Windows 10 update 1809 breaks my acer switch 11v SW5-173

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    RmcgPhoto
    Try an ALT+F10 cold boot refresh while saving your personal files as shown in the video below. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• BorisZX6R
    BorisZX6R Member Posts: 20 Networker
    RmcgPhoto said:
    I have the exact same problem as BorisZX6R. Updated to 1809 and boot stops after "Acer explore beyond limits message" and dot circle does partial rotation, then freezes. If I keep trying, I get message "Preparing Automatic Repair", which also freezes. Since this first happened, it actually did boot successfully once - just long enough to recover my data - and now it no longer boots again.

If anyone can suggest a work around so I can boot and roll back to pre 1809 I'd be grateful.
    My first post actually talks about how to boot up to windows. You can just enter the UEFI Bios and exit without making any changes. Afterwards it will boot up fine.
    In order to get to UEFI Bios you need to be powered off, press and hold the volume up button and while holding press and hold the power button until it lights up blue, then release the power button. Once the screen starts powering up you can release the volume up button as well. This works for me every time, but it is a pain to have to do that every time. Also even if you boot up fine, 10-20 minutes later you might see a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION blue screen and the system will just restart on its own.
    I have wiped all partitions and installed a fresh copy of windows 10 1803, and have since not updated to 1809 again... There are other issues out there with windows 10 1809, a simple google search reveals plenty...

Hopefully Silurian can report back on his findings regarding the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller driver and if this actually works or not.

Regards,
    BorisZX6R
  • BorisZX6R
    JackE said:
    RmcgPhoto
    Try an ALT+F10 cold boot refresh while saving your personal files as shown in the video below. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

If a fresh install of the windows 1809 (which I have mentioned before and performed multiple times) does not help then this will not help either.

Regards,
    BorisZX6R
  • JackE
    An Acer factory-reset is NOT the 1809 version of Win10. It is the original Win10 version available at the time of manufacture. Accordingly, if a factory-fresh ALT+F10 cold boot ACER install does NOT solve the problem, then there likely is a hardware issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BorisZX6R
    edited February 2019
    JackE said:
    An Acer factory-reset is NOT the 1809 version of Win10. It is the original Win10 version available at the time of manufacture. Accordingly, if a factory-fresh ALT+F10 cold boot ACER install does NOT solve the problem, then there likely is a hardware issue. Jack E/NJ
    There is no factory partition on this unit. Unless you created a recovery image you are out of luck. I do have an recovery image and that is how I figured the problem was related to the 1809 update.
  • JackE
    BorisZX6R How do you know RmcgPhoto 's SW5-173 doesn't have a hidden ACER recovery partition? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BorisZX6R
    JackE said:
    BorisZX6R How do you know RmcgPhoto 's SW5-173 doesn't have a hidden ACER recovery partition? Jack E/NJ
    If it is the same as mine and mine did not have a recovery partition isn't it safe to assume his has no recovery partition either?!
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    No. Most regions sell machines that include both an operating system and a recovery partition. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BorisZX6R
    JackE said:
    No. Most regions sell machines that include both an operating system and a recovery partition. Jack E/NJ
    Even if that is the case, which it was not on my unit, the problem with windows 10 update 1809 still persists. Even if the system is reverted to factory state, or a fresh install of windows 10 1803 is performed you will eventually receive an update to 1809 (which it seems you cannot opt out of, I tried just about anything) which will introduce the boot issue again.

• JackE
    edited February 2019
    Yes, of course, 1809 is the problem. Not the hardware. The purpose of the ALT+F10 reset is to prove that it is NOT a hardware issue. You can certainly block 1809 from being installed again until the next major Win10 update is released in a few months and fixes the issue. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• RmcgPhoto
    RmcgPhoto Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks all for your suggestions. Thanks especially BorisZX6R for clarifying the process for UEFI boot.

I did manage to boot the Acer last night without that process and discovered that unfortunately it was not set to create restore points and there doesn't seem to be a factory recovery partition.

I installed the Intel driver mentioned in one of the posts above, but it did not seem to help. It's freezing again.

If the UEFI boot trick works, i can at least use the computer until i return to North America in five weeks and can seek a more permanent solution.

Thanks all.

• JackE
    edited February 2019
    RmcgPhoto>>> there doesn't seem to be a factory recovery partition.>>>

Did you try the ALT+F10 cold boot method? There should be a hidden ACER recovery partition unless a generic Win10 version was installed after you acquired the machine. The ALT+F10 keys must be applied before the ACER splash screen appears or it's too late. You may also have to disable fast startup to slow the Windows boot process down enough for the ALT+F10 keys to work   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• goSammy
    goSammy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    Try to get into BIOS by pressing F2 after switching it on. In bios just Exit and boot the system.

The system is more stable when full charged and on power line

• Silurian
    Silurian Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Installing the Intel IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller driver fixed my random lock ups and the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION errors. The laptop has become more stable using this driver but still does not resolve the cold boot/power on of the hanging spinning circle. You will still need to do the F2/BIOS method in order to get into Windows from a cold boot.

I was messing around with the EFI partition (removing it and recreating it) to see if that was the issue. But this made no difference to the hang on cold boot.

Then I read somewhere that the next major release (18290) of Windows fixes this issue. So I downloaded and updated to Insider Preview to see if this would resolve the issue and it did not.

I believe there is some issue between the Acer BIOS on the Switch 11v and the UEFI boot mode of the 1809 release of Windows 10.
  • BorisZX6R
    Silurian said:
    Installing the Intel IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller driver fixed my random lock ups and the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION errors. The laptop has become more stable using this driver but still does not resolve the cold boot/power on of the hanging spinning circle. You will still need to do the F2/BIOS method in order to get into Windows from a cold boot.

I was messing around with the EFI partition (removing it and recreating it) to see if that was the issue. But this made no difference to the hang on cold boot.

Then I read somewhere that the next major release (18290) of Windows fixes this issue. So I downloaded and updated to Insider Preview to see if this would resolve the issue and it did not.

I believe there is some issue between the Acer BIOS on the Switch 11v and the UEFI boot mode of the 1809 release of Windows 10.
    So Acer needs to step up and fix this thing.
    Well I guess this is the end of life for this product.
    Maybe install Linux on it?
  • Silurian
    Found another "workaround" for Win 10 1809. If you install both Win 10 1809 and 1803 in a dual boot environment, you can set 1803 as the default Windows boot but when the dual boot selection screen comes up, you can pick 1809 and it will boot from a cold start.

I tested this by creating a 30 Gig partition and then installing Win 10 1803 on it. After that, when the laptop boots, it will ask which Windows 10 environment to run. You can pick the 1809 partition and it will boot. You will need to leave 1803 as the default because if you choose 1809 as the default, it will hang under a cold boot even before being able to pick which version of Win 10 to boot. It is a pain to manually choose 1809 each time on cold reboot but it does work.

I still believe there is some issue in the 1809 EFI boot that was not there in the 1803 EFI boot as is evident in this dual boot environment as it hangs under a default of 1809 before even being able to choose which version of Win 10 to run.

Now I wonder if one can install the 1803 EFI software under a 1809 environment but I am not sure how to do so.

Still investigating...
  • Sha_Chan
    Sha_Chan Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I made a success to assgin 1803 EFI at Windows 10 1809 of my test machine.  Window 10 1809 starts up correctly with 1803 EFI.  I'll try to do same step into Switch 11v with 1809 at this long weekend.  I hope Boot problem goes away.
  • Silurian
    BorisZX6R said:

So Acer needs to step up and fix this thing.
    Well I guess this is the end of life for this product.
    Maybe install Linux on it?

Another choice of OS is Chrome OS. You can make the switch 11V a Chromebook by using Cloudready from Neverware. I have tried it with a USB boot stick and it works fairly well. It is fast too. The touch screen works. If you do decide to go the Cloudready/Chrome OS direction, it does completely wipe your hard drive so there is no reverting easily back to Win 10.

I must say I was impressed with Cloudready on the switch 11V. If Win 10 continues in this direction of being non-compatible with the Switch 11V, I will probably go with Cloudready/Chrome OS.
  • Sha_Chan

Tinkerer

1809 assign to 1803 EFI gives me EFI error.  No HELP.
    I think BIOS startup is the last option for Switch 11v with 1809 when Acer does not fix BIOS.  I converted GPT to MBR but I could not make MBR disk as bootable via bootrec.exe tools.  This weekend process is done.

• Sha_Chan

Tinkerer

I converted GPT EFI to MBR BIOS via Macrium Reflect.   Then, I upgraded Windows 10 from 1803 to 1809.  The cold boot problem is still there.  I do believe this is exactly BIOS problem.  This machine's life is OVER.