Acer SF314-51 (Swift 3) - Machine will randomly shut off after BIOS update

Options
2»

Answers

• Gravyb
    Gravyb Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options
    ksnarula said:
    I saw an updated version of the BIOS for my Swift 3 featured on the Acer website a week or two ago. I installed it thinking that it would hold some improvement, or at the very least function, given that it was provided to me by Acer on their official site. 

After the upgrade, my Swift 3 began to randomly shut off without any warning. I can be working on it and the screen will go black, the fan will stop, and I'll have to hit the power button to reboot the machine. I called Acer tech support and they had me reload the default configuration settings for via the BIOS screen. This did not help. We also went to the Acer site again and tried to install an older version of the BIOS, however, the installer does not let me downgrade the version. We have also tried a full reinstall of Windows as well as a wiping of the drive during the restoration process. 

This issue only began after the BIOS update installed. I've checked Event Viewer in Windows after the reboot and it always says the source of the issues was "Kernel-Power". I'm at a loss of what to do next. My warranty expired a month ago so I can't just send it in without paying $300+ for repairs, but Acer should be fixing this for me free of charge as it was their update that screwed everything up. Can somebody who has had the same issue, or has experience with this issue help me? I would also like an Acer representative to view this thread and take responsibility for this issue by making this right with me. 
    I installed the 1.10 BIOS update yesterday and had the same problem. Shut down unexpectedly 2 -3 times. I was hoping the update would fix the intermittent problem with several keys on the internal kb stopping working (but it didn't).
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,555 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Gravyb  Try uninstalling the KB from Device Mgr. Exit. Then a cold boot to let Windows automatically re-dectect and re-install the KB. See if that resolves the KB issue. As for the random shutdown issues, what is the current power plan settings? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ