Acer SF314-51 (Swift 3) - Machine will randomly shut off after BIOS update

ksnarula
ksnarula Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I saw an updated version of the BIOS for my Swift 3 featured on the Acer website a week or two ago. I installed it thinking that it would hold some improvement, or at the very least function, given that it was provided to me by Acer on their official site. 

After the upgrade, my Swift 3 began to randomly shut off without any warning. I can be working on it and the screen will go black, the fan will stop, and I'll have to hit the power button to reboot the machine. I called Acer tech support and they had me reload the default configuration settings for via the BIOS screen. This did not help. We also went to the Acer site again and tried to install an older version of the BIOS, however, the installer does not let me downgrade the version. We have also tried a full reinstall of Windows as well as a wiping of the drive during the restoration process. 

This issue only began after the BIOS update installed. I've checked Event Viewer in Windows after the reboot and it always says the source of the issues was "Kernel-Power". I'm at a loss of what to do next. My warranty expired a month ago so I can't just send it in without paying $300+ for repairs, but Acer should be fixing this for me free of charge as it was their update that screwed everything up. Can somebody who has had the same issue, or has experience with this issue help me? I would also like an Acer representative to view this thread and take responsibility for this issue by making this right with me. 

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    The BIOS update may be coincidental to another issue involving case misalignment with a safety switch on the mainboard that affects some models. Have you adjusted the case for any reason or opened it to add an upgrade? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ksnarula

Tinkerer

I haven't done so, but seeing as my warranty is expired I have no reservation about opening it up now to check. Could you post a diagram or a description of where this switch is so I can find it and figure out what may be hitting it. 

On the other hand, if this is a common issue with some models, is there a way to have this fixed/replaced by Acer without paying an exorbitant $300 (more than half the original cost of the computer).
  • JackE
    Not common. But mentioned frequently on this community with different models . But even if it was common, out of warranty repairs are gonna be steep anyway --- essentially the price of a factory-refurb.

The kernel-power message in event viewer is simply telling you something your already know --- the system lost power while it was running so Windows didn't get shut down correctlyproperly.

I can't tell if your model has the safety switch or not. Other users have reported finding this with other recent models. Sometimes it's due to a normally off switch that the case doesn't press hard enough against when assembled and shuts the machine off if the case is physically moved or handled. In others, it's a normally-on switch that the case presses too hard against and shuts the machine off if the case is moved or handled. This is the thread dealing with both types of switches --- sorry the thread is long but it deals with different models. The solutions have been rather simple involving either duct tape or similar inelegant-sounding fixes but they seem to have worked for some folks
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/464023/acer-aspire-e15-keeps-randomly-shutting-down-even-when-i-have-a-full-battery-charge/p4

I suggest that before you go diving into this, you might want to try to manhandling your case a bit --- squeezing or apply pressure on the case in different places to see if you can provoke a shutdown.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ksnarula

Tinkerer

I have been taking a look at this case issue. Without having opened it yet, I have had no luck "manhandling" the machine and provoking a shutdown. I have had this laptop for over a year now so any possibility of an accidental application of pressure to the case being the cause of my inadvertent shutdowns is minimal. It has not happened even once for the year I've owned the laptop until after the BIOS update. 

Since the update, the power loss occurs consistently within 1-2 hours from bootIt happens whether the machine is sitting stationary on a desk or on my lap. Additionally, it happens regardless of whether I am actively using the machine or if it just sitting and playing a video without any user interaction. 

As the chance of this issue being caused by a fault in the case is minuscule, and rather more likely as a result of the BIOS update issues by Acer on their official website, I would like to explore other options for machine recovery. These would include either an updated BIOS version rectifying this problem or some move on the part of Acer to replace/repair my machine without an out-of-warranty charge. I would like to discuss this issue with an Acer representative. 
  • JackE
    >>>I would like to discuss this issue with an Acer representative. >>>

I'm fairly sure your only out of warranty options are via the ACER service link at the bottom of this page. Unfortunately, BIOS updates, especially finicky UEFI bootstraps, should rarely be applied unless the machine has a significant issue. Improved performance shouldn't be assumed unless specifically stated.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Many Acer models have a microswitch in the back to prevent operation with the case open. First thing I would do is to tighten all of the screws in the case particularly those in the center. Don't play Godzilla, they are easy to overtorque, just make sure all are tight.

• ksnarula

Tinkerer

Is there some way I can force a BIOS downgrade to an older version? I'm currently on the latest v1.10 whereas before I began experiencing problems, I was on v1.09
  • JackE
    Not without a significantly increased risk for bricking the machine cuz it'd have to be tried outside Windows. I suspect some kind of a hiccup must've happened --- probably with the UEFI bootstrapping hardware --- when you first ran the file so I'd rather see you try to re-do 1.10 if you haven't done so already. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    Answer ✓

Might look here.

• ksnarula

Tinkerer

I referenced your link and downgraded my BIOS. Using the machine right now and waiting to see if I run into any issues. So far, so good. Thank you very much, this is what I was looking for @padgett

• JackE
    Congrats. Thanks for the reference padgett. We gotta another similar update issue but this time the update disabled the screen. Gonna be tough to extract the fd file or manipulate the ini without a screen. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    Seems easy enough to me, use an external monitor. Also if can boot to the login screen before it goes bananaz then selecting a "high contrast" mode through the accessibility button usually works.
  • JackE
    I think the video card is disabled. No logo screen. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rikiko
    rikiko Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hi all, after the update to v1.10 I had two unexpected shutdowns while I was browsing youtube...
  • JackE
    @rikiko   So what problem were you having with the machine that you felt v1.10 would fix? If none, then I suggest that you go back to an earlier version as instructed in the link provided by Padgett above. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rikiko

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    @rikiko   So what problem were you having with the machine that you felt v1.10 would fix? If none, then I suggest that you go back to an earlier version as instructed in the link provided by Padgett above. Jack E/NJ
    Of course I have no suggestion to fix this it, It was only to report my experience to highlight the fact that it's a very big issue, with many occurecies. I'll try to follow the procedure suggested by Padgett but do you agree with me it's only a workaround and not a fix?
  • JackE
    @rikiko NO. If the machine had no issues with the earlier BIOS version, then that earlier BIOS version was correct for your particular production model. It is NOT a work-around. Generally, unless the BIOS update is being applied to a machine that is actually having a serious problem or specifically states to improve performance, then the update should NOT be applied.  Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• rikiko

Tinkerer

@JackE generally speaking it's ok but with this fix introduce updates Intel microcode and ME firmware version; there is a security fix in the V1.10 and I prefert to update my machine with last security patch.
  • JackE
    @rikiko v1.10 is the latest available.  You could always try it again. But the risk of bricking the system is always there too no matter how good the firmware is. And if it was my machine, especially with the results you've already experienced with v1.10 ,  that risk would simply be too great for me to try it again hoping for a different result.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rikiko

Tinkerer

@JackE; I downgraded the bios to 1.9 following the instruction in the link, at the moment, I remain with this bios, no problem with it, I hope acer is going to release asap a stable version. Bye