Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How to install Ubuntu 18.04 on Acer Aspire A715-71G-554N?

AndrwxzcAndrwxzc Posts: 1Member New User
edited September 2018 in Linux
I bought a Acer Aspire A715-71G-554N and I want to remove windows 10 and install Ubuntu 18.04 on this. Can I do this simply by configuring my laptop to start USB first with Ubuntu and do a normal installation to erase the entire disk? What else should I do?

FAQ & Answers

• Jack22Jack22 Posts: 2,050ACE Pathfinder

Here is what you have to do :

1. Backup your data !
      All of your data will be wiped with your Windows installation so do not miss this step.

2. Create a bootable USB Ubuntu installation.
      Here is the official guide on Windows and on Ubuntu.
      Alternatively you can follow those instructions to create the bootable media.

3. Boot the Ubuntu installation USB drive and choose Install Ubuntu.

4. Follow the installation process
      At the step Installation Type select Replace Windows 10 with Ubuntu.

enter image description here

• JackEJackE Posts: 18,101ACE Trailblazer
    It's a lot less risky just shrinking the Windows system partition to a minimal size to make a lot of room for ubuntu and its swap, installing ubuntu dual boot in dual boot mode, and put grubx64 ahead of Win boot manager. You'll forget that Win is even there and available should you ever need it for something. Jack E/NJ
    UBUNTU
    ( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation. Shrink it a lot if you want
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus, a freeware download.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper
    (14) Pretend Windows isn't there anymore

• Jeremy_J7Jeremy_J7 Posts: 2Member New User
    Hi Guys. I have Windows 10 Installed on my HDD and a partitioned LM19.1 with swap. However I didn't want to mess up my Windows by installing Linux so I installed Grub onto a flash drive. So to boot into Linux I insert my flash drive then boot into bios and change from UFEI to Legacy and then only does my USB with grub become readable otherwise it's not possible in UFEI. Now I want to install another Linux Distro however I have set a Supervisor Password but my boot manage still only shows 'Windows Boot Manager' in the bios boot section.
    So how can I make it show a Bootable USB to Dual Boot My Linux without Messing Up My Windows?

Your Help is Much Appreciated.
    Jeremy_J7
  • JackEJackE Posts: 18,101ACE Trailblazer
    As  noted in #1 above --- https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047 --- ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus, a freeware download

Your boot LM iso installation stick must be GPT partitioned, not MBR partitioned, or UEFI bootstrap won't see it.

Jack E/NJ

• Jeremy_J7Jeremy_J7 Posts: 2Member New User
    Thank You. I will try this out when I get time this Week as I am Busy With College.