X35 flickering(Acer X35 monitor)

Answers

• Feklar
    Feklar Member Posts: 20 Networker
    kot0005 said:
    Feklar said:

Which review did you see that states this flicker is "va panel issue"? None that I have seen. Please provide us, the actual owners of this monitor, the reviews you have seen that proves this. If not, than it is simply an unqualified opinion.

EEH said:

When you stop supporting and buying these super overpriced monitors (VA for 2.5k$!!), companies will stop selling such ***** products.

But who listen ? Nvidia acer asus doesn't care about you guys. They need your money only.

Use your brain guys and return all these monitors to them. This issue CANNOT BE FIXED. It is VA panel issue.

Watch PC monitors video. There are also a few users who posted their videos on the issue.
    None of the videos have either stated or proven that this is a VA panel issue. I've had a few VA panel monitors with and without sync and none had this flickering issue.
  • TweetiePie
    TweetiePie Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    edited September 2019
    kot0005 said:
    Hello

I have just purchased an X35 it is arriving in the next day or two can anyone advise what can I do to ascertain if my monitor has the same issues of flickering or scan lines which seem to dominate this thread any help in the regard would be really appreciated.
    What settings should I use. And what am i really supposed to do in order to emulate these issues as I really do not knwo what to look for well I do but you know what I mean. Ill report back with my findings. Thank you
    there is a link image in this thread that u can use to check, you can also switch to HDMI input on the monitor without an actual HDMI cable connected to the monitor.
    Hello

Thank you, I switched to HDMI even though no cable is connected and I could see a small pulsing is that the dreaded flicker.
  • TweetiePie
    edited September 2019

Hello Folks

I have been scratching my head out why are the menu under picture, Dark Boost & Auto brightness & SDR VARIABLE BACKLIGHT are all greyed out in the menu can’t seem to access those settings anything I’m doing wrong, or how do I access them.

Thanks

• TweetiePie
    Oh got it i turned windwos HDR to off now  I can access the otherwise greyed out settings, by the way that grey no signal box picture above shows some distortion middle left when I move the window up and down anyone else getting that distortion.
  • TweetiePie
    My OSD menu has no flickering whatsoever strangely enough.
  • TweetiePie
    Oh got it i turned windwos HDR to off now  I can access the otherwise greyed out settings, by the way that grey no signal box picture above shows some distortion middle left when I move the window up and down anyone else getting that distortion.

Changed to hdr again and that issue is now gone strangely enough changing to HDMI I do see like what seems to be pulsing but going back to DP it is gone so maybe the pulsing is because there is no signal and not a fault of the monitor so far I have no complaints with my monitor but is there a way or can someone show me how to recreate the flickering or scan lines just to be 100% sure.

I have set windows settings to H D R I have set the refresh rate to 144 Hrz overdrive is set to extreme. Thank you all for yoru time

• kot0005
    kot0005 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited September 2019
    Feklar said:
    None of the videos have either stated or proven that this is a VA panel issue. I've had a few VA panel monitors with and without sync and none had this flickering issue.
    I never said it was VA panel... You asked for proof of the issue and I told you how to find it on reviews and YT. I didnt see you specifically asked for it being VA panel issue my bad.
  • TweetiePie
    Paco572 said:
    kot0005 said:
    Hello

I have just purchased an X35 it is arriving in the next day or two can anyone advise what can I do to ascertain if my monitor has the same issues of flickering or scan lines which seem to dominate this thread any help in the regard would be really appreciated.
    What settings should I use. And what am i really supposed to do in order to emulate these issues as I really do not knwo what to look for well I do but you know what I mean. Ill report back with my findings. Thank you
    there is a link image in this thread that u can use to check, you can also switch to HDMI input on the monitor without an actual HDMI cable connected to the monitor.
    Sorry kot0005, but can you explain why switching to HDMI input on the monitor without an actual HDMI cable hooked has anything to do with the flicker issues? Just wondering.

As a side note, anybody thinking of buying this monitor that might be thinking not to after reading all the reported issues, GO OUT AND BUY IT. It's awesome and way better than anything out there visually speaking. I'm running the latest drivers and playing only 2 games Forza Horizon 4 and Steep, without issues.

Set windows to use HRD in display settings.
    DO this and see if it helps in other games. Set BACKLIGHT RESPONSE TO DESKTOP and AUTO CONTRAST ON and everything else at default. Since I'm running HDR my monitor is set to 144hz

I hope this helps,
    Cheers

PACO572

Hello

Only seeing your post not now my bad i'm new so forgive me. I could not find the AUTO CONTRAST anyway did what you have stated but I presume I ahev afault free monitor thankfully no scan lines and no flickering 100% perfect.

• Feklar
    kot0005 said:
    Feklar said:
    I never said it was VA panel... You asked for proof of the issue and I told you how to find it on reviews and YT. I didnt see you specifically asked for it being VA panel issue my bad.
    I was originally quoting the user who bashed the product even though he doesn't own one since he said this was a " a VA panel issue" when it isn't. On a side note, I experienced this flickering only once playing HL2 but not since. I played all 3 Bioshock games completely and never saw the flickering once. Also have not seen any in LFD2. It is definitely not in all games. That makes me hopeful that not all units have an issue and maybe driver updates may help. We'll see. Other than that brief flickering, mine has been flawless and a joy to use. I'm definitely keeping mine.
  • TweetiePie
    Feklar said:
    kot0005 said:
    Feklar said:
    I was originally quoting the user who bashed the product even though he doesn't own one since he said this was a " a VA panel issue" when it isn't. On a side note, I experienced this flickering only once playing HL2 but not since. I played all 3 Bioshock games completely and never saw the flickering once. Also have not seen any in LFD2. It is definitely not in all games. That makes me hopeful that not all units have an issue and maybe driver updates may help. We'll see. Other than that brief flickering, mine has been flawless and a joy to use. I'm definitely keeping mine.

Can I ask what monitor settings are you using in playing HDR games. My settings are 144Hrz overdrive extreme backlight response set to Desktop and windows HDR to on when on desktop I turn HDR off as I see the halo effect with HDR on.

• Feklar
    Haven't tried an HDR game yet since  I think I only own one but haven't had time to try it yet. Right now I'm using 144hz, Gsync and overdrive on normal. I keep the variable backlight on all the time even when web surfing. On the desktop I only notice blooming is when on a gray webpage or background. White, black or any other color doesn't show blooming from the cursor when the fald is on. Once I have time I'll check some hdr games. The first game I tried was Black Mesa and wow. The difference fald with VA is amazing. Better any other monitor I have ever used.
  • Boatkettlecheese
    Boatkettlecheese Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Ive mostly only see it in HDR enabled games to be honest I rarely see it in none HDR games.

Ive seen it in gears 5, battlefield 5, battlefront 2, resident evil 2 rm, shadow of mordor and division 2, assasins creed both latest ones and metro exodus.
    But this monitor is supposed to be mostly about HDR gaming. Basically in every hdr title I have played I have seen it. -flicker + lines.

Needs to be fixed. No word yet Manny on whats going on? :/

• Freedomx90a
    Freedomx90a Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Feklar said:
    Haven't tried an HDR game yet since  I think I only own one but haven't had time to try it yet. Right now I'm using 144hz, Gsync and overdrive on normal. I keep the variable backlight on all the time even when web surfing. On the desktop I only notice blooming is when on a gray webpage or background. White, black or any other color doesn't show blooming from the cursor when the fald is on. Once I have time I'll check some hdr games. The first game I tried was Black Mesa and wow. The difference fald with VA is amazing. Better any other monitor I have ever used.
    Hi! First post here. I've been using this monitor for almost a month now. Bought it at my local Micro center. My first unit died in 15 hrs of usage in a span of 2 days. Screen just went blank and blue LED started to blink. Micro center exchange it for a new one and since then, never had any problems. I'm using the exact same settings your using 144hz, overdrive normal and variable backlight on. I tested some brief games like shadow of tomb raider, witcher 3, metro exodus, control and FFXV. I tested all these games on HDR except control and witcher 3. I didn't see any flickering in those games on my brief test. I've been dwelling on AC Odyssey with HDR and this game blows me out of the water on HDR mode. I'm using my own user profile in the monitor with brightness set to 40, gamma +0.3, red 100, blue 99, green 98 (I think) and never saw any flickering. One time on AC Odyssey, I had to disable HDR due to a scene with extreme brightness, I had a hard time looking at the monitor. My room was dark as well. I went to this cave with an ambient low light setting of the game and I tried using the action profile of the monitor and BOOM! a lot of flickering. I tried moving inside the cave, the darker it gets, the flickering gets worse. If I move to a brighter area inside the cave, flickering is less. I went back to my own user profile in the monitor, flickering stop even if I move back and forth in the cave. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try going out of the cave with Action profile set on the monitor to test if it flicker. I'm keeping this monitor, I love playing on HDR mode and I will not go back to playing sdr if hdr is available.
  • kot0005
    kot0005 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Paco572 said:
    This was taken from PC Monitors
    "For most games and other full screen applications that support HDR, the Acer X35 will automatically switch into its HDR operating mode. As of the latest Windows 10 update, relevant HDR settings in Windows are found in ‘Windows HD Color settings’ which can be accessed via ‘Display settings’ (right click the desktop). Most game titles will activate HDR correctly when the appropriate in-game setting is selected. A minority of game titles that support HDR will only run in HDR if the setting is active in Windows as well."

I was under the impression windows HDR had to be enabled in order to use HDR but this is not the case obviously. HDR is software dependant/activated with or without windows HDR enabled. That being said 144mhz is still the HDR maximum allowable refresh rate.

I purchased 2 new games and will test them out, to give a better idea of what's going on.

I too love my monitor, FH4 is stunning especially at night.

My settings,

HDR enabled in windows, 
    Overdrive set to normal,
    Backlight response set to Desktop
    Auto Black Level is on.

If I set Backlight Response to anything other than Desktop, I get serious blooming/flickering with any light, a street light or headlight moving across the screen, does flickers bad.

I still get some flickering with it set to DESKTOP, but for the most part the flickering effect is minimized but not eliminated.

This needs to be fixed. I've never seen a monitor, especially at this high end price have such issues. At this point, to say there is nothing wrong with this monitor is an out right lie. That being said, I do and expect Acer to respond to this issue and what plans they have to address the issue, beyond what they have already said, hopefully in timely fashion before someone files a class action suit which I'm very confident will happen if not addressed.

I will stand behind Acer and give them my support, for now.

Cheers
    PACO572
    Why use Desktop backlight setting ? its slower than Gaming . Basically the main reason to purchase this is the FALD and its fast responsiveness.
  • Freedomx90a
    Freedomx90a Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Paco572 said:
    Feklar said:
    Hi! First post here. I've been using this monitor for almost a month now. Bought it at my local Micro center. My first unit died in 15 hrs of usage in a span of 2 days. Screen just went blank and blue LED started to blink. Micro center exchange it for a new one and since then, never had any problems. I'm using the exact same settings your using 144hz, overdrive normal and variable backlight on. I tested some brief games like shadow of tomb raider, witcher 3, metro exodus, control and FFXV. I tested all these games on HDR except control and witcher 3. I didn't see any flickering in those games on my brief test. I've been dwelling on AC Odyssey with HDR and this game blows me out of the water on HDR mode. I'm using my own user profile in the monitor with brightness set to 40, gamma +0.3, red 100, blue 99, green 98 (I think) and never saw any flickering. One time on AC Odyssey, I had to disable HDR due to a scene with extreme brightness, I had a hard time looking at the monitor. My room was dark as well. I went to this cave with an ambient low light setting of the game and I tried using the action profile of the monitor and BOOM! a lot of flickering. I tried moving inside the cave, the darker it gets, the flickering gets worse. If I move to a brighter area inside the cave, flickering is less. I went back to my own user profile in the monitor, flickering stop even if I move back and forth in the cave. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try going out of the cave with Action profile set on the monitor to test if it flicker. I'm keeping this monitor, I love playing on HDR mode and I will not go back to playing sdr if hdr is available.
    Hi there, I'm just a little confused by your post, You say you've tested a variety of games in HDR. Your settings however indicate you are not using HDR. Let me explain.
     " your using 144hz, overdrive normal and variable backlight on". Well if you were using HDR then variable backlight would be grayed out along with your gamma, red, blue and green settings. All of these are grey out when you enable HDR in windows. My understanding is you must enable HDR in windows in order to use true HDR. There is a section on this at PC monitor. I will go have look and post some of that imformation here.

PACO572
    Sorry for the confusion. These are my user profile settings.
    Monitor Frequency: 200hz. (Nvidia display setting 144hz, RGB, Full, 10 bit)
    Backlight response: Gaming (got used to blooming effect, annoys me sometimes)
    Dark Boost: Off
    Auto Brightness: Off
    Auto Black level: Off
    SDR variable backlight: On
    Overdrive: Normal
    Brightness: 40
    Contrast: Default
    RGB Color user: Same as PC monitor review
    (All these settings are from PC monitor and it works for me)

I tested those games I mentioned on my first post briefly and at the time I tested it, Windows HDR is enabled. HDR gaming and video streaming enabled. Didn't bother messing with the rest of the windows display settings. Since I've been playing AC Odyssey for the last 3 and a half weeks, I found out on this game, even if Windows HDR setting is disabled, as long AC Odyssey is on fullscreen mode, you can play HDR or SDR by enabling the option in the in-game video option of AC Odyssey. I haven't tried it on the other games I mentioned if its possible just to activate the HDR option in the in-game video option and just leave windows HDR deactivated. But if you need to watch youtube HDR, windows HDR need to be enabled.

Forgot to mention, I have flickering on OSD menu if there is no signal. No flickering if monitor is receiving signal from Video card.

I'm happy with this monitor now. I hope I don't encounter anymore flickering that will bother my gaming experience. For now, the screen flickering I reported doesn't bother me. And Yes! Acer and Nvidia must address this screen flickering issue for a $2500 monitor and more than 2 yrs of R&D, they should have perfected this.

By the way, did Acer stop selling the x35? Its now unavailable at Amazon. Even my local Microcenter did not re-stock this monitor.
  • TweetiePie

Thank you all to those who have replied. To be honest I have no HDR Games in my games library suppose I’ll have to go and purchase then download  a HDR game to see for myself if I have a defective monitor I hate to say it I could not justify paying what I did for this monitor to see any flickering on game screen I doubt I would keep this monitor but instead I would return it for a complete refund but so far I do not see any flickering on the desktop is there any way to test this flickering without purchasing a HDR game someone uploaded a picture of green bamboo vista and there are already scan lines in that picture so that picture is as good as hopeless.

I don’t know my monitor seems to be 100% with no fan noise ramping up and down and it is perfect I have no complaints but honestly, I have not played any HDR games as I do not own any.

Is there a way to test for the flickering screen using a HDR without resorting to purchase a HDR game.

Thanks

• Boatkettlecheese
    Boatkettlecheese Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon

Thank you all to those who have replied. To be honest I have no HDR Games in my games library suppose I’ll have to go and purchase then download  a HDR game to see for myself if I have a defective monitor I hate to say it I could not justify paying what I did for this monitor to see any flickering on game screen I doubt I would keep this monitor but instead I would return it for a complete refund but so far I do not see any flickering on the desktop is there any way to test this flickering without purchasing a HDR game someone uploaded a picture of green bamboo vista and there are already scan lines in that picture so that picture is as good as hopeless.

I don’t know my monitor seems to be 100% with no fan noise ramping up and down and it is perfect I have no complaints but honestly, I have not played any HDR games as I do not own any.

Is there a way to test for the flickering screen using a HDR without resorting to purchase a HDR game.

Thanks

Sign-up to uplay+ free subscription and cancel it straight way playing a couple of decent HDR titles, or sign up to the cheap Microsoft game pass.
  • Aldur67
    Aldur67 Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    I'm happy to report that I'm not seeing any flickering in Borderlands 3 with HDR on or HDR off. I wish Nvidia freestyle worked with BL3 so I could jack up the sharpening filter to see if I could reproduce flickering that way. But I'm glad to see that this problem doesn't affect BL3.

On a side note, I can reproduce this issue with Far Cry 5 with HDR by waiting till the sun is overhead and looking directly at a white/light-colored dirt road.
  • TweetiePie
    I watched a you tube video of that flickering you are referring to would you call it a fault I would not imagine it would make me want to return the monitor if that is all that happened as regards to flickering.

Aldur67 said:
    I'm happy to report that I'm not seeing any flickering in Borderlands 3 with HDR on or HDR off. I wish Nvidia freestyle worked with BL3 so I could jack up the sharpening filter to see if I could reproduce flickering that way. But I'm glad to see that this problem doesn't affect BL3.

On a side note, I can reproduce this issue with Far Cry 5 with HDR by waiting till the sun is overhead and looking directly at a white/light-colored dirt road.

• TweetiePie

Sign-up to uplay+ free subscription and cancel it straight way playing a couple of decent HDR titles, or sign up to the cheap Microsoft game pass.
    Thank you for the information will investigate and maybe sign up to one of thsoe packages to see for myself or maybe just buy teh division 2, as it is in HDR.
This discussion has been closed.