Fan Control Problems With 5750G And similar machines

2»

Answers

• evilstorm
    evilstorm Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello. I use the 5750G daily, and lately for gaming. Obviously this is not a gaming computer although the system specs can easily trick the consumer to buy this laptop. I dont know if its even available to buy nowadays since I bought it around 2 years ago, anyway I wanted to contribute with my solution. I tried to adjust the fan, but its not helping me. I work at a shop that sells groceries and I borrowed a large ice pack. Surprisingly it is almost the exact size of the laptop bottom. I put my laptop on it, nothing in between and I am now playing Skyrim for hours. Sure, it gets warm but thne i can always turn the ice pack so the cold meets the warm. Or simply take a break after some time. To further enhance the effect I have removed the keyboard giving the fan some extra air, or something. This is the most effecient way IMO and very easy. 

• Meowmunist
    Meowmunist Member Posts: 1 New User

Mine overheats too! It never used to before but it started after about the 1 year mark. The fan just refuses to spin and I have to take out the keyboard and tap at it before it starts going. I've replaced the thermal paste countless times and if I'm not using a cooling pad the computer will begin to throttle and just shut off after about 15 minutes of gaming.

• Sn00ze
    Sn00ze Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm also experiencing the same issue, except the fan is forever stuck at "basic" speed. Out of the blue it just stopped speeding up entirely one day, leading to very quick overheating. Sometimes it makes that noise like it's trying to start but stops right away, like when you briefly twist the throttle on a motorbike. I've tried AcFanControl and it did force the fan to speed up but the overheating didn't stop so I'm thinking something else might be going on.

Could the "old" dried up thermal paste alone cause this issue? I might try replacing it but I'm not really optimistic either at this point.

Edit: also I wanted to point out that during the warranty period, the fan already broke once somehow (it made a really loud mechanical noise) and the techs replaced the fan module with one where the entire casing is metallic. I suspect what happens is that since Acer used cheap plastic for the laptop casing, resting your arm on the left side/pressing the wasd keys must be applying pressure on the components underneath (including the fan) and gradually damaging the whole thing.

I had never had any issue with my previous Acer laptops but this one has been a complete disaster since the beginning (hdd died too and I also had a problem with the screen), I think I'll try another brand next time.

• Gaboros
    Gaboros Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Any news from Acer? Or any "homemade" fix for this? Mine also goes to 95+ even with disabled turbo...