Travelmate P259-G2-MG not booting after bios update.

Options

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Also, what happens when you disconnect the rtc battery to reset the bios parameters?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @JackE

It was required that he do a BIOS update in order to use RS6 (Redstone 6---Windows 10 1903).

@Shaqib_khan

You can check Windows Update to see if there are any updates.  I would recommend installing the updates.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,486 Trailblazer
    Options
    JordanB>>>It was required that he do a BIOS update in order to use RS6 (Redstone 6---Windows 10 1903).>>>

Aye yi yi! If that's true, even more Win10 update headaches to come!   :/    I probably would've waited to see if Win10 1908 or 2003 installed rather than risk the firmware update.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shaqib_khan
    Shaqib_khan Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options
    JackE said:
    Likely an adverse side effect of the BIOS v1.51 update. Were you originally trying to fix another problem with BIOS v1.49 by installing v1.51? Jack E/NJ
    As mentioned, performance issues. 
  • Shaqib_khan
    Options
    Also, what happens when you disconnect the rtc battery to reset the bios parameters?
    There is no battery on motherboard to reset bios.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    BIOS firmware would not cause Win10 to boot slowly. Win10 would cause Win10 to boot slowly. What Win10 version was on the machine? And there  is a CMOS coin cell battery on the mainboard bottom. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shaqib_khan
    Options
    JordanB said:
    @JackE

It was required that he do a BIOS update in order to use RS6 (Redstone 6---Windows 10 1903).

@Shaqib_khan

You can check Windows Update to see if there are any updates.  I would recommend installing the updates.

Yes, its now showing the 1903 update. Installing
  • JackE
    Options
    Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shaqib_khan
    Options
    JackE said:
    BIOS firmware would not cause Win10 to boot slowly. Win10 would cause Win10 to boot slowly. What Win10 version was on the machine? And there  is a CMOS coin cell battery on the mainboard bottom. Jack E/NJ

I was on win 10 1809. Did all windows update but performance didn't improved. Friend suggested to do bios update beacuse it worked for him. 
    Will try cmos bios reset after updates are finished.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,730 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Does the battery problem still remain?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options
    egydiocoelho  Maybe 'no news' is 'good news'?  :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shaqib_khan
    Options
    Does the battery problem still remain?
    JackE said:
    egydiocoelho  Maybe 'no news' is 'good news'?  :)    Jack E/NJ
    'No news' is 'no news'. Currently suffering from the pain of windows update and data limits. 
    Will update when i will manage to pull something up. Planning to do a cmos bios reset but afraid of taking out motherboard. And nearest service center is around 250kms from my home. 

Well one more question, is skiping bios versions allowed? Beacuse i skipped from 1.49 to 1.51 without updating 1.50.
  • JackE
    Options
    egydiocoelho>>>it should be written in the bios changelog. >>>

In theory?  :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shaqib_khan
    Options
    JackE said:
    In theory, the later versions are supposed to be cumulative and allowed.  :)    In practice, firmware changes are always risky.  :o   Jack E/NJ
    So, in practice what would be less risky approach to updating a bios if you actually need to update?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,730 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In fact, I think bios changelogs should better explain what will be updated. What happens, however, is that manufacturers often don't clearly state what each bios upgrade will do on laptops.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    Options
    >>>So, in practice what would be less risky approach to updating a bios if you actually need to update? >>>

Well, if it was mine with v1.51, I'd probably take the risk, boot it up without the battery, try to go back to the factory v1.49, and hope I don't brick it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shaqib_khan
    Options
    @JackE i was actually asking about bios update procedure which is less risky when we actually need to do bios update.
  • JackE
    Options
    Shaqib_khan>>>Today i made a bios update from 1.49 to 1.51 >>>

I thought you originally said that you already did the update? I'm confused now. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ