12346»

Answers

• RGWPMI
    RGWPMI Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Silurian said:
    I have an update on this issue.

I have updated Windows 10 Home to version 1903 with the 2019-09 Cumulative Update and the issue of not starting from cold boot appears to be resolved. My current Win 10 OS build is 18362.387.

I performed a restart from Sleep, from Hibernate and from Shut Down. They all were able to boot back into Windows 10 without having to perform any additional BIOS actions.

One note: The power up from Cold Boot takes an additional 20 to 25 seconds and the spinning circle does get stuck during this additional time.

Also one additional point, make sure you update the Intel SATA AHCI controller driver to version 14.8.16.1063. You can get this driver from the Intel web site.

Hi community,
    this is my first post, although I have been following the topic since quite a long time. When I first tried to update my Acer Aspire Switch-11v-sw5-173 from Windows 10 1803 (directly) to 1903, it resulted in start problems, freezing apps and bluescreens. I went back to 1803, contacted MS and Acer and got the same replies as everybody here, therefore almost accepting that I would have to give up. Your post, Silurian, is giving my new hope, but...

Before risking a new update, I would like to get a few things clear, with your help, please.
    1) Is your PC still running stable now, with no problems on start up, no freezing or bluescreens? As good as with 1803?
    2) I am not sure, which "2019-09 Cumulative Update" is meant, therefore I enclose a screenshot of the updates realized on my PC (sorry, my Windows in in German).

3) I am not sure about the 
    SATA AHCI controller driver. I enclose a screenshot of the properties of the driver used on my system. Via Windows Update, no newer driver was found. On the Intel website, I couldn't find the driver at all. Intel's "Driver & Support Assistant" app isn't giving any result either.

Can you help me, please?

Thank you very much in advance!
    BR,
  • Silurian
    Silurian Member Posts: 20 Networker
    edited November 2019
    Options
    RGWPMI said:

Before risking a new update, I would like to get a few things clear, with your help, please.
    1) Is your PC still running stable now, with no problems on start up, no freezing or bluescreens? As good as with 1803?
    2) I am not sure, which "2019-09 Cumulative Update" is meant, therefore I enclose a screenshot of the updates realized on my PC (sorry, my Windows in in German).

3) I am not sure about the SATA AHCI controller driver. I enclose a screenshot of the properties of the driver used on my system. Via Windows Update, no newer driver was found. On the Intel website, I couldn't find the driver at all. Intel's "Driver & Support Assistant" app isn't giving any result either.

Can you help me, please?

Thank you very much in advance!
    BR, Rudi
    1) Yes, my Switch 11v is running as normal. No problems on startup, no freezing and no bluescreens. I use it everyday with no major issues. The only issue I have is with the Mail application force closing sometimes but I have that on every version so I blame the Mail app not Windows 10.

2) You will need to first update to the 1903 version of Windows 10. Then after the update to 1903, then you will need to install the latest Cumulative update (at least the 2019-09 version). This should be an automatic update by Microsoft but you might be able to manual force this update. In your screen shot, you have the Cumulative updates for 2019-09 and 2019-10 but they are for the 1803 version of windows. These will not carry forward when you update to 1903 so they will need to be reapplied.

3) Before updating to 1903, make sure your Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver is at 14.8.16.1063. You can search the web for this exact phrasing.

Here is the link but I am not sure if this will work in this forum. Use the SetupRST executable.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

Hope this helps.

Sidenote: Newer versions of the 
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver (15. and above) will not work with the Acer Switch 11v as they don't support the older storage hardware.
  • Sha_Chan
    Sha_Chan Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    I just upgraded Windows 10 HOME from 1903 to 1909 on Acer Switch 11v.  This upgrade is very smooth and works fine.
    Of course, cold boot works fine as well.  
  • RGWPMI
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi Sha_Chan, hi Forum,
    thank you for your assitance in this matter. After the bad experience with my first try of updating from 1803 to 1903 in July, I now screw up my courage for a new try and ... bingo!
    Everything went fine, like predicted by Sha_Chan. The only difference to the procedure he described, was that I stayed with my standard Microsoft SATA AHCI-Controller driver and did not update to the one of Intel, but this had no influence, as it seems so far.
    The next step will be to update from 1903 to 1909, but it is not yet offered  in my Windows Update section, which is ok for me, since I can wait and prefer, anyway, to go on checking the functionality of 1903 during the 10-days-period, where I theoretically would have the chance to go back easily to 1803.
    Lucky regards

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• RGWPMI
    edited November 2019
    Options
    RGWPMI said:
    Hi Sha_Chan, hi Forum,
    <...>

Hi Silurian, sorry for having droppped your name in my salutation... 
  • RGWPMI
    edited November 2019
    Options

Actualization:
    The only misbehaviour of 1903, so far, is that the built-in card reader keeps activating and deactivating the SD card permanently. Do others see this as well?

• Silurian
    Options
    RGWPMI said:
    Hi Sha_Chan, hi Forum,
    thank you for your assitance in this matter. After the bad experience with my first try of updating from 1803 to 1903 in July, I now screw up my courage for a new try and ... bingo!
    Everything went fine, like predicted by Sha_Chan. The only difference to the procedure he described, was that I stayed with my standard Microsoft SATA AHCI-Controller driver and did not update to the one of Intel, but this had no influence, as it seems so far.
    The next step will be to update from 1903 to 1909, but it is not yet offered  in my Windows Update section, which is ok for me, since I can wait and prefer, anyway, to go on checking the functionality of 1903 during the 10-days-period, where I theoretically would have the chance to go back easily to 1803.
    Lucky regards

I am glad to hear that the update to 1903 is working for you. The reason for the Intel SATA driver update is that Intel has implemented some performance and stability fixes for Windows 10 in the latest version. If you experience problems like force closing, freezing up or others, you might want to consider this driver update.

As far as the SD card, I don't use it much but I never had any issue with it.

• omarr
    omarr Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    RGWPMI said:

Actualization:
    The only misbehaviour of 1903, so far, is that the built-in card reader keeps activating and deactivating the SD card permanently. Do others see this as well?

Hi RGWPMI, I used to have this problem way back when I was still on 1803 (or older) I believe.  Downloading and installing the official card reader for the 11v on Acer's site fixed the issue for me.
  • omarr
    omarr Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Sha_Chan said:
    I just upgraded Windows 10 HOME from 1903 to 1909 on Acer Switch 11v.  This upgrade is very smooth and works fine.
    Same here, Sha_Chan.  1909 working well so far.
  • RGWPMI
    Options
    omarr said:
    RGWPMI said:

Actualization:

Hi RGWPMI, I used to have this problem way back when I was still on 1803 (or older) I believe.  Downloading and installing the official card reader for the 11v on Acer's site fixed the issue for me.

Hi Omarr, thank you for the hint. I would like to try this out, but it seems, I fail in updating the driver :-( . Here is what I did: on the Acer website, I found the Realtek driver version 10.0.10586.31225 as zip archive, which I downloaded. I unzipped it and read the included readme.txt, which says:
    "<...>
    --------------------------------------
    Setup Driver at first time:
    ---------------------------------------
    Step 1. Run the setup.exe program to start the installation.
    Step 2. At the end of the procedure, press [Finish] to complete the installation.
    Update Driver:
    Step 1. Run setup.exe, it will remove the original driver in your system and then install new driver.
    Step 2. At the end of the procedure, press [Finish] to complete the installation.
    <...>"

After I did so - and restarted the computer - nothing had changed. My card reader driver is still indicated like this:

What am I doing wrong???
    Best regards, feeling awkward...
  • BorisZX6R
    BorisZX6R Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options
    RGWPMI said:
    omarr said:
    RGWPMI said:

Actualization:

Hi Omarr, thank you for the hint. I would like to try this out, but it seems, I fail in updating the driver :-( . Here is what I did: on the Acer website, I found the Realtek driver version 10.0.10586.31225 as zip archive, which I downloaded. I unzipped it and read the included readme.txt, which says:
    "<...>
    --------------------------------------
    Setup Driver at first time:
    Step 1. Run the setup.exe program to start the installation.
    Update Driver:
    Step 1. Run setup.exe, it will remove the original driver in your system and then install new driver.
    <...>"

After I did so - and restarted the computer - nothing had changed. My card reader driver is still indicated like this:

What am I doing wrong???
    Best regards, feeling awkward...
    Hi RGWPMI,

I am using the official driver and mine looks like this now.

Please use the driver from here.
    expand the Driver section
    and download the Card Reader Driver

Assuming you are running windows 10 64-bit
    here is the direct link for the driver

Good luck.

BorisZX6R
  • RGWPMI
    Options
    BorisZX6R said:
    <...>
    Hi RGWPMI,

Good luck.

BorisZX6R
    Hi BorisZX6R,

thank you for your assistance. The link you sent me is exactly the driver which I already downloaded. But it seems I am too stupid to install it. When I follow the instructions of the included readme.txt, nothing seems to change in my system, it still shows the old driver from Microsoft (please refer to the illustration in my previous post). What am I doing wrong? Can you give me a step-by-step instruction, please?
    Best regards
  • BorisZX6R
    BorisZX6R Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options
    RGWPMI said:
    BorisZX6R said:
    <...>
    Hi RGWPMI,

Good luck.

BorisZX6R
    Hi BorisZX6R,

thank you for your assistance. The link you sent me is exactly the driver which I already downloaded. But it seems I am too stupid to install it. When I follow the instructions of the included readme.txt, nothing seems to change in my system, it still shows the old driver from Microsoft (please refer to the illustration in my previous post). What am I doing wrong? Can you give me a step-by-step instruction, please?
    Best regards
    There really isn't much to it. Just make sure you unzip the file you downloaded before running the setup.exe file...
    I see you are running German language. If you are in Germany, unless there is a hardware difference between the units I don't understand why there is a difference in driver version.
    You can try to uninstall the device then reinstall the proper driver, see if that works...

Regards,
    BorisZX6R
  • Silurian
    Options
    omarr said:
    Sha_Chan said:
    Same here, Sha_Chan.  1909 working well so far.
    I can also confirm that 1909 works just fine. Not really a surprise as 1909 is pretty much 1903 with a few small features turned on. It was more of a cumulative update than a full blown new release. The core operating system is pretty much the same between the two versions.

The true test will be the next Windows 10 release next year (version 2004) as it will be more feature changing and have operating system changes. Now it will get confusing with 2004 as people will probably think of year 2004 and not of release 2004.

Even if Windows 10 2004 breaks the Acer Switch 11v again, the version 1909 End-of-Service date is in May 2022 which gives us almost another 3 years of support on Windows 10 1909. Works for me.