Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Speedshift in Throttlestop and some questions on undervolting

SkreeSkree Posts: 97Member Fixer
Hello all.

I am picking my way around throttlestop and general undervolting, and have a couple of questions that baffle me a while.

When i just bought the computer i ran Mass Effect Andromeda while overclockingwith predator sense, it reached 88 degrees. After a while i undervolted, made sometests with the computer ,etcetera, now if i play andromeda with NO UNDERVOLTING my temperatures are around 92, 94 degrees. Nothing else changed, i also formatted my computer.  After the first undervolt the temps seemed to rise a bit. How is this possible? can it be simply because when i first tested the computer it was still technically "winter"? or should i be worried about something?

Second question: would you suggest i use SPeedshift with 128/64 settings? does it hurt performance in real life usage? i did notice somewhat lower framerates during benchmark.

Now about exact undervolting. My computer seems stable at -150mv, but once in a while (days) i do experience a crash and reboot. The CPU does not power throttle.

RIght now i am using speedshift and undervolting at -125, and it all seems stable, with temps i would define good (low 80).

Any general suggestions about throttlestop settings? Or am i good as i am?

But, above all, what baffles me is the change in temperatures when no undervolting is done. How can that change from 88 degrees overclocked in predator sense to 94 degrees with no overclocking done in predator sense? 

System temp is generally high, 36 to 40 degrees, it's quite hot here. Is it tied just to this?

Thanks to who would answer.

Best Answers

• Red-SandRed-Sand Posts: 1,575 Pathfinder
    Accepted Answer
    First of all you must go to XTU and set the profile to "default", resetting all values to their default before you installed XTU. If all you did was undervolt then just set voltage offset back to 0.0 and apply.

After default settings are set in XTU. Go to your program manager and uninstall XTU. After it's removed, reboot your laptop.

* Then click your start button and type "services" and hit enter.
    Look for the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Service, right click and select properties.
    Select "Stop" then click the drop down menu where it says "automatic" and change it to "disabled" *

*Once that's done you need to click your Windows start button and start typing "regedit" and hit enter.*

*Once the registry editor pops up, look on the panel on the left and find...*

*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services*

* Once you find this drop down list look for "iocbios" or "iocbios2" in the left panel. When you find it, right click and delete. *

* Once that's done you need to reboot your laptop and hit F2 while it's starting up to enter BIOS. Once in BIOS hit F9 to set BIOS to default. Then "Save & Exit". *

* When laptop reboots find the "Intel" folder in your program files (Check both Program files & Program fles (x86)) and left click to go into the folder. Once in you will see a "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" folder. Right click and delete this folder. If you find it in both Program Files and Program Files (x86) then delete both. If you try to delete the folder but it won't let you, then go to your Task Manager and end the XTUService and retry. *

*Last go to your task manager and look for "XTU Service". If you see it then end the process. If you don't see it, awesome.*

- Hotel Hero
  • sri369sri369 Posts: 1,047 Valued Contributor
    Accepted Answer
    OliverM3 said:

For fun I figured I'd try 2000mhz and see how it did. It was stable and completed Heaven with cool temps.  It only gained about 100 points over my previous score. I may have to try upping the memory as well to see if that helps the score. I was debating on switching paste from MX4 but maybe I'll leave it. It seems to be doing quite well. It did hit 69c though on the gpu by the end of the test.

That's a cool FPS! My 1060 could only score a max of 67 FPS with tessellation on medium :-( You sure have a very nice rig.

FAQ & Answers