If you want to permanently delete items from the recycle bin on your Windows computer, you will usually need to do it manually. However, it is possible to automate the process. Read below to learn how to make windows automatically delete files older than a preset time.
To automatically delete the files in your Windows 11 recycle bin, use the Windows Storage Sense feature. Storage Sense is useful for clearing different types of files on your computer, including downloaded and deleted files.
How to open the Recycle Bin in Windows 11
There are 2 ways to get to the Recycle Bin in Windows 11:
- Go to the upper left corner of the desktop to find the Recycle Bin shortcut.
- Click on the Recycle Bin shortcut to open the recycle bin.
- Type Recycle Bin in the Windows search box and press Enter.
How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin on a schedule
- Click on Start ⊞ and select Settings ⚙.
- Click on System and select Storage.
- Locate the Storage Management section and click on Storage Sense.
- Turn on Automatic User content cleanup.
- Click on the Run Storage Sense drop-down menu and select how often you want to run Storage Sense.
- Click on Delete Files in My Recycle Bin if They Have Been There for Over and select how often you want to permanently delete files.
- Scroll down the Storage Sense page and click on Run Storage Sense Now.