Aspire R keeps shutting off

Carston1998
Carston1998 Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My Aspire R developed issues with randomly shutting down, and now it just shuts off almost immediately after I switch it on. I tried resetting the battery, as well as unplugging the battery and trying just the adapter. One of the fans was clogged with lint. What do you suggest?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,841 Trailblazer
    If you turn it on but don't use, touch or otherwise disturb the machine machine, does it still shut off? If no, then the battery reset switch or a mainboard safety interlock switch may be inadvertently activated by a misaligned cover when physically moved. Here are some links to solutions posted by others using tape and spacers to fix this situation on similar laptops. Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

No, it still shuts off immediately whether or not anyone is touching it.
  • JackE
    Does it even get to the ACER logo screen with the battery disconnected and charger plugged in? If no, there likely is a short or leakage to ground that is overloading the charger. If you haven't had to open the laptop before this started to happen, I'd guess the HDD has failed.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

It could indeed be the hard drive - a week before, I received a No Boot Device message and I used an external drive to boot up and fix the drive.
  • JackE
    Please remove the HDD so as not to risk further overloading its mainboard power circuit.  It's much safer to try to salvage its data files externally.  If you didn't make a backup or image to put on a new SSD or HDD, you can either re-install Win10 from the generic version for free https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 or the ACER-specific version for about $46 https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

edited December 2018
    The computer still shuts down even with no battery or hard drive connected. I tried a spare hard drive and got the same result. But I was able to salvage the Acer’s data files elsewhere.
  • JackE
    Well, sounds like a huge current leak somewhere other than the HDD. Check the laptop's charger input jack. Peer inside with a flashlight to make sure the middle pin is straight and not bent. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

The jack looks fine.
  • JackE
    Had the laptop been partially disassembled for any reason before these shutdowns started happening?  Or did they just start happening suddenly for no apparent reason? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

Three weeks before that, I repacked the adapter with one from Acer, as the old one’s tip had broken after being bent while plugged in. The laptop had never been disassembled. The first hint of any trouble was when it briefly couldn’t detect the HDD.
  • JackE
    >>>The jack looks fine. >>>I repacked the adapter with one from Acer, as the old one’s tip had broken after being bent while plugged in.>>>

I assume you meant 'replaced' instead of 'repacked' and 'plug' instead of 'tip'.
    (1) What is your full model number?
    (2) Do you have a multimeter to measure voltages?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

Thanks for spotting the error. The model number is R5-571TG-78G8. I have access to a multimeter.
  • JackE
    The image below should look like the battery connector to the mainboard. You're looking to measure nearly 16 volts between a pair of wires. I'd try to two end wires first --- red and black.  You should insert thin wires or needles into the connector to assist in making contact with the multimeter leads. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

14.5 volts between the wires, and the adapter is putting out just under 18 volts.
  • JackE
    If your multimeter is accurate, the 15+ volt battery is almost fully discharged. The charger itself should be 19+ volts unless otherwise stated on its label. With the HDD still disconnected, and the machine still off, does the charge indicator light come on when plugged in? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

No, the charge light only comes on when the battery is connected.
  • JackE
    Yeah, that's what I mean. When the battery is connected AND the charger plugged in BUT HDD disconnected, the charge light should be lit orange or yellow. Is that what you're seeing? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

edited December 2018
    Yes, the light glows orange with the drive disconnected.
  • JackE
    Orange means it's charging. So keep charging it without the HDD. To see if it'll eventually turn blue perhaps overnight if the charger is not up to snuff. Which'll mean its fully charged. Then re-install the HDD, plug it back in, and see if it'll stay on with a fully charged battery. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

I charged it up with the drive disconnected, and it took about an hour, and reconnected the drive, but the laptop still shuts off almost immediately on startup.