Aspire R keeps shutting off

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,841 Trailblazer
    Well, one last shot. Remove the back cover, battery and HDD. Re-seat the J6401 and J6404 ribbon cable connectors on the mainboard a half dozen or so times to try to clean the contacts. As long as you're in their, might as well re-seat any other connectors the same way. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998
    Carston1998 Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

I couldn’t figure out how to disconnect those two ribbon cables. Unlike the HDD cable, there’s no obvious connector to pry up, and I didn’t want to force them.
  • JackE
    Small ribbons usually don't have a finish connector on the end contacts. The ribbon ends slip into the mainboard connector and a slider--probably white color--- on this mainboard connector then presses against the ribbon contacts to hold them in there. You might have to use tweezer to push the slider away from the ribbon to release the ribbon or get it loose enough so you can slip it in and out. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

Thanks. I tried that and still no luck getting the computer to stay on.
  • JackE
    Just thought of another possibility. Remove the memory modules. Then see if it'll stay on without the HDD installed on the battery alone. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

That didn’t work either, although it stayed on for another two or three seconds.
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    Other than J6401 and J6404, what else can you remove or disconnect, one by one, to see if it'll stay on? So far, the memory modules and HDD are out. How about starting with the keyboard backlight connector? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

I took the laptop to a local tech and was told that the problem is the motherboard. Acer’s own repair service said they would charge $500 for the repair.
  • JackE
    Sorry. A major repair seems priced about the same as a refurb. You might ask your local tech if he'd tried a solder reflow since there's nothing to lose at this point. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Carston1998

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Before I decide which route to take, could the replacement power adapter have fried the motherboard? Its specs are exactly the same as the original. I noticed that the only replacement motherboards I can purchase are used ones on eBay. 
  • JackE
    Unlikely. Especially if its plug output measures ~20 volts DC with a multimeter.

You might have better luck searching by mainboard part numbers as shown below. There are four. Two for an i5 with and without discrete graphics. And two for the  i7. But before I'd plunk money down for another mainboard, I'd try the solder reflow as there's  nothing to lose if your tech's diagnosis is correct. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ