Does Aspire A315-53G-56HB compatible with SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB?

ZenitramPRO
ZenitramPRO Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi Acer folks!
I have Aspire 3 A315-53G-56HB and like to upgrade it to it's full potential because it's so slow working on HHD and got also couple of questions.
I've been reading a lot of post for A315-53G if 97EVO NVMe M.2 500GB is fine with the unit and kinda hesitant what m.2 capacity to select because someone said the only tested is only for 250GB but some says 500GB also works fine (untested). What is the highest upgrade possible for my M.2 slot and would it be fine if i will not replace may 1TB HDD? Lastly, I'd like to use Windows 7, can someone recommend me if it's Best to downgrade OS from Windows 10 to Windows 7. THanks!

My Laptop specs:

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Like I said earlier, an NVME card is probably a waste of money on this machine.  500GB may or may not work and may or may not be able to achieve its full speed potential.

So if it were mine, I'd try the biggest plain vanilla m.2 SATA3 card I could afford from a vendor that has a good returns policy in case it didn't work out irrespective of whether you choose an NVME or SATA3.

You have a better chance of getting the SATA3 to work than an NVME.

And any m.2 SATA3 card will be faster than your HDD and should get along just fine with it as an add on.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZenitramPRO
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    I successfully upgraded my Unit Acer Aspire 3 A315-53G with Samsung 860 EVO 500Gb SATA m.2 without problem. I have no regret on getting this upgrade because my unit doesnt hangs anymore and provides fast response unlike using HHD. I'm planning to upgrade it's ram to DDR4 16Gbx1 2133 or this

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi ZenitramPRO
       Kindly check the Storage information of your unit below.

I hope its helpful to you. Also check the below link for the upgrades of your unit. They have the right model number that is compatible to your unit.
       https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-3-a315-53g
       Hit Yes if it is useful! :)
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • ZenitramPRO
    I mean basically, is it safe to use use Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 500GB NVMe on my hidden M2 slot?
    Someone installed Samsung 860 Evo Plus 250GB >> 
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/567027/aspire-3-ssd-upgrade
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I mean basically, is it safe to use use Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 500GB NVMe on my hidden M2 slot?
    Someone installed Samsung 860 Evo Plus 250GB >> https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/567027/aspire-3-ssd-upgrade
    Check the link below. 

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-860-Evo-250GB-vs-Samsung-970-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-250GB/3949vsm494033
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • This site model SDAPNUW-512G-1014 512GB is nvme and some users have successfully installed: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-A315-53/94889
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Safe? Sure it's safe. But an NVME EVO is probably a waste of money and can be fussy to get working properly in your machine. If it were mine, I'd try the biggest plain vanilla m.2 SATA3 card I could afford from a vendor that has a good returns policy in case it didn't work out. Any m.2 SATA3 card will be a whole lot faster than your HDD and should get along just fine with it. As for Win7, sure everybody who doesn't like headaches probably wants to use it on these newer laptops. But it's really not practical. Instead, I recommended dual-booting Win10 with LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.2. It can be rather easily configured to have nearly the same look, feel, function and stability of Microsoft's last halfway decent Win7. Mint is all I use now on my Win10 machines since I can still access and use all my Win10 Microsoft software and files like Office365 from Mint and its own Office-like application LibreOffice.  You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between Win7 and Mint GUIs and desktop. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZenitramPRO
    This site model SDAPNUW-512G-1014 512GB is nvme and some users have successfully installed: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-A315-53/94889
    Egydiocoelho,
    I'll consider this. 

Does anyone tried SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB on A315-53G?
  • ZenitramPRO
    JackE said:
    Safe? Sure it's safe. But an NVME EVO is probably a waste of money and can be fussy to get working properly in your machine. If it were mine, I'd try the biggest plain vanilla m.2 SATA3 card I could afford from a vendor that has a good returns policy in case it didn't work out. Any m.2 SATA3 card will be a whole lot faster than your HDD and should get along just fine with it. As for Win7, sure everybody who doesn't like headaches probably wants to use it on these newer laptops. But it's really not practical. Instead, I recommended dual-booting Win10 with LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.2. It can be rather easily configured to have nearly the same look, feel, function and stability of Microsoft's last halfway decent Win7. Mint is all I use now on my Win10 machines since I can still access and use all my Win10 Microsoft software and files like Office365 from Mint and its own Office-like application LibreOffice.  You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between Win7 and Mint GUIs and desktop. Jack E/NJ

JackE,

I followed the discussion and read that Windows 7 is not supported by my i5 7th gen, but there's a bunch of stuff to do to make it work but opted not to do it, so i'm still sticking with my Windows 10. Do you know if SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB on A315-53G?
  • ZenitramPRO
    christy1 said:
    Someone installed Samsung 860 Evo Plus 250GB >> https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/567027/aspire-3-ssd-upgrade
    Check the link below. 

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-860-Evo-250GB-vs-Samsung-970-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-250GB/3949vsm494033
    I'm planning to buy M.2 for the hidden slot first and still use the HDD. Is 500GB Samsung 970 Evo compatible?

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Like I said earlier, an NVME card is probably a waste of money on this machine.  500GB may or may not work and may or may not be able to achieve its full speed potential.

So if it were mine, I'd try the biggest plain vanilla m.2 SATA3 card I could afford from a vendor that has a good returns policy in case it didn't work out irrespective of whether you choose an NVME or SATA3.

You have a better chance of getting the SATA3 to work than an NVME.

And any m.2 SATA3 card will be faster than your HDD and should get along just fine with it as an add on.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZenitramPRO
    JackE said:
    @JackE,

Got it! The reason why I'm eager to find results for Samsung 970 EVO 500GB/1TB because i'm looking ahead and would like to migrate my upgrades to a custom rig. 

BTW, After i install any M2 SATA SSD, does it work well with my existing HDD? Or should i replace it with another 2.5" SSD for optimum performance? 
  • JackE
    As I just posted on the other thread you tuned into, check your mainboard's m.2 socket before you plunk extra money down on a 970 nvme. Some models were equipped with 2 socket keys. If it also has a B key the 970 won't fit since it only has one card slot to fit the M key but not the B key.  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/726635/#Comment_726635

If you get the m.2 card working OK, I'd suggest migrating the system on the HDD to the m.2 card for faster boots and overall response. Then use the HDD as the D : \ drive to see how it goes. However, 2.5" SATA3 SSDs with huge capacities are now becoming dirt-cheap so you might want to consider that option too. So many choices for you to choose from!   :)  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZenitramPRO
    JackE said: 
    If you get the m.2 card working OK, I'd suggest migrating the system on the HDD to the m.2 card for faster boots and overall response. Then use the HDD as the D : \ drive to see how it goes. However, 2.5" SATA3 SSDs with huge capacities are now becoming dirt-cheap so you might want to consider that option too. So many choices for you to choose from!   :)  Jack E/NJ

@JackE

Right! I'm kinda hesitant to replace the 1TB HDD because i still need it for storage. Also, i really wanted the 970 EVO Plus NVMe 500GB/1TB on the M.2 Slot. Still looking for results hahaha. When you see one, please update this post.

Thanks!
  • ZenitramPRO
    @JackE ,
    Follow up Q: After i install any M2 SATA SSD, does it work well with my existing HDD? Or should i replace it with another 2.5" SSD for optimum performance? 

Thanks!
  • The ssd m2 2280 sata 3 will work well with your hdd without problems.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ZenitramPRO
    edited October 2019
    The ssd m2 2280 sata 3 will work well with your hdd without problems.

egydiocoelho ,
    Oh i see. sorry i'm curious, what if i chose NVMe, did you know if it will also work well with HDD?

Thanks!
  • JackE
    The SATA3 is a safer choice. BTW, the 860EVO is not nvme. Be careful what you choose. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZenitramPRO
    JackE said:
    The SATA3 is a safer choice. BTW, the 860EVO is not nvme. Be careful what you choose. Jack E/NJ

@JackE,
    Ooh! If it weren't you told me i wouldn't know. 

Thanks!
  • ZenitramPRO
    christy1 said:
    Check the link below. 

Cristy,
    I'm planning to buy M.2 for the hidden slot first and still use the HDD. Is 500GB Samsung 970 Evo compatible?

• ZenitramPRO
    christy1 said:
    Check the link below. 

Cristy,

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    A315-53G has pcie lanes of version 3 but at 1x or 2x speeds. the evo runs at pcie 4x speeds. so it will slow down or refuse to work at all.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.