Speedshift in Throttlestop and some questions on undervolting

Skree
Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello all.

I am picking my way around throttlestop and general undervolting, and have a couple of questions that baffle me a while.

When i just bought the computer i ran Mass Effect Andromeda while overclockingwith predator sense, it reached 88 degrees. After a while i undervolted, made sometests with the computer ,etcetera, now if i play andromeda with NO UNDERVOLTING my temperatures are around 92, 94 degrees. Nothing else changed, i also formatted my computer.  After the first undervolt the temps seemed to rise a bit. How is this possible? can it be simply because when i first tested the computer it was still technically "winter"? or should i be worried about something?

Second question: would you suggest i use SPeedshift with 128/64 settings? does it hurt performance in real life usage? i did notice somewhat lower framerates during benchmark.

Now about exact undervolting. My computer seems stable at -150mv, but once in a while (days) i do experience a crash and reboot. The CPU does not power throttle.

RIght now i am using speedshift and undervolting at -125, and it all seems stable, with temps i would define good (low 80).

Any general suggestions about throttlestop settings? Or am i good as i am?

But, above all, what baffles me is the change in temperatures when no undervolting is done. How can that change from 88 degrees overclocked in predator sense to 94 degrees with no overclocking done in predator sense? 

System temp is generally high, 36 to 40 degrees, it's quite hot here. Is it tied just to this?

Thanks to who would answer.

Best Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    First of all you must go to XTU and set the profile to "default", resetting all values to their default before you installed XTU. If all you did was undervolt then just set voltage offset back to 0.0 and apply.

After default settings are set in XTU. Go to your program manager and uninstall XTU. After it's removed, reboot your laptop.

* Then click your start button and type "services" and hit enter.
    Look for the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Service, right click and select properties.
    Select "Stop" then click the drop down menu where it says "automatic" and change it to "disabled" *

*Once that's done you need to click your Windows start button and start typing "regedit" and hit enter.*

*Once the registry editor pops up, look on the panel on the left and find...*

*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services*

* Once you find this drop down list look for "iocbios" or "iocbios2" in the left panel. When you find it, right click and delete. *

* Once that's done you need to reboot your laptop and hit F2 while it's starting up to enter BIOS. Once in BIOS hit F9 to set BIOS to default. Then "Save & Exit". *

* When laptop reboots find the "Intel" folder in your program files (Check both Program files & Program fles (x86)) and left click to go into the folder. Once in you will see a "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" folder. Right click and delete this folder. If you find it in both Program Files and Program Files (x86) then delete both. If you try to delete the folder but it won't let you, then go to your Task Manager and end the XTUService and retry. *

*Last go to your task manager and look for "XTU Service". If you see it then end the process. If you don't see it, awesome.*

- Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    OliverM3 said:

For fun I figured I'd try 2000mhz and see how it did. It was stable and completed Heaven with cool temps.  It only gained about 100 points over my previous score. I may have to try upping the memory as well to see if that helps the score. I was debating on switching paste from MX4 but maybe I'll leave it. It seems to be doing quite well. It did hit 69c though on the gpu by the end of the test.

That's a cool FPS! My 1060 could only score a max of 67 FPS with tessellation on medium :-( You sure have a very nice rig.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Answers

• Red-Sand
    edited June 2018
    Sometimes defaulting the BIOs helps prior to undervolting especially with throttlestop. 

If you had XTU installed prior to Throttlestop you should be sure to remove all residual files including the overclock drivers installed (which ultimately are removed from defaulting BIOs) after removing the iocbios2 registry (regedit) located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

To default your BIOs simply reboot and spam the F2 button quickly to enter the BIOs then hit F9 to default it and F10 to save & exit. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Skree
    Yeah, i did use XTU as a first try... i thought an official intel app was better than a third party one, but by keep using these programs throttlestop seems by far superior.
  • Red-Sand
    Indeed it is far superior, I've been in contact with Uncle Webb (developer) for years and he seems to understand Intel CPUs better then Intel lol. 

There is a critical confliction between it and XTU if XTU is not removed properly. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Answer ✓
    First of all you must go to XTU and set the profile to "default", resetting all values to their default before you installed XTU. If all you did was undervolt then just set voltage offset back to 0.0 and apply.

After default settings are set in XTU. Go to your program manager and uninstall XTU. After it's removed, reboot your laptop.

* Then click your start button and type "services" and hit enter.
    Look for the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Service, right click and select properties.
    Select "Stop" then click the drop down menu where it says "automatic" and change it to "disabled" *

*Once that's done you need to click your Windows start button and start typing "regedit" and hit enter.*

*Once the registry editor pops up, look on the panel on the left and find...*

*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services*

* Once you find this drop down list look for "iocbios" or "iocbios2" in the left panel. When you find it, right click and delete. *

* Once that's done you need to reboot your laptop and hit F2 while it's starting up to enter BIOS. Once in BIOS hit F9 to set BIOS to default. Then "Save & Exit". *

* When laptop reboots find the "Intel" folder in your program files (Check both Program files & Program fles (x86)) and left click to go into the folder. Once in you will see a "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" folder. Right click and delete this folder. If you find it in both Program Files and Program Files (x86) then delete both. If you try to delete the folder but it won't let you, then go to your Task Manager and end the XTUService and retry. *

*Last go to your task manager and look for "XTU Service". If you see it then end the process. If you don't see it, awesome.*

- Hotel Hero
  • Skree
    Bloody hell, reading you i should never have used XTU.

I will follow your instructions and post an answer with the results. I'm flabbergasted.

Thanks of course.
  • Red-Sand
    I apologize.... In all honesty you could probably get away with leaving most of that there.... I'm a bit thorough in my removals lol
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    I personally still prefer XTU.. for its like set once and forget. Throttlestop needs to be started up as a program whenever I login, compared to the service startup for XTU.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    edited June 2018
    sri369 said:
    I personally still prefer XTU.. for its like set once and forget. Throttlestop needs to be started up as a program whenever I login, compared to the service startup for XTU.
    I've had quite the opposite experience (as well as a couple thousand others that I know of personally). XTU shuts down randomly and usually mid game cause mass temp spikes without your knowledge.
    XTU only undervolts while Throttlestop undervolts and allows adjustments to speed shift eep/speed step to further lower temperatures or soft overclock the HQ cpus. 

As far as loading throttlestop at boot... 

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-can-i-get-throttlestop-to-auto-load-when-windows-starts-up.230371/
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    @Red-Sand
    Let me try that link n get back. I reason i went to XTU is cos my user is a non admin user (i prefer using non admin user and using password when asked for permission for security reasons), and TT had me put in password every single time i restarted and logged in when i added to program link manually to my start folder.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    edited June 2018
    Ah well when setting up the task schedule be sure to set the task to run as admin, it will ask for credentials of the admin account simply add the credentials to the task schedule and you should be good to go. .👌 
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    edited June 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    Ah well when setting up the task schedule be sure to set the task to run as admin, it will ask for credentials of the admin account simply add the credentials to the task schedule and you should be good to go. .👌 
    I got it working. It shows up under Processes in task manager. But I do not see the task bar entries - cpu temp, gpu temp and profile selected. Is there any way to get them too show up?

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Red-Sand said:
    Here ya go

I got this... only wondering how to get the tray info visible when starting this as a task
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369
    edited June 2018
    Intel XTU - temps 70-80, spikes to 85-90; idle 45-55
    Throttle Stop - temps - 60-70, spikes to 70-75, idle 40-50

No performance difference, difference only in temps.
    Same undervolting on both @ -0.125

Screenshot when using ThrottleStop on Ghost Recon wildlands on ultra

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    sri369 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    Here ya go

I got this... only wondering how to get the tray info visible when starting this as a task
    You just setup the task to start throttlestop.... Throttlestop itself runs the tray icons
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Red-Sand said:
    You just setup the task to start throttlestop.... Throttlestop itself runs the tray icons
    I did. I see the task under processes. I see the reduced voltages in hwmonitor. But i don't see the tray icons.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    Well that's why I sent the video brother. 
    It shows how to enable tray icons. 

In TS options there's check boxes to enable it. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    edited June 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    Well that's why I sent the video brother. 
    It shows how to enable tray icons. 

In TS options there's check boxes to enable it. 
    Okay... guess I haven't been clear.

I got TS working.. including icons. Icons show up when i double click the program and launch it.
    But... when the program gets started as a task, it starts, but the tray icons do not show up.
    If I stop the process task, and start the program manually via double clicking, it shows icons again.

Its fine though... it is doing its work, silently.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    Oh I see.... That is odd. 

Are you sure the task schedule osisetupcjust like the guide? 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Skree
    Ok, it took some time, but i got it all done. I tried running Prey with no undervolting, temps were around 90 with spikes up to 94.

Undervolted, activated speedshit, set up everything, now predator sense reports a max temp during gameplay of 77 degrees, but watchingthe "history" it mostly stayed on the 70.

What can i say... i would have preferred that a laptop as costly as the triton 700 is would have come out of the production line already optimized.

But then again, thanks to red-sand for his advice and the time he took.

I really think these laptops should arrive to the end customer already tweaked, however.