X35 flickering(Acer X35 monitor)

Answers

• SopaConleche
    SopaConleche Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    edited September 2019
    kot0005 said:
    Feklar said:
    I also have a flickering issue. Am I to understand that Acer would like defective monitors that cost nearly $3k to be repackaged and sent in for inspection at our expense? Even under warranty? Tech support has no idea how to repair the issue. Repair department also has no idea what to fix. Virtually all of these units have this issue and yet you need a customers unit to diagnose? I have a better idea. How about Acer pull a few new ones from the warehouse and test them to diagnose the issue. Why should we as customers for a high end product shoulder the cost, leaving us with no monitor to use for who knows how long. This is the best Acer can do? This is unacceptable for a flagship product. I believe that if some units are sent in, they won't be repaired, instead they will be returned with the same issue if not new ones. This is very disappointing. Wish I would have realized this before I  bought one or before I was out of my return window. This is a very expensive lesson but one I personally will learn from when I make my next decision to buy a  monitor from a company.
    You can charge back. Contact your bank/Credit card company. Open a dispute on the transaction.
    If you're going to go this route, you can bring up this from their product page https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-series/predatorx35

Far as I can tell it's false advertising at this point.

As for kot0005's response to me, the issue is in conjunction with the monitor bought a new PC at over $3k, my old PC was no slouch and perfectly capable of maxing out my old monitor, so moving back to it would essentially cause $3k of components go to waste as their prices drop and better stuff comes out. If I were to return this the option would be to get a non HDR1000 monitor such at the LG34GK950F or upcoming LG38GL950GB monitors, and having to wait at least a year or two before even considering upgrading again as I typically keep a monitor for several years. But I'm currently leaning towards doing just that and returning the unit to the store, maybe trying one exchange just incase it's not actually a 100% rate problem. Even if it also has the defect at least I'd be taking another defective monitor off the shelf and sparing someone.

Acer really should be providing replacement units once a fix is found, and then allowing the return to happen afterwards at Acer's expense not the customer's. I live in NYC which means square footage in my apartment is at a premium, the prospect of keeping the box around for weeks or even months just so I can ship it in the future isn't very exciting as I don't have much space for it. If I knew I could get sent one first I could get rid of the packaging and wait for a fix knowing I'd have no downtime. I bet many users here would've done the same. But instead we're having returns, cycling through units as people fish for a working unit (if they exist), talks about chargebacks, etc... Surely that's costing Acer money.
  • kot0005
    kot0005 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited September 2019
    PC monitors, who reviewed this monitor put out a tweet.

• Delta_Payne
    Delta_Payne Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I think he made the tweet because i asked if he maybe has some news. https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/update-for-acer-x35-asus-pg35vq/  
    Maybe now we get some answers
  • kot0005
    I think he made the tweet because i asked if he maybe has some news. https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/update-for-acer-x35-asus-pg35vq/  
    Maybe now we get some answers
    Doubt it, unless other media picks it up there will be no answers. Took a lot of outcry for when 2080Ti's were dying when they first came out.
  • SopaConleche
    SopaConleche Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Well, my story with this is over. Went to microcenter to exchange it. They let me open the new unit in store so I wouldn't have to transport it if it had the issue and it did. They said I could try a 3rd unit but decided against spending the time.

I'm just going to buy a monitor in the $1k range and wait for a future monitor that doesn't have issues such as this. 

Never got a denial that this isn't every unit. I'm thinking it's every single unit and people who report they don't have issue just haven't met the conditions to see it. Either that or a very majority of the units are defective. 
  • kot0005
    Well, my story with this is over. Went to microcenter to exchange it. They let me open the new unit in store so I wouldn't have to transport it if it had the issue and it did. They said I could try a 3rd unit but decided against spending the time.

I'm just going to buy a monitor in the $1k range and wait for a future monitor that doesn't have issues such as this. 

Never got a denial that this isn't every unit. I'm thinking it's every single unit and people who report they don't have issue just haven't met the conditions to see it. Either that or a very majority of the units are defective. 
    did u see if they had the PG35VQ ?
  • Delta_Payne
    Delta_Payne Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

In the meanwhile my Acer X35 arrived.
    And what should I say... IT ALSO FLICKERS
    This is the 3rd device i'm sending back. Had two PG35VQ and now this X35.

I made a fresh new install of the Nvidia Driver and made a Factory Reset on the Monitor.
    I'll think we need to wait much longer than expectet to get 1000Nits HDR :(
  • EEH
    EEH Member Posts: 2 New User

When you stop supporting and buying these super overpriced monitors (VA for 2.5k$!!), companies will stop selling such ***** products.

But who listen ? Nvidia acer asus doesn't care about you guys. They need your money only.

Use your brain guys and return all these monitors to them. This issue CANNOT BE FIXED. It is VA panel issue.

• kot0005
    Hardware unboxed just posted a review, everyone ask them about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv-mhycc3us
  • Feklar
    Feklar Member Posts: 20 Networker

Which review did you see that states this flicker is "va panel issue"? None that I have seen. Please provide us, the actual owners of this monitor, the reviews you have seen that proves this. If not, than it is simply an unqualified opinion.

EEH said:

When you stop supporting and buying these super overpriced monitors (VA for 2.5k$!!), companies will stop selling such ***** products.

But who listen ? Nvidia acer asus doesn't care about you guys. They need your money only.

Use your brain guys and return all these monitors to them. This issue CANNOT BE FIXED. It is VA panel issue.

• Iwantedto
    Iwantedto Member Posts: 4 New User
    Most certainly this is not a VA-Panel issue. BUT every monitor will have this issue nonetheless, be it the Acer X35 or the Asus PG35VQ (Or the one from AOC).

Everyone can reproduce the flickering by turning on certain games and enabling certain settings, like PCMonitors did and other people show in YT videos. So most likely this is an issue with Nvidias g-sync drivers. I don't know if they give a *****, I doubt it though which would be sad, especially after watching their propaganda video about their g-sync quality control which is ***** as you can see.

I wanted one of those monitors so bad but at this point there is NO reason to give them YOUR money until they fix THEIR stuff. Because if you buy one now, chances are it never get's fixed. Newer games come out and the problems persist or new problems occur. Then you can't return that broken thing anymore and no one will buy it from you anyway.
  • TweetiePie
    TweetiePie Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    Hello

I have just purchased an X35 it is arriving in the next day or two can anyone advise what can I do to ascertain if my monitor has the same issues of flickering or scan lines which seem to dominate this thread any help in the regard would be really appreciated.
    What settings should I use. And what am i really supposed to do in order to emulate these issues as I really do not knwo what to look for well I do but you know what I mean. Ill report back with my findings. Thank you
  • kot0005
    Feklar said:

Which review did you see that states this flicker is "va panel issue"? None that I have seen. Please provide us, the actual owners of this monitor, the reviews you have seen that proves this. If not, than it is simply an unqualified opinion.

EEH said:

Watch PC monitors video. There are also a few users who posted their videos on the issue.
  • kot0005
    Hello

I have just purchased an X35 it is arriving in the next day or two can anyone advise what can I do to ascertain if my monitor has the same issues of flickering or scan lines which seem to dominate this thread any help in the regard would be really appreciated.
    What settings should I use. And what am i really supposed to do in order to emulate these issues as I really do not knwo what to look for well I do but you know what I mean. Ill report back with my findings. Thank you
    there is a link image in this thread that u can use to check, you can also switch to HDMI input on the monitor without an actual HDMI cable connected to the monitor.
  • Boatkettlecheese
    Boatkettlecheese Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I can answer this you dont get flicker but you can see the lines which accompany the flicker in the no signal box.
    These lines for myself are actually more annoying than the flicker as they heavily injure the awesome hdr experiance when you can keep seeing lines rapidly appearing over everything. Gears of war hammer of dawn scene gets ruined.
  • Boatkettlecheese
    Its the box that shows up on the monitor when you first switch the monitor on without any wires connected. Its grey and is the only thing that pops up on the screen. If you look closely at it you will see static thin lines. These lines are not by design they are the defect.
  • Boatkettlecheese
    Its pretty easy to do and see. In a matter of 8 secs
  • Aldur67
    Aldur67 Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Its the box that shows up on the monitor when you first switch the monitor on without any wires connected. Its grey and is the only thing that pops up on the screen. If you look closely at it you will see static thin lines. These lines are not by design they are the defect.
    My X35 does not get flickering with the "No Signal" box. I actually had a replacement monitor sent out to me and that new X35 had the flickering lines like what is described above. Needless to say, I sent back the new X35 and I'm keeping my old X35.

I would say that if you're X35 has flickering with the "No Signal" box then you should replace it right away.

Note that you'll also see the flickering with the OSD menu in this situation as well.
  • Boatkettlecheese
    I dont see flickering but I do see the lines as shown in the picture above. Is it possible for you to take the same picture of the box so I can compare? Thanks.
  • Boatkettlecheese
    edited September 2019
    I think I know why this is. Its because the backlight is different on each of our monitors. On mine its just light enough to show the lines. On pacos its just light enough to make it flicker and on aldurs its in that area either side that doesnt flicker or show any lines. It doesnt really matter mind because of the many different lighting levels and variants whilst showing content they all trigger all three stages at some point in time. There is just a certain shade or combination that sets the issue off and its quite a narrow threshold but it is there in all the screens.
This discussion has been closed.