How can I turn off or postpone Windows 10 updates?
Windows 10 does not allow you to completely disable Windows updates. You can delay or block major Windows updates and continue to receive vital security patches. Choose an option below for instructions on delaying or blocking Windows 10 updates.
You can temporarily block major Windows updates from downloading automatically using a metered connection. Metered connections limit the data usage of Windows 10 for users who have limited data plans. You can use this feature to configure a network connection as metered, which will block your device from getting Windows feature updates. Setting a metered connection will block feature updates as well as quality updates. Priority updates like security patches will still download through Windows Update.
Note: Using a metered connection may affect App updates from the Windows store as well as the automatic synchronization of offline files.
Use the following steps to set your connection as metered:
Note: You will need to set your metered connection to Off when you are ready to install major Windows updates.
- Click the Start menu and select Settings.
- Select Network & internet.
- Choose the connection you want to set as metered. You can choose Wi-Fi or Ethernet from the "Network and Internet" section.
- Choose the network you want to set as metered. In this example, we are setting the Acer Wi-Fi connection to metered.
- Set the Metered connection toggle switch to On.