Aspire TC-780 - Trouble adding a video card

Options
13»

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I wish Acer would update their SOP for your model.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Nulion
    Nulion Member Posts: 36 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Allllrighty, going to give this a shot now.
  • JordanB
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ok sounds good.  Here is the other thread where they had problems like we are having updating the BIOS.  So you have to do it from an admin command prompt or admin powershell.  Which is how I normally do it anyway.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/499138/how-to-install-bios-on-tc-780
  • JordanB
    Options
    After the BIOS processing is complete, make sure you restart your computer and load the defaults as described in my previous post.
  • Nulion
    Options
    Okay, the BIOS firmware update appears to have worked... but I cannot actually check, because the computer is doing that annoying thing it does where it tries booting up, over and over again (fans and power light only) but never actually boots up. I have no idea why it keeps doing this.
  • JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you still have problems, I think you should call Acer support.  But they probably aren't going to help you unless you re-install your original power supply.  It's possible that you have a power supply problem.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • Nulion
    Options
    That's another deeply confusing thing; I tested the power supply, methodically going through each component and making sure nothing failed, before getting to this part. Everything worked until I got to the video card. Worst case scenario I can try getting the power supply replaced though.
  • JordanB
    Options
    Did the BIOS update work?  Did your computer finally boot?
  • Nulion
    Options
    I haven't been able to get the computer to boot yet, but I think the BIOS update *did* work this time.
  • Nulion
    Options
    FINALLY. I got the thing loaded up; the BIOS are all updated to A04! Whoo. One way or another, after this I think I need to get a refund on this power supply.
  • Nulion
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The more I think about it, the more it feels like the power supply is faulty. I think I'll be returning it.
  • JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  Power supply.  
  • Nulion
    Options
    That's what I'm gonna do then. Man, thank you so much for helping me out with all of this. I will follow up in a few days once I get the new PSU, and hopefully it works.
  • JordanB
    Options
    You're welcome.  Let us know how the new power supply works.  Maybe even get a different model/brand of power supply??  SeaSonic makes pretty good power supplies.  That's what I've got.  
  • Nulion
    Options
    @JordanB

The replacement power supply worked!

Whew! Computer is working like a dream. Thank you!

(I went with the exact same PSU, because Amazon would replace it the fastest, and I tend to think of EVGA as a pretty good PSU manufacturer)
  • Munky
    Munky Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Sharanji said:
    On your Acer computer, after entering the BIOS by hitting F2 or Delete, you will want to navigate to “Authentication”. Under Authentication you will see Secure Boot which you will want to Disable. Now, navigate over to the "Boot Options" menu at the top and enter in the "Launch CSM" option and set it to always. You may also want to verify that the "Video OpROM" is set to "Legacy" Once those settings are changed you will be able to save and exit. When the computer starts into Windows shut it down, and install the graphics card normally. The graphics should now be displaying through the video card.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

I'll keep an eye out for your response. 

I hope you have a great day! Smiley Happy

This worked GREAT for me - but now I lost the onboard graphics (I use it for my 3rd monitor). Is there a way to enable it again & keep my GPU active?
     Additionally - I could not locate the "Video OpROM" in the BIOS.

TIA - Munky
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,420 Trailblazer
    Options
    Nope, you can use the onboard video or the GPU card, but not both.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mike1337
    Mike1337 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Sharanji said:
    On your Acer computer, after entering the BIOS by hitting F2 or Delete, you will want to navigate to “Authentication”. Under Authentication you will see Secure Boot which you will want to Disable. Now, navigate over to the "Boot Options" menu at the top and enter in the "Launch CSM" option and set it to always. You may also want to verify that the "Video OpROM" is set to "Legacy" Once those settings are changed you will be able to save and exit. When the computer starts into Windows shut it down, and install the graphics card normally. The graphics should now be displaying through the video card.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

I'll keep an eye out for your response. 

I hope you have a great day! Smiley Happy

This worked for me! Thanks!