This article only applies to: Aspire A515-44, A515-45 and A515-46 models
The Aspire 5 series includes a storage bay that allows for installation of a secondary 2.5" hard drive or solid state drive. Use the steps below to install a secondary drive in your system.
Note: Acer recommends wearing an anti-static wrist strap when adding hardware to your system.
1) Remove the AC adapter and make sure your system is completely powered off.
2) Use a screwdriver to remove the 11 screws from the lower case.
3) Carefully pry up the base cover with a pry tool to release the latches. Start from the bottom side, then continue releasing the remaining latches on the left and right sides.
4) Grasp and remove the base cover from the system and locate the hard drive compartment.
Note: The battery is secured with the lower case. Do not turn over the system with the lower case removed.
5) Disconnect the USB board cable (A).
6) Slide the hard drive module (D) into the bracket.
Important: When placing the HDD module in the bracket, make sure the marked arrow (G) is facing the correct direction as shown in the image above.
7) Secure the hard drive to the bracket with four (4) screws (F).
8) Connect the hard drive cable to the hard drive module connector (E).
9) Place the assembled hard drive module (D) in its compartment. Make sure the guide pins (H) and hard drive bracket screw holes are properly aligned.
10) Secure the hard drive bracket with four screws (C), then connect the hard drive cable (B) and the USB board cable (A) to the mainboard and close the latches.
11) Put the lower case back into place and secure it with the 11 screws you removed in step 2.