What can I do if my computer fails while installing Windows updates or will not boot to Windows?
This article provides information on how to create and use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. You can use this tool to restore your system if it will not boot to Windows or if it fails to start after installing a Windows update. Symptoms you may experience are:
- System continually restarts after displaying the Acer splash screen
- System boots to a black screen
- Windows Updates fail to install
This process requires another PC with internet access, and a USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of storage space. The data on the USB flash drive will be erased to create the Windows 10 bootable flash drive.
Creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive
- Visit the Microsoft Media Creation Tool website
- Click Download Tool Now.
- Save the Application.
- Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
- Run the Application.
- Accept the EULA
- Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
- Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
- Language (Country)
- Windows 10
- 64-bit (x64)
- Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
- Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
- Click Next.
Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive.
Reloading Windows with the Media Creation Tool:
- Press and hold the Power key for five seconds to turn off your computer.
- Plug in the USB Drive that contains the Media Creation Tool files.
- Power on the system and begin tapping the F2 Key to enter the BIOS.
- In the BIOS, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Main menu item at the top.
- Use the down arrow to highlight F12 Boot Menu and press Enter.
- Highlight Enabled and press Enter.
- Press the F10 key and press Enter to save the changes and exit. The system will reboot immediately.
- As soon as the system begins rebooting, press the F12 key repeatedly to enter the Boot Manager.
- Select the USB HDD and press Enter. The Windows Setup environment will launch.
- Select your Language, Time and Keyboard, then click Next.
- Click Install Now.
- Accept the license terms and click Next.
- You will be prompted with choices:
- Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, settings and applications. This option should work for most users and should save most personal files. If you attempt this and run into errors, we suggest the next option.
- Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) This option allows you to determine the location where you want to install Windows. Using this option will erase all personal data.
If you are still experiencing a problem, please contact Acer support for further assistance.