Aspire TC-780 - Trouble adding a video card

Options

Answers

• Nulion
    Nulion Member Posts: 36 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I've plugged in both the 6-pin and the 8-pin.
  • Nulion
    Options
    It's a GIGABYTE GTX 970, and has room for both 6-pin *and* 8-pin connections; I plugged both in, and made sure they're nice and snug. There was an audible click when I plugged both in, so they're secure.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    If you remove your graphics card, does your computer boot and work properly?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Nulion
    Options
    Yes...for the most part. The computer *mostly* boots and works correctly. It will get caught in a loop, even without the graphics card in, where it will attempt booting up (fans will spin up, power light comes on) but I will get no signal to the monitor. I have to unplug the computer, let it sit for several minutes without power, and plug it back in to get it working again.

I was thinking it was a problem with the video card, but the video card *works* in other machines without a problem. On top of that, I tried an older video card (a GTX 560) that worked flawlessly in my old machine, and it does the exact same thing that the 970 does.

It's like this computer hates video cards.

If that wasn't bad enough, this is the SECOND TC-780 that has had this exact thing happen; I thought there was a problem with the motherboard on the previous one and got a new model shipped to me...but it has the same problem

I would like to disable the onboard video from within the BIOS, but it's greyed out.

I was told maybe I should update the BIOS, but I don't know how. (I might even be running the newest version of the BIOS)
  • JordanB
    Options
    1. right click on the windows start button
    2. left click on Run
    3. Type msinfo32
    4. Click ok
    5. Report your BIOS version
  • Nulion
    Options
    Will do, gimme a moment.
  • Nulion
    Options
    Alrighty; I am running BIOS version...

"American Megatrends Inc. R02-A02, 2/21/2017"
  • JordanB
    Options
    Download R02-A4 from https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    Extract All

• Nulion
    Options
    Alright! I'm going to try this. Stand by!
  • Nulion
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The update failed. I followed the instructions exactly, but while running FLASH.bat, it said "10 - Error: Unable to load driver" As a result, I am still stuck with the old 02 BIOS version
  • Nulion
    Options
    R02-A02, that is.
  • JordanB
    Options
    Did you enter your serial number or SNID to make sure you have the correct model to download the correct BIOS??? 

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• Nulion
    Options
    I went through the "Select a Model" menus. I'll try entering it manually.
  • JordanB
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have TC-780 or TC-780A
  • Nulion
    Options
    It just doesn't work. I've tried entering the serial number and the SNID 3 times each to make sure I got them right, then I went and tried a different version of the  BIOS for the TC-780 (the TC-780A) and it doesn't work. I am still stuck with the R02-A02 BIOS drivers.
  • Nulion
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have the TC-780, but to be clear I tried the A04 drivers for both models, to no avail.
  • Nulion
    Options
    Maybe I should go to A03 before I try A04?
  • JordanB
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yes you can try R02-A3, but you really need to know what you have.  Do you have TC-780 or TC-780A?  You can't just install whatever BIOS you want.  It's important that you know  your model number.  Please delete all of your downloaded BIOS and start over.
  • Nulion
    Options
    It says TC-780 on the box, so that must be it. I'll go and do that, and start over but this time with the A03 drivers. Thanks so much for bearing with me through this; I have never had such a difficult time in my life just getting a video card to work...whoo!
  • Nulion
    Options
    R02-A03 didn't work; first, Windows SmartScreen popped up and prevented me from opening the .bat file; no problem, I just temporarily disabled it. When I tried running the file, it pops a brief flash of a window, then closes it, and nothing happens.