Windows 10 update 1809 breaks my acer switch 11v SW5-173

Options

Answers

• Silurian
    Silurian Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options
    Sha_Chan said:
    1809 assign to 1803 EFI gives me EFI error.  No HELP.
    I think BIOS startup is the last option for Switch 11v with 1809 when Acer does not fix BIOS.  I converted GPT to MBR but I could not make MBR disk as bootable via bootrec.exe tools.  This weekend process is done.

I also had no luck getting the 1803 EFI to work under 1809. It threw me errors no matter what I tried. I don't know what Microsoft did to the 1809 EFI boot process but it definitely broke the Switch 11V boot process.

The last thing I can think of is to totally replace the Windows Boot Manager with some other UEFI boot manager like Grub but from what I read that can cause a slew of other issues as well.

• Silurian
    Options
    Well, since I am on the fast track for Windows Insider, I am now on the 1903 version (updated today) of Windows 10. Sadly, the EFI boot issue still occurs with this version of Windows 10 as well. Seems like whatever Microsoft did with the 1809 EFI boot is continuing forward with the 1903 EFI boot process. It doesn't appear the Microsoft will revert or fix whatever is broken with the Switch 11V and the latest (and next) version of Windows 10 EFI boot process. I doubt this issue will ever be resolved unless by some miracle Acer decides to update the BIOS for the switch 11v to make it compatible with the new Windows 10 EFI boot process.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    Silurian>>>I am now on the 1903 version (updated today) of Windows 10. Sadly, the EFI boot issue still occurs with this version of Windows 10 as well. >>> I doubt this issue will ever be resolved>>>

Even if 1903 works, what makes you think the next major update release 19xx 6 mos later or the next one after that won't mess it up again? Welcome again to new & unimproved Windows10 lifecycle policy with rapid-fire heavy-handed major updates that are almost like entirely new versions of Windows under the old Microsoft naming convention. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Even newer machine's that came with 1803 factory-installed are having issues. Major Win10 updates have no guarantees of reasonable stability with any machines like that enjoyed with Win8x or Win7. No such assurances for Win10 much beyond the next major Win10 update which typically have maintenance support ending in only 12-18mos.

This new Microsoft lifecycle policy, if left unchanged with the next few months, might be the open window of opportunity for an alternative GUI to finally break the PC status quo. Accordingly, I've already dual booted my relatively new HP and ACER laptops to default LinuxMint GUI. They both now have essentially the same look, feel & operation of the last half-way decent Windows version, Win7 only faster. Win10 isn't even used on them any more. You might want to consider something like this too.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    Hi all,

I am very sorry to hear you're having problems with Windows updates (RS5), unfortunately this model has not been qualified for the RS5 update (1809) and will not be qualified for (due to the age of this model).

We have been in contact with Microsoft to have this update removed from Windows automatic updates. we suggest rolling back to the Previous Windows version 1803, if you are unable roll back to the previous version of Windows 1803 update, you may need to completely restore your operating system, then reapply Windows updates to version 1803 and delay/block from Windows updates until Microsoft removes this model from the list as requested.

Delay temporally Windows updates while this changes come in effect.  https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55275
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-delay-windows-10-april-2018-update-while-still-getting-updates

Sorry for any inconveniences this have cause,
    Acer-Manny
  • Silurian
    Options
    Hi all,

I am very sorry to hear you're having problems with Windows updates (RS5), unfortunately this model has not been qualified for the RS5 update (1809) and will not be qualified for (due to the age of this model).

Thanks for letting me know that my barely 3 year old Acer hybrid laptop is no longer supported by Acer. So how long is Acer going to actually support their products? One year? Most corporations have a 4 to 5 year cycle on their computers. It appears that Acer is willing to dump their products only after a year or two. Is that what you are stating?

I have laptops and desktops (some are other Acer models) older than the Switch 11v that are running Windows 10 1809 just fine without any issues. It is easy to just state, oh the model is too old for support or qualification. What a joke.
  • Silurian
    Options
    Leaving Manny's (Acer's) ridiculous statement aside, I just wanted to state that after trying both 1809 and 1903 versions of Windows 10 that the 1803 version of Windows 10 is actually far more stable and faster than the two newer versions on the Switch 11v. At this point, I also recommend running 1803 version of Windows 10 on the Acer Switch 11v as your daily driver. I don't see any advantage feature-wise at this time to upgrade past it anyway. The only issue in the future is that 1803 will also be out of support from Microsoft but by that time in a year or two, I will probably be using a different laptop/tablet. I was looking at the Acer Switch series but given Manny's apparent acknowledgment about Acer not supporting laptops past two years gives me pause.

• JackE
    Options
    Manny might only be referring to the 1809 version. The rapid fire release of major updates --- stabilities of which seem only slightly better than insiders --- seems to make it unrealistic to expect new drivers every 6 mos or so. As stated earlier, Win10 is quite unlike earlier Windows versions in that each new major Win10 update released is quite comparable to a new Windows version. Issues some machines are having with 1809 may be --- or may NOT be --- fixed with future updates.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• goSammy
    goSammy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    And my conclusion is to write Acer big on my "Never buy again" list and in future better get cheap discounter or noname devices with same usable timerange
  • Sha_Chan
    Sha_Chan Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    Switch 11v is first product I bought from Acer.  This machine did not detect keyboard at 24 hours later when I opened it from box.  Then, I got RMA number to replace a motherboard.  Then, Video card had a problem at 11 months later.  I got second RMA number to replace a motherboard again.  Then, Windows 10 1809 problem comes up.  I have Lenovo Z40 and IBM ThinkPad X60 that both machines works fine with Windows 10 1809.   My conclusion also is to write Acer as "Never BUY again" list.
  • VellaFont
    VellaFont Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi guys!!

I had the same problem, my Switch was blocked at Windows startup and I tried to enter the bios (F2) and change the boot mode to Legacy. Evidently after this, the tablet didn't boot. So I went back to the BIOS and configured it in UEFI again and... the tablet starts Windows in version 1809.

Try and see if it works for you!
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Hope others with 1809 blocked will  try to confirm this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BorisZX6R
    BorisZX6R Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options
    VellaFont said:
    Hi guys!!

I had the same problem, my Switch was blocked at Windows startup and I tried to enter the bios (F2) and change the boot mode to Legacy. Evidently after this, the tablet didn't boot. So I went back to the BIOS and configured it in UEFI again and... the tablet starts Windows in version 1809.

Try and see if it works for you!
    Hi,

your post does not really explain what or if anything was actually done to fix the problem. Just switching boot mode to legacy and then back to UEFI will not result in a fix for this issue.
    Have you shut down completely and performed a cold boot? That is when the problem is apparent. Once you manage to boot up you can restart as much as you want and the problem should not become apparent, it is only when you shut down completely (not sleep or hybernate) that the Boot sequence runs into a problem and freezes.

As you can see from previous posts the problem is bypassed by booting into UEFI and just exiting from it.
    Also as mentioned by someone you could install a boot manager and have it by default use windows as the boot OS.

Regards,
    BorisZX6R
  • Sha_Chan
    Sha_Chan Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    I run CPUZ tools that shows Brand of BIOS is Insyde Corp.  Acer did not make BIOS for Switch 11V.   
  • Cmsuk
    Cmsuk Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Acer are going to lose customers This is an acer Problem on a £500.00 Machine, workaround for me is upgrade bios to 1.9,install https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005
    Unit is more stable and occasionally starts up without having to enter the bios and exit saving changes (when you have not made any)
  • Cmsuk
    Options

Customers Unit with Melted keyboard after being closed while Screen in "Repair mode" 
  • JackE
    Options
    What does 'Screen in "repair mode" mean? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cmsuk
    Options
    JackE said:
    What does 'Screen in "repair mode" mean? Jack E/NJ
    The  issue is the unit goes into preparing automatic repair and then freezes, on startup or just freezes on power on and you can workaround this using the above procedure.
    Is this problem not  TPM not supported ? windows 1809 requires sha2 ? is the tpm in bois sha1? 
  • JackE
    Options
    A full ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset should be tried as a clean base Win10 starting point. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BorisZX6R
    BorisZX6R Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options
    JackE said:
    A full ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset should be tried as a clean base Win10 starting point. Jack E/NJ

Tried it.
    My first post mentions it.
    "I have tried resetting the system and completely erasing everything but the issue remains."

• JackE
    Options

Yes, I was referring it to some of the others who crashed your thread later. The next major update should be released fairly soon. Hopefully it'll have some fixes for machines that 1809 doesn't seem to play nice with. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ