Speedshift in Throttlestop and some questions on undervolting

13»

Answers

• Max Q is good for what it is.. but I can on my normal non Max Q GPU use a curve editor like MSI Afterburner and achieve less voltages and higher clock speeds than the Max Q varient.. resulting in lesser temps and better performance than even a desktop of the same specs.
    - Hotel Hero
  • OliverM3
    OliverM3 Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Red-Sand said:
    Max Q is good for what it is.. but I can on my normal non Max Q GPU use a curve editor like MSI Afterburner and achieve less voltages and higher clock speeds than the Max Q varient.. resulting in lesser temps and better performance than even a desktop of the same specs.

Couldn't you do the same with a max-q? I'm at 1850MHz stock so if I start tweaking I'm sure I can get the Max-Q closer or above 2000. Still have a lot of thermal headroom. Haven't had the need to go any higher yet since it can drive everything on ultra settings.

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    OliverM3 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    Max Q is good for what it is.. but I can on my normal non Max Q GPU use a curve editor like MSI Afterburner and achieve less voltages and higher clock speeds than the Max Q varient.. resulting in lesser temps and better performance than even a desktop of the same specs.

Couldn't you do the same with a max-q? I'm at 1850MHz stock so if I start tweaking I'm sure I can get the Max-Q closer or above 2000. Still have a lot of thermal headroom. Haven't had the need to go any higher yet since it can drive everything on ultra settings.

No, you can't change voltages to the level a normal GPU can.

Im running 1920MHz at 900mV
    1721MHz at 800mV
    Easily hit over 2k MHz at 1000mV
    - Hotel Hero
  • OliverM3
    Red-Sand said:
    OliverM3 said:
    Red-Sand said:

No, you can't change voltages to the level a normal GPU can.

Im running 1920MHz at 900mV
    1721MHz at 800mV
    Easily hit over 2k MHz at 1000mV

Makes sense. Thought voltage was locked based on manufacturer not GPU model. I've had a bunch of non-max-q laptops that were voltage locked.

• OliverM3
    edited September 2018

For fun I figured I'd try 2000mhz and see how it did. It was stable and completed Heaven with cool temps.  It only gained about 100 points over my previous score. I may have to try upping the memory as well to see if that helps the score. I was debating on switching paste from MX4 but maybe I'll leave it. It seems to be doing quite well. It did hit 69c though on the gpu by the end of the test.

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    OliverM3 said:

For fun I figured I'd try 2000mhz and see how it did. It was stable and completed Heaven with cool temps.  It only gained about 100 points over my previous score. I may have to try upping the memory as well to see if that helps the score. I was debating on switching paste from MX4 but maybe I'll leave it. It seems to be doing quite well. It did hit 69c though on the gpu by the end of the test.

That's a cool FPS! My 1060 could only score a max of 67 FPS with tessellation on medium :-( You sure have a very nice rig.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • OliverM3
    sri369 said:
    That's a cool FPS! My 1060 could only score a max of 67 FPS with tessellation on medium :-( You sure have a very nice rig.
    Thanks I'm super happy with the design, performance and form factor of the Predator Triton 700. By far the best laptop I've ever owned. I just couldn't pass up the deals they have on the refurbs lets hope it doesn't bite me in the butt. I've had it for about a month now.
  • wys1314
    wys1314 Member Posts: 2 New User
    wys1314 said:
    So great to see this, I'm facing exact the same issue with @sri369. With the same game and Intel XTU it's bring me a result of: 70-85, spikes to 97! Will try tonight after work..... Hope that's work for me T.T
    Hurray, my CPU max heat only 75c after undervolt with ThrottleStop! It’s totally fix my issue, thanks god that I saw this post 😊