEM factory reset from the hidden ACER reset partition on the boot drive. If after the reset the problem is still there, then I suggest that you arrange for ACER warranty repair service as the Staples RMA period has expired.

Jack E/NJ

• SJBrock
    Options

Thanks - I have done what you suggested insofar as the BIOS.  As I noted in my original comment - I have already sent the computer to Acer under the warranty and they sent it back to me saying nothing was wrong - thus my frustration.  Before I had sent it to them I had done a factory reset so that none of my information or programs were in there.  Not sure if that is different from what you suggest in your second paragraph.  I shall see if it starts tomorrow morning.  And then try the reset although I guess I will have to put all my information on an external drive because everything will be lost?

• JackE
    Options

Do the ALT+F10 cold boot reset outside of the Windows environment. If it still doesn't resolve the problem, repeat one more time. Then, if still no joy, you probably got a lemon and off to warranty service again. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• SJBrock
    Options
    But should I definitely remove all my data?
  • SJBrock
    Options

Thanks - I have done what you suggested insofar as the BIOS.  As I noted in my original comment - I have already sent the computer to Acer under the warranty and they sent it back to me saying nothing was wrong - thus my frustration.  Before I had sent it to them I had done a factory reset so that none of my information or programs were in there.  Not sure if that is different from what you suggest in your second paragraph.  I shall see if it starts tomorrow morning.  And then try the reset - I assume I should make sure I have all my information backed up to something else as I guess I will lose everything.

• JackE
    Options
    >>>And then try the reset - I assume I should make sure I have all my information backed up to something else as I guess I will lose everything.>>>

Absolutely back up your personal files. Sorry there is no other way if the BIOS doesn't work. Yes, I fully understood that you already sent the system in for warranty service. But there's nothing more we can do here except tell you to send it in again if the factory reset points to a hardware failure. We're only users on these forums, not ACER employees or customer/warranty service reps.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    IIRC the update to 1.21 was the version pushed from Insyde via Windows Update, which can be confusing... It only updates the EFI portion of the BIOS, not the CMOS itself.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SJBrock
    Options
    Does the CMOS need updating too then?  I am just on with the warraty guys because the problem persists but I have yet to do the factoy reset which I did the first time - or at least returned it to factory default as you can through settings sop I don't know if that is the same.  likely I will have to send it in again.  Very frustrating 
  • JackE
    Options
    We've been thru this already. The firmware v1.21 is a later version number than the one listed on the ACER downloads but with an earlier date. That's unusual even for a new machine. As mentioned earlier, the best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is with a full erase everything ALT+F10 OEM factory reset.  I clearly understand your frustration. But if the cold boot reset still points to a hardware issue, there is little more us users can do to help you resolve the issue other than to use the warranty service again or perhaps plead with Staples to have their own service department take a look at it if they still have a service department --- they used to.

Jack E/NJ

• SJBrock
    Options
    Thanks Jack E - I am going to do the cold reboot now.  They are paying for it to go back to the service centre this time instead of me having to pay.  But quick question - how will a cold boot reset still point to a hardware issue?  I don't understand your terminology.  K - going for shut down now.
  • SJBrock
    Options
    K - I hope I did that right - it asked what kind of reset - whether to keep my personal stuff etc. or to wipe the drive completely and get rid of any updates etc. or apps or software I put in - so I did the latter.  It said it could take awhile.  How will I know the results?  Will it be that I can operate it without that problem or, and this is what I am wondering, once I add back all the things I need for work, that maybe that causes the problem?  For example, when I load in my older version of MS Office (2013) which is 32 bite not 64, I have to uninstall the one that comes with the computer first.  And then I have to go into HREG or whatever it is called to manually remove about four folders that for some reason the uninstall doesn't do (found that answer online when I had trouble installing my software) in order for the preview mechanism to work and for it to properly open various program files.  Is it possible that that action could cause problems?
  • JackE
    Options
    The ALT+F10 cold boot reset returns the ACER OEM Windows system and drivers software to a fresh out of the box state just as it came from the factory. Immediately after the ALT+F10 cold boot reset, make sure System Protection is enabled in Control Panel's restore point app. If the problem still happens and if System Protection shows no software updates were installed that could've caused the issue, then it's highly likely that the problem is hardware related rather than system or driver software.

Jack E/NJ