Aspire TC-780 - Trouble adding a video card

Options
Nulion
Nulion Member Posts: 36 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hello!

I just recently got an Aspire TC-780, with the intent to upgrade the power supply and video card...but have had nothing but trouble.

First, I tested the stock machine; worked beautifully. Windows 10 is fully updated and set up, too.

Then, I changed out the power supply (an EVGA 600w power supply, brand new) and had no problems there either. Everything works perfectly.

When it came time to put in the new video card (a GIGABYTE GTX 970 that has been thoroughly tested and works on other machines), is where all the problems start.

Putting in the video card, plugging in the power...the computer simply will not boot up. The fans run, the WINDFORCE logo on the card lights up blue...but nothing else happens. The PC doesn't boot up, and no signal is sent to the monitor.

So, I search here on these forums and found a thread about a similar issue, where I am instructed to remove the card, boot up the machine, and then go to Device Manager and disable the onboard video, then shut the machine off.

When I re-install the graphics card, the computer now does a thing where the fans and WINDFORCE light turn on for one second, then the machine shuts off, and automatically does it again, ad infinitum, until I pull the power.

Removing the card, I find that the machine STILL will not start up properly; the onboard video is disabled, so I can't get any monitor output. Testing an older video card (a GTX 560) still yields the same results as the GTX 970 being plugged in, even though I am positive there is nothing wrong with that card either; it worked perfectly fine on my old computer.

I'm at the end of my rope here...What can I do? Acer tech support refuses to help...I don't know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Best Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you still have problems, I think you should call Acer support.  But they probably aren't going to help you unless you re-install your original power supply.  It's possible that you have a power supply problem.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Nulion
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The more I think about it, the more it feels like the power supply is faulty. I think I'll be returning it.
  • JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  Power supply.  

Answers

• Nulion
    Options
    Quick update; I managed to re-enable the onboard video by pulling the BIOS battery and allowing it to reset. That let me turn the computer on and re-enable onboard video via Device Manager.

The problem with the graphics card persists though.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    On your Acer computer, after entering the BIOS by hitting F2 or Delete, you will want to navigate to “Authentication”. Under Authentication you will see Secure Boot which you will want to Disable. Now, navigate over to the "Boot Options" menu at the top and enter in the "Launch CSM" option and set it to always. You may also want to verify that the "Video OpROM" is set to "Legacy" Once those settings are changed you will be able to save and exit. When the computer starts into Windows shut it down, and install the graphics card normally. The graphics should now be displaying through the video card.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

I'll keep an eye out for your response. 

I hope you have a great day! Smiley Happy

• Nulion
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding!

I want to take your advice, but currently I cannot even enter the BIOS (it tells me to press Del to get into them normally, not F2, and most of the options are usually blanked out... we'll see) because, after rebooting the computer, it now goes into a cycle where it attempts booting up; the fans and power light turn on...but nothing else happens.

The computer does not boot, nothing appears on the monitor, and after a short time the computer automatically shuts off, and then automatically tries again. It just keeps trying over and over, but won't actually boot.
  • Nulion
    Options
    I've tried removing the BIOS battery again, three times; the computer still refuses to boot up. There's no beep, either. 

This is all *without* the graphics card installed.
  • Nulion
    Options
    Okay, I got into the BIOS. (Had to unplug the computer for a few minutes and let the whole thing "reset" by not having any juice for awhile) I changed the settings you recommended, ensured that Video OpRom was set to Legacy, the whole works....and then I plugged in the card, and it didn't work.

The fans turn on and the video card WINDFORCE logo lights up for maybe half a second, before it all shuts off, automatically tries rebooting, and does it again, over and over.
  • Nulion
    Options
    Still no luck. I don't know what to do...gah. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Nulion
    Options
    The video card, when installed, is now turning on completely...the light stays on, the fans stay running, but there is no "beep" indicating that the machine is actually booting up. The processor fan is running too...but the machine still does not actually boot.

Any ideas, anyone?
  • Nulion
    Options
    Also, the power button light is not turning on at any point.
  • JordanB
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Nulion

1. Go in to your BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)
    2. Try connecting to an HDMI monitor or DVI monitor
    3.  Make sure you have the video cables connected to your graphics card output
  • Nulion
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! As it currently stands, I cannot boot the computer up at all; it cannot get into the BIOS. I have tried rebooting the BIOS (by doing things like removing the battery) but to no avail....and the entire time, the monitor has been plugged in via HDMI.
  • JordanB
    Options
    @Nulion

1. Shutdown your computer and unplug
    2.. Remove your GTX970
    3. Disconnect the SATA power cable(s) from your HDD/SSD
    4. Turn on your computer and try to access your BIOS
  • Nulion
    Options
    Okay, I removed the card, and the computer can now boot up. I'm in the BIOS settings.
  • Nulion
    Options
    I am in the BIOS right now, with power to the HDD disabled.
  • JordanB
    Options
    @Nulion

Load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)
    Please leave your BIOS settings at the default settings.
  • Nulion
    Options
    Alright, done.
  • JordanB
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1. Shut down your computer and install your graphics card. 
    2. Turn on your computer.
    3. Make sure you have video cable connected to graphics card output
    4.  Be patient  :)
  • Nulion
    Options
    Alright, gonna give that a try :) Should I plug the HDD back in yet?
  • JordanB
    Options
    yes, plug everything back in
  • Nulion
    Options
    Didn't work. :( Computer still will not start up. Same problem as before, where the machine tries to power on (fans and graphic card LED-lit logo only), then shuts off. It just does that over and over again.

Is this the part where you recommend I stay patient?
  • JordanB
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Have you plugged in the power cables to your graphics card?  6 pin??  8 pin??  I'm not sure what your graphics card has as far as power connectors.